• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,172 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2024 at 9:29 PM, Number 6 said:

Fortunately, the book doesn’t appear to be damaged. 

Thank you for the response. 

Argh I'm sorry this happened to you.  This level of carelessness is frustrating.  On the flip side, the new magazine slabs are really nice.  I would contact the seller and let them know.  At the very least they should pay for the cost of shipping back to CGC and the reholder fee.

Curious to know what the magazine was?

On 1/12/2024 at 12:49 PM, LudaToke said:

Argh I'm sorry this happened to you.  This level of carelessness is frustrating.  On the flip side, the new magazine slabs are really nice.  I would contact the seller and let them know.  At the very least they should pay for the cost of shipping back to CGC and the reholder fee.

Seconded, I’d contact the seller. I pack my slabs wrapped in thick layers of that good good bubble wrap in a 1095, but I did have a slab get damaged once (the box looked like USPS dropped it from a second story lol) and I was more than happy to compensate the cost of a reholder + plus a little extra for the inconvenience. The options I gave were full refund/return and once the book was reholdered the buyer would have first shot at the book, or the partial refund for a reholder. Felt fair. Only really works if the book is undamaged though. If it’s damaged USPS is gonna foot that bill.

Edited by Nsschenks

On 1/12/2024 at 12:55 PM, Nsschenks said:

Seconded, I’d contact the seller. I pack my slabs wrapped in thick layers of that good good bubble wrap in a 1095, but I did have a slab get damaged once (the box looked like USPS dropped it from a second story lol) and I was more than happy to compensate the cost of a reholder + plus a little extra for the inconvenience. The offer was full refund/return and once the book was reholdered the buyer would have first shot at the book, or the partial refund for a reholder. Felt fair.

And this right here is customer service.  Providing options that are all a win and letting the buyer decide.

On 1/12/2024 at 9:49 AM, LudaToke said:

I contacted the seller immediately when I opened the box, described the problems and included the above pictures.  The seller's immediate response "send it back and I'll give you a refund"...which is good considering he has a no-returns policy on his listing.

My reply was 'hang on, the book itself seems to be undamaged and I really want the book, but I've got a question in to CGC to see if this thing can even be reholdered, because trying to hit 9.8 again on regrade for a magazine with a predominantly black cover is going to be too risky.  If it can't be reholdered I'll send it back.'  I was just trying to give him an immediate heads-up that there was a problem.

After Mike answered my question I let the seller know I was going to go ahead and keep the book and send it in to be reholdered.  Since he offered a refund for a return I assumed that was his proposed solution and didn't ask for a refund to cover the reholder.  I did however let him know that this was going to be an expensive fix for me as I don't have a paid CGC membership so I'm going have to pay $24 just for the privilege of getting a reholder and then the $20 reholder fee and shipping on top of that. (in my first message I pointed out to him that I knew he had overcharged me on the shipping costs)

The seller responded by refunding me $20, I'm assuming to cover the reholder as there was no comment along with the refund.  

So the good news is the seller was willing to make things right and the book itself seems to be ok.  But man, it's hard not to be ticked that he was willing to risk damaging a tough-in-grade book with only 5 in 9.8 and 4 in 9.6 just so he could squeeze out an extra $8 on padded shipping cost and sub-standard packaging.  And now there's all the additional handling and risk of it traveling to CGC and back.

It's a shame, because he's listing several books I'm interested in, I actually had a bid in on another book before this happened ....another CGC magazine too...and was planning to bid again to try and win it.  But now that I know how he approaches shipping I think I'm just going to have to pass (assuming he hasn't blocked me already).

Edited by Number 6

On 1/12/2024 at 1:14 PM, Number 6 said:

But man, it's hard not to be ticked that he was willing to risk damaging a tough-in-grade book with only 5 in 9.8 and 4 in 9.6 just so he could squeeze out an extra $8 on padded shipping cost and sub-standard packaging.

Yeah, I buy on eBay a lot (usually just raw books though, not slabs), and I'm constantly amazed at how poorly some sellers package their books. But especially for slabs, considering 1095 boxes are literally free and the large bubble wrap you can get for $20 or so for 100 feet, if you use 10 feet of wrap for a slab, that's still only $2 in packaging per slab. Not to mention Priority is usually cheaper than flat-rate since the package weighs less than 2 pounds, especially when using a discounted rate from eBay or Pirateship or wherever. I maybe get trying to cut the fat if you sell a high volume of cheap books, but definitely not for expensive slabs. Truly mind-boggling stuff.

