• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,409 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mac Man said:

I know it's a little rough, but I got myself a G1 Optimus Prime to go with my Rodimus Prime.

F0199FBD-ABDF-4C86-94D0-EAF19F44DE7D.jpeg

I think I had this one plus Starscream, Megatron, and Soundwave.  These were so expensive to purchase back in the day.

Edited by piper

Apparently there are two versions of Snake Eyes in the new Classified line.

1333561616_Snake-Eyes-Classified-normalvsexclusive.jpg.bc63fabce97e54898d2911f62b147466.jpg

I thought the normal, non Hasbro Pulse release would just be the figure without the premium packaging and weapons display. But the normal release has a different paint job and futuristic weapons. I thought the other characters reminded me of those Battle Force 2000 G.I. Joes. But I guess that's what this Classified line really is. And I thought Hasbro put a lot of thought into Snake Eyes for a reason. But I guess they just wanted to make a lot of hype for the first figure with a premium price.

I think the guy from Retroblasting is probably right. It's a shame too. I would really purchase a good majority of line of larger scale vintage Joes that just have more detail on the figures. Or of course a full line of the Resolute Joes. It will always be beyond me why that didn't happen. The female Dial Tone didn't even bother me, even though I thought the original was a cool figure with the back pack but I would get her Resolute figure too.

I guess we'll see how long this Classified line lasts. I don't think it will go beyond those figures in the original artwork display.

10 hours ago, srezvan said:

Can anyone recommend simple peg stands for Marvel Legends figures from 2018-2019? I recently opened a few to display on a shelf, and they keep falling over. These are some of my only new figures, and none of my Star Wars and G.I. Joe stands work. I see some generic ones from China on eBay, but I'm not sure if they work well. Thanks.

Unfortunately there is no single solution that will work because Hasbro hasn't been putting any effort into making sure that the peg holes are all of a standard diameter or depth.  I use custom ones from a collector at www.canofbeams.com that have three pegs on them designed to fit most of the sizes out there (you can see the two pegs not in the feet of X-23 in the pic below), but the guy who makes them hasn't done any in about a year, he said the demand was too great and he preferred to work on more creative effects pieces but is hoping to find a company who will help him produce them en masse.  If he starts selling them again I'll let you know...I love them, they're pictured below.  I bought 100 last year, and that has easily lasted me.

Canofbeams is the best creator of third-party effects pieces out there besides the ones Bandai has done.  LOVE the metal claws he makes for Legends Wolverine figures.  He has a company who makes those for him, but that's metal work, not plastic.  He hasn't found a plastic manufacturer to make effects in large quantities yet.  He's just a collector like us and makes all of his plastic effects himself, and he developed some kind of repetitive stress disorder in his arm last year from doing too many, so he's dramatically slowed down what he does this year.

0U_pnA8yQ_DV1LHI1rY1PPmI731aOp1kqNtyb1QC

Edited by fantastic_four

10 hours ago, piper said:

I think I had this one plus Starscream, Megatron, and Soundwave.  These were so expensive to purchase back in the day.

Yeah, I had Gobots bc we couldn't afford Transformers. But man, I LOVED Optimus. I still remember when he first died in the movie... 😭😭😭😭😭😭

13 hours ago, Mac Man said:

I know it's a little rough, but I got myself a G1 Optimus Prime to go with my Rodimus Prime.

F0199FBD-ABDF-4C86-94D0-EAF19F44DE7D.jpeg

Congrats! No such thing as a bad Prime to own, even rough they're always cool! I actually prefer the early die-cast G1 Transformers with a little wear to the paint, for that "patina" effect.

1 hour ago, Mac Man said:

Yeah, I had Gobots bc we couldn't afford Transformers. But man, I LOVED Optimus. I still remember when he first died in the movie... 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Let's just say all my paper route money went towards buying them.  I should have bought more comic books!

5 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Apparently there are two versions of Snake Eyes in the new Classified line.

1333561616_Snake-Eyes-Classified-normalvsexclusive.jpg.bc63fabce97e54898d2911f62b147466.jpg

I thought the normal, non Hasbro Pulse release would just be the figure without the premium packaging and weapons display. But the normal release has a different paint job and futuristic weapons. I thought the other characters reminded me of those Battle Force 2000 G.I. Joes. But I guess that's what this Classified line really is. And I thought Hasbro put a lot of thought into Snake Eyes for a reason. But I guess they just wanted to make a lot of hype for the first figure with a premium price.

