• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

In an interview with Collider, Reeves talks about what surprised and delighted him in the responses from the first screenings of his reboot. He was still in the editing process when the screenings took place, meaning that he hadn't yet trimmed down the movie as much as planned. The over-complexity of the plot was still in debate and Reeves wasn't sure if audiences would be receptive without a cleaner, more clarifying cut of the film. The results weren't what he expected. Even more than the flashier aspects of the screening like car chases, Reeves' complex detective story excited viewers.

“The first version of this movie that I screened; the movie has a very ambitious, complex narrative. So, by the time we got to a place where we had to start testing, I was not all the way through the cut of the movie. There was so much of the movie yet to be touched and it was really long. I mean, not to say that the movie doesn't have length now, but it was longer than what I intended. I was terrified because I thought, oh my gosh, we're showing this, before I'm ready, to an audience and in terms of a Batman movie, it's a very complex detective story narrative. Are they going to be able to follow anything? What I found actually, which was amazing, was how much they loved that aspect. That was the biggest relief. I was thinking, okay, why did I do this? Why did I decide to make this kind of story? And what the first test screening told me was the audience wanted this, that we had the Batmobile chases, we had all the things. You can't make a Batman movie without giving the baseline things that people want from a Batman movie. But I knew we were challenging the audience in this side of world's greatest detective side, because it was going to be a very complex narrative and it turned out they love that part of it. It was one of the things that tested best. So that part was a great thing to learn, which was that, actually, the audience would be excited about this version of the movie and that only continued to get better as we continued to test.”

On 2/27/2022 at 5:14 PM, Bosco685 said:

And to answer a question asked many months ago about the Bat symbol on his chest...it is not Joe Chill's gun sawed in half to create a symbol. It is a tactical knife so meaning there is purpose with much of his costume to support his fight on war.

Very cool!

On 2/28/2022 at 10:22 AM, eastriver31400 said:

Not sure i get it. But it definitely got me to chuckle.

"Critics" are out of touch. See: BvS, The Last Jedi, Ghostbusters, Captain Marvel, etc.

A high RT score typically means that I will not be having much fun, and vice-versa.

On 2/28/2022 at 9:28 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

"Critics" are out of touch. See: BvS, The Last Jedi, Ghostbusters, Captain Marvel, etc.

A high RT score typically means that I will not be having much fun, and vice-versa.

That's usually how it works for me too.