On 1/12/2024 at 9:38 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

They've redesigned the boxes and the 1097 no longer fits inside a 1095.

Really? USPS shows 1097 being 13-7/16" x 11-5/8" x 2-1/2" and 1095 being 15" x 12" x 3-1/8". I just ordered 2x 25 packs of each, so hopefully it's still the same sizes.

On 1/12/2024 at 4:50 PM, FigaroToe said:

Really? USPS shows 1097 being 13-7/16" x 11-5/8" x 2-1/2" and 1095 being 15" x 12" x 3-1/8". I just ordered 2x 25 packs of each, so hopefully it's still the same sizes.

I'll double check when I get home but I remember here on the boards when they changed it and a few people pointed out that it doesn't fit anymore.

On 1/12/2024 at 1:53 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I'll double check when I get home but I remember here on the boards when they changed it and a few people pointed out that it doesn't fit anymore.

I wonder how new the change is. I ordered some 1097 and 1095s a month ago and they fit inside. Hmm

On 1/12/2024 at 7:01 PM, FigaroToe said:

I wonder how new the change is. I ordered some 1097 and 1095s a month ago and they fit inside. Hmm

This was long before that. Early last year sometime. They must fit, then.

Ebay really does shoot itself in the foot sometimes. I just listed just over 250 of my lower end books and by the end it started charging me a 34 cent fee per listing. No big deal since I only had to pay for the last half dozen or so. But, I was thinking of listing about 150 signed books and minor keys as well and now I am thinking "nah, not selling anything there anyway so far this year so paying fees for that is a total waste." 

Why set my selling limit at over 700 books and who knows how many dollars in value if they are not just letting me list my stuff for free? The selling fee on any of those books I would have posted is likely more than they would get from a 34 cent charge per book. 

Anyway, /rant. 

On 1/13/2024 at 7:57 PM, Stefan_W said:

Ebay really does shoot itself in the foot sometimes. I just listed just over 250 of my lower end books and by the end it started charging me a 34 cent fee per listing. No big deal since I only had to pay for the last half dozen or so. But, I was thinking of listing about 150 signed books and minor keys as well and now I am thinking "nah, not selling anything there anyway so far this year so paying fees for that is a total waste." 

Why set my selling limit at over 700 books and who knows how many dollars in value if they are not just letting me list my stuff for free? The selling fee on any of those books I would have posted is likely more than they would get from a 34 cent charge per book. 

Anyway, /rant. 

That 250 should reset itself on the 1st of February. You can just list them then.

On 1/13/2024 at 8:02 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

That 250 should reset itself on the 1st of February. You can just list them then.

Not exactly since books that did not sell would relist. 

On 1/13/2024 at 8:11 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Good point. How long have you been selling on eBay? Did you try asking for a limits increase?

Many years. The increase the other limits but have never touched the 250 unless there is some type of promotion. I remember a couple of times when they gave me an extra 250 in a month, but then I had to watch the auto-relists because I would be charged the month after if I exceeded the original 250. 

On 1/13/2024 at 8:24 PM, Stefan_W said:

Many years. The increase the other limits but have never touched the 250 unless there is some type of promotion. I remember a couple of times when they gave me an extra 250 in a month, but then I had to watch the auto-relists because I would be charged the month after if I exceeded the original 250. 

Are these auctions or fixed-price listings?

On 1/13/2024 at 8:29 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Have you thought about getting an eBay store? For $22/month you can have 1,000 free listings.

I sell about 10-15k in comics there per year before I pull everything. This is simply because I dont want to give that site any more money than that. So nah to the store and the $22/month. 

How I received a Conan 1 this morning off the Bay...just a sleeve, no cushion, no cardboard...

mid grade copy, which I knew bidding on, but it could have been much worse by the time it got to me thanks to the poor packaging. It's amazing in this day and age how many people who sell comics don't know how to ship them.

IMG_1.jpg

Edited by minutekev@50