I think the guy from Retroblasting is probably right. It's a shame too. I would really purchase a good majority of line of larger scale vintage Joes that just have more detail on the figures. Or of course a full line of the Resolute Joes. It will always be beyond me why that didn't happen. The female Dial Tone didn't even bother me, even though I thought the original was a cool figure with the back pack but I would get her Resolute figure too.

I guess we'll see how long this Classified line lasts. I don't think it will go beyond those figures in the original artwork display.

I don’t know. I have a lot of faith in the new line coming out. With no other super hero movies coming out. I think Joes have a shot at catching on. I don’t really mind the bit of a twist on the characters. Not really a fan of the futuristic weapons for roadblock or the black snake eyes, but the rest are fine. I’m currently clearing out an area for them. I can’t wait to see the next wave.

37 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:
6 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I don’t know. I have a lot of faith in the new line coming out. With no other super hero movies coming out. I think Joes have a shot at catching on. I don’t really mind the bit of a twist on the characters. Not really a fan of the futuristic weapons for roadblock or the black snake eyes, but the rest are fine. I’m currently clearing out an area for them. I can’t wait to see the next wave.

It's going to last for a while just on nostalgic buys from older collectors.  Snake Eyes and Destro sold out VERY fast, so they're clearly out there in droves.

Not sure how many Millennials will get into them with the military not seeming as cool during times of relative peace like we've had for decades now.  That made me lose interest in them over time although I definitely bought everything that was out in the early 1980s.  I doubt I'll buy anything beyond the deluxe Snake Eyes, and I mostly bought him for the weapons rack.  But the figure is so outstanding I'm using him as a SHIELD agent guest star in my Marvel displays.

Edited by fantastic_four

8 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Unfortunately there is no single solution that will work because Hasbro hasn't been putting any effort into making sure that the peg holes are all of a standard diameter or depth.  I use custom ones from a collector at www.canofbeams.com that have three pegs on them designed to fit most of the sizes out there (you can see the two pegs not in the feet of X-23 in the pic below), but the guy who makes them hasn't done any in about a year, he said the demand was too great and he preferred to work on more creative effects pieces but is hoping to find a company who will help him produce them en masse.  If he starts selling them again I'll let you know...I love them, they're pictured below.  I bought 100 last year, and that has easily lasted me.

Canofbeams is the best creator of third-party effects pieces out there besides the ones Bandai has done.  LOVE the metal claws he makes for Legends Wolverine figures.  He has a company who makes those for him, but that's metal work, not plastic.  He hasn't found a plastic manufacturer to make effects in large quantities yet.  He's just a collector like us and makes all of his plastic effects himself, and he developed some kind of repetitive stress disorder in his arm last year from doing too many, so he's dramatically slowed down what he does this year.

I never realized that before.  I remember reading at one point that peg holes were a 'thing' now across almost all brands out of a sense of tradition.  I remember reading that, I just don't remember where I read that.  Perhaps that is true then with marvel legends? 

Is there any sense or reason to it though?  For example, do certain time periods have the same size peg hole in comparison to others?

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Is there any sense or reason to it though?  For example, do certain time periods have the same size peg hole in comparison to others?

Hard to tell.  In many cases the feet are re-used from figures that were originally molded years ago, so if you could identify the original mold date of any given pair of feet you may be able to determine a pattern.  But that's not something I've ever tried to do or seen anyone else do.  I can often tell when torsos, arms, or legs are re-used, but feet are too generic and I usually can't tell when they're new or when they're re-used.

At conventions Hasbro doesn't even use peg holes, they glue the feet of figures to little plastic slides.  So even their own approach is to not try using those peg holes.  :insane:  But I use them a lot, particularly on female figures which have the thinnest legs that are the hardest to stand.

Edited by fantastic_four

30 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Hard to tell.  In many cases the feet are re-used from figures that were originally molded years ago, so if you could identify the original mold date of any given pair of feet you may be able to determine a pattern.  But that's not something I've ever tried to do or seen anyone else do.  I can often tell when torsos, arms, or legs are re-used, but feet are too generic and I usually can't tell when they're new or when they're re-used.

At conventions Hasbro doesn't even use peg holes, they glue the feet of figures to little plastic slides.  So even their own approach is to not try using those peg holes.  :insane:  But I use them a lot, particularly on female figures which have the thinnest legs that are the hardest to stand.

