• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,182 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2023 at 7:24 PM, media_junkie said:

Yikes, $70 million opening for Flash would not be all that great.  If it opens that low it better have some strong legs.

I'm sure Indiana Jones will give it a run for it's money. 🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20230415_081132_IMDb.thumb.jpg.d3ee8082a4327229f7c658dc4ff38420.jpg

On 5/25/2023 at 8:24 PM, media_junkie said:

Yikes, $70 million opening for Flash would not be all that great.  If it opens that low it better have some strong legs.

It would be nice to see if the profits match the hype, but this seems like the movie where box office matters the absolutely least for any movie maybe ever.

On 5/25/2023 at 8:01 AM, jsilverjanet said:

rewatched Man of Steel yesterday and began BvS (it was late)

what a shame WB/DC gave it all up

fantastic movies

I get bored from time to time and throw these on, and they get better with each watch. It is a shame they just kept moving things around - they might have had something had they stuck to them. They've got their problems, but they are entertaining enough for me to re-watch them every 6 months or so.

On 5/26/2023 at 2:54 PM, jsilverjanet said:

you know what i like about them the most (and i agree they get better each time) - started ZSJL - is that they are adult comic movies, they aren't catered to a 4 year old. They have a serious tone and don't treat me like i'm a insufficiently_thoughtful_person (see recent Disney MCU films)

Huh. I never looked at them that way, and you’re right - they don’t really plug in the “family” schtick in the DC stuff.

On 5/27/2023 at 2:06 AM, Ken Aldred said:

When the boardies here are discussing Batman vs Superman Dawn of Justice, I assume we all mean the Ultimate Edition?  Which is great, IMO.

There is only Man of Steel and ZS Justice League.  That’s it!  

On 5/27/2023 at 12:45 PM, ▫️ said:

There is only Man of Steel and ZS Justice League.  That’s it!  

Both great films too. 

On 5/27/2023 at 9:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

Ok, I'm going to call him out on this.  Granted WOM may be high for this Flash movie, but to say there wasn't "high interest" for Top Gun: Mavrick is stretching things a bit far.  I "love" when people have to "cover" for the studios (Marvel/DC, whomever).

And for him to say "The Little Mermaid" has momentum, sure in the US, but from what I am seeing it is bombing hard Internationally.

Edited by media_junkie

On 5/28/2023 at 12:02 AM, media_junkie said:

Ok, I'm going to call him out on this.  Granted WOM may be high for this Flash movie, but to say there wasn't "high interest" for Top Gun: Mavrick is stretching things a bit far.  I "love" when people have to "cover" for the studios (Marvel/DC, whomever).

And for him to say "The Little Mermaid" has momentum, sure in the US, but from what I am seeing it is bombing hard Internationally.

Once the teaser trailer came out, that's when the buzz started. Even on here, once I started the thread with the teaser you had forumites chatting positive about this movie. You had a sequel 36 years after-the-fact, and the steady messaging was why we even needed this movie. Even once the movie was a success, articles were being posted noting how beforehand there was a level of negativity toward the film that now was not justified. And then with the movie postponement there was talk of how bad it must be the studio was performing 'extensive reshoots' until the release.

BBC: How Top Gun: Maverick shocked the world

No-one expected much from the Top Gun sequel – and so its soaring global success came as a complete surprise. It was an emotional experience and a true one-off, says Nicholas Barber.

Nobody predicted it. Top Gun itself may also have come top of the global box office in 1986, but when Rolling Stone magazine compiled its 100 greatest films of the 1980s this March, and Time Out compiled its 50 greatest this May, it didn't appear in either round-up. Many critics now see it as a relic: a shiny time capsule celebrating Reagan-era US military might, showcasing a rising star who was in his early twenties, and demonstrating the ad-industry stylings of its director, Tony Scott, who died in 2012. Why revive the franchise in the 21st Century, in a changed geo-political world, with a new director, and a star in his late fifties? Scott’s successor, Joseph Kosinski, also made 2010's Tron: Legacy, another belated sequel to a 1980s hit. It did well enough, as did some other films in that category, from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) to Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021). But none of these was the film of the year.

To make matters even less promising, Top Gun: Maverick was postponed and postponed again. Shooting took place between 2018 and 2019, and a July 2019 release was scheduled. But additional shooting and the Covid-19 pandemic kept pushing that date back until the new Top Gun was in danger of seeming almost as dated as the 1986 one. Cruise's co-star Miles Teller, for instance, was no longer the hot property in 2022 that he had been when he auditioned years earlier.

So to state there was excitement for the film before its release misses those key points.

On 5/28/2023 at 8:39 AM, Bosco685 said:

Once the teaser trailer came out, that's when the buzz started. Even on here, once I started the thread with the teaser you had forumites chatting positive about this movie. You had a sequel 36 years after-the-fact, and the steady messaging was why we even needed this movie. Even once the movie was a success, articles were being posted noting how beforehand there was a level of negativity toward the film that now was not justified. And then with the movie postponement there was talk of how bad it must be the studio was performing 'extensive reshoots' until the release.

BBC: How Top Gun: Maverick shocked the world

So to state there was excitement for the film before its release misses those key points.

I don't remember negative buzz about this movie with regard to the delays and reshoots.

Because the narrative was always that Tom Cruise himself wanted to delay the film a full year+ to ensure they got the aerial shots right.

As you point out, the buzz for this film on this forum was mostly positive as soon as the teaser was released in December 2019. The more mainstream general audience buzz began with the Super Bowl spot in Feb. 2020.

And this film, not the last Bond film, was cast as the true bellwether for film blockbusters - whether audiences were really ready to return-to-theaters post-pandemic. 

While that question was solved months early by the theatrical successes of both No Time to Die and Spider-Man: No Way Home, Top Gun: Maverick was still seen as that litmus test even months before its eventual release.

Did that mean everyone thought it would do $1 bn.+ theatrical? No.

But any critic who now tries to characterize its success as a surprise, unanticipated or shocking - either wasn't paying attention or (more likely) is just willfully engaging in revisionist history now for clicks.

The Flash is different from Top Gun.  Maverick felt like a surprise bonus, a movie most thought we would never get, in a genre that is neglected, and if we did it would be bad.  So it was an all around pleasant surprise.  Flash is still battling being seen as part if a dead universe, in a genre that is oversaturated. This in comparing apples to oranges.