• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
33 33

4,172 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2023 at 7:44 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I keep reporting this person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed each time he lists my book for sale. I lost count ~15 times now :facepalm:

IMG_9225.jpeg

Lol yeah they're jokes, hijacking other ppl's accounts left and right. The feedback is almost always an overseas ebay seller that sells wine racks or children's socks or something in that direction. Generally non english in the feedback as well. They always have a triple or quadrouple signed ASM 300 up too and many other pricey books with the picture saying you must buy it at the BIN price or something. That loop's been going on for quite awhile. Report for listing practices and offering to sell outside of ebay and ebay usually has them down within 24 hours. Does seem to take them awhile at times though unfortunately. Hopefully no one's falling for that garbage.

Please let me know what you guys would do in this situation.  I recently sold a Thor 225 CGC 9.4 on eBay.  Everything was going smoothly with the transaction until I get that dreaded return request out of nowhere.  Buyer never contacts me directly about it but just opens up the request.  His reasoning was that he didn’t like it.  Fine, whatever, as annoyed as I am by the reasoning, I accepted the return and refunded him the original cost minus the shipping since I don’t believe I am at fault.  So I thought that was the end of it.  Today, I get another message from this buyer asking me to refund the shipping cost.  His reasoning was that I didn’t disclose a small bit of red ink overspray on the top edge of the book that doesn’t show up in the scan.  What would you guys do in this situation?  Do you guys think this is a valid argument given that ink overspray are very common with Marvel books printed during this era?  The overspray is only visible if you look at the top edge and does not affect the cover.  

On 9/20/2023 at 2:04 AM, Escaflown41 said:

Please let me know what you guys would do in this situation.  I recently sold a Thor 225 CGC 9.4 on eBay.  Everything was going smoothly with the transaction until I get that dreaded return request out of nowhere.  Buyer never contacts me directly about it but just opens up the request.  His reasoning was that he didn’t like it.  Fine, whatever, as annoyed as I am by the reasoning, I accepted the return and refunded him the original cost minus the shipping since I don’t believe I am at fault.  So I thought that was the end of it.  Today, I get another message from this buyer asking me to refund the shipping cost.  His reasoning was that I didn’t disclose a small bit of red ink overspray on the top edge of the book that doesn’t show up in the scan.  What would you guys do in this situation?  Do you guys think this is a valid argument given that ink overspray are very common with Marvel books printed during this era?  The overspray is only visible if you look at the top edge and does not affect the cover.  

You ain't required to pay it, so deny it. Don't let him intimidate you into giving him money.

On 9/20/2023 at 1:04 AM, Escaflown41 said:

Either just ignore him or tell him to contact eBay so they can get him the rest of his money back. When you do a partial refund using the refund tool, eBay will give them the difference with no fault to you. I do this quite a bit with clown customers that abuse the returns marking things as false SNAD's. It has gotten very bad on there.

I want to give a shout out to eBayers who are patient when a problem occurs. Especially buyers.

It makes things so much easier to fix.

I'm selling a lot on eBay lately (collectible toys) and I screwed up 4 times in the past few weeks.

I'm honest but they don't know that, so for them to politely report a problem and give me a chance to fix it... instead of jumping on me from the beginning... is such a nice thing.

Hi y'all, ebay question for you.

I listed an item for BIN $750 (no auction feature), and got a bunch of watchers but no bites. I sent one of those mass offers for $690 to all the watchers. One of the recipients quickly counters with an offer of $680. That seems reasonable so I accept, but instead of closing the item nothing happens. The book is still for sale, and under Offers it now says "You have made buyer XYZ the winner! There is still quantity 1 available." 

I assume ebay has done some tinkering with the counteroffer feature and it no longer works the way I remember. So I'm now waiting for the buyer to... accept his own offer?  ???

On 12/15/2023 at 7:08 PM, Point Five said:

I listed an item for BIN $750 (no auction feature), and got a bunch of watchers but no bites. I sent one of those mass offers for $690 to all the watchers. One of the recipients quickly counters with an offer of $680. That seems reasonable so I accept, but instead of closing the item nothing happens. The book is still for sale, and under Offers it now says "You have made buyer XYZ the winner! There is still quantity 1 available." 

I assume ebay has done some tinkering with the counteroffer feature and it no longer works the way I remember. So I'm now waiting for the buyer to... accept his own offer?  ???

It sounds like you may have accidentally listed 2 quantity?

On 12/15/2023 at 10:44 PM, littledoom said:

It sounds like you may have accidentally listed 2 quantity?

That's good thinking, but no. The auction doesn't say anything like '1 sold/1 available' which ebay normally does for multiple items. And I never got a 'your item sold' email per ebay's protocol.

When I click on Manage Offers, $680 now shows up as an offer *I've* sent (i.e. still pending for the potential buyer), even though the Summary box right next to it says that I accepted the buyer's counteroffer. 

I guess I'll just wait and hope they follow through. Not a huge deal, just seemed odd, and I wondered if it was a global change to the counteroffer process that I was unaware of.

On 12/16/2023 at 8:38 AM, Point Five said:

@rjpb, I know you're a hardcore ebay seller. Does the above sound familiar at all?  :wishluck: 

I had something similar happen a few weeks ago. Someone purchased something from me, and then sent me a message saying it was still showing up on ebay as available and was confused. It showed as sold on my seller's page, but when I typed it into the search it was still listed on ebay. I told the buyer it was likely a delay on ebay's end and not to worry, the book was theirs, and sure enough it disappeared from listings within the hour. So probably just a software glitch somewhere. Still a bit of contrast to when I buy something directly from MCS on their site, and the same item gets delisted on ebay immediately, which has to be automated given their volume of sales. 

My current vent about ebay is they won't let you discount more than the shipping costs from a multibook order. I currently offer discounts on my cheaper items if several are ordered, but unless they are all part of the same listing volume discounts can't be applied, and I have to tell would be buyers that I can either relist everything they want as a group item with discount, or refund them the discount after purchase, which is a bit of PITA either way, but I'm happy to do it, particularly as a lot of the buyers end up being repeat customers.

On 12/15/2023 at 10:08 PM, Point Five said:

Did he actually pay yet? He sounds like a bit of a yahoo. $60 reduction isn't good enough but $70 is?

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 12/16/2023 at 12:00 PM, rjpb said:

I had something similar happen a few weeks ago. Someone purchased something from me, and then sent me a message saying it was still showing up on ebay as available and was confused. It showed as sold on my seller's page, but when I typed it into the search it was still listed on ebay. I told the buyer it was likely a delay on ebay's end and not to worry, the book was theirs, and sure enough it disappeared from listings within the hour. So probably just a software glitch somewhere. Still a bit of contrast to when I buy something directly from MCS on their site, and the same item gets delisted on ebay immediately, which has to be automated given their volume of sales. 

My current vent about ebay is they won't let you discount more than the shipping costs from a multibook order. I currently offer discounts on my cheaper items if several are ordered, but unless they are all part of the same listing volume discounts can't be applied, and I have to tell would be buyers that I can either relist everything they want as a group item with discount, or refund them the discount after purchase, which is a bit of PITA either way, but I'm happy to do it, particularly as a lot of the buyers end up being repeat customers.

Thanks for that. I'm still befuddled though. 15 hours later, there's still no change. The book is still available, and no email updates or signs of movement. I'm assuming/hoping the buyer received a "$680 offer, click to pay" email from ebay and is just sitting on it, but no way to know. 

On my Manage Offers page it says "What's next? Contact the buyer" and a link is provided, but when I click through it seems to glitch out.