Again, I never would have thought that with this particular line.  With GI Joe, Hasbro has had many opportunities to reuse parts across the line because there is really not a 'bible' as to how each character needs to exactly look.   So starting with the original line in 82, most of the figures were made from the same body but given a different head.   As they introduced new figures from 1982 to 2018, a military boot was... a military boot.  Who is to say that Snake Eyes was not issued the same military boot in black that Rock n Roll was issues in tan. 

With the Marvel legends I would never have thought so many parts are reused since the costumes have to strictly follow the preconceived character design.  With GI Joe and even to a point, Transformers, the design seems to be changed to what parts are available for use. 

Now I am looking at your X-Men group shot to see what's shared. lol 

Edited by Buzzetta

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

With the Marvel legends I would never have thought so many parts are reused since the costumes have to strictly follow the preconceived character design.  With GI Joe and even to a point, Transformers, the design seems to be changed to what parts are available for use. 

Now I am looking at your X-Men group shot to see what's shared. lol 

A few examples (click pics for full 4K size).  In the first shot below look at Enchantress and Scarlet Witch.  Virtually the entire figure is re-used--the heeled feet, the legs, the upper and lower torso, and the arms, but they have vastly different paint jobs.  Scarlet Witch has her own cape and head sculpt, and Enchantress has her own separate skirt piece that goes over the lower torso.

Look at the seven female figures in the second pic--they all use almost all of the same body parts.  Same upper/lower torso (Black Cat has a custom upper torso), same legs (Black Cat has custom lower legs and boot feet), same arms on most (Rogue has custom arms for the jacket sleeves), but custom paint, custom heads, some custom hands, and custom extra pieces on most.  You can really tell with the feet due to the boot wrinkles in the sculpt.

T5xbmV8kVTbPEv1ykhOCufqbbYSRokqm6HOjJeTsuwQp9JCtB2Nesh0XS7hFzBvrWBc2XWAikcQJp1BR-S_PVjyGIddcvFw94vafNd9OQ9U1J_RW4Uk3jNtFgA7ArOCZhU_o2awRgfS4GLZbJiWmN8iCLv0eLnNscCyUpOO7qhovmoExe9J6F5EjU8ktQmB2CdyIbdOOEIvHEE2Yn7GpgBYnNnvR6FtoQLmCZ61pXztDPZj1NRAi3gxRNwJw3Tf4c5FC5zpuznD_tH1Upg4kUpcRjxYDl_pIZcFh6pNBkfI7RyH7Y-LoWIsFn2GCA2clp6NbvHUMvcZFRvtCKJzlWsw-7KkxtUBMXthkGD1nniHiP99LeUVf6aZLgwEbB2gQmf-4hWxFTqoEldX_lTibazLigjLEFWHfiq62-Ms3ORI8AGrMZwLOWBVVA_z51cnp0rrp36SBckhEUrGGPMDQiAPGeOcLx6t4ppntY-vOi80rJEduWpWOdeWeAbw5RJ8Eru3_zHi_4kas1JZPr3WR0Uk1QjyyCV0pTNNSV8khpkWbwa0wHGsh4uTIB9xIvIj7b07uw5AeamTDipt-T3HXYp9O3O8elstfPiasLYKtk1N-fI-pRNYZxy9J7x0irIGusdGUed3u4hL9XU32vccOVDzIhmsMVvDZKn6U-27vMEm6P8vseFmWFW80MT4QT0EZAdSq3ODLU-DDWSxpTFwINY-Ag16XjXzZqRv1-dUztfCKbL5EcrxYNNE=w4032-h3024-no sJASOcpSp0J9muk-3pdZHBYVFh1AoiP2fyqpvWzE

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

A few examples (click pics for full 4K size).  In the first shot below look at Enchantress and Scarlet Witch.  Virtually the entire figure is re-used--the heeled feet, the legs, the upper and lower torso, and the arms, but they have vastly different paint jobs.  Scarlet Witch has her own cape and head sculpt, and Enchantress has her own separate skirt piece that goes over the lower torso.

Look at the seven female figures in the second pic--they all use almost all of the same body parts.  Same upper/lower torso (Black Cat has a custom upper torso), same legs (Black Cat has custom lower legs and boot feet), same arms on most (Rogue has custom arms for the jacket sleeves), but custom paint, custom heads, some custom hands, and custom extra pieces on most.  You can really tell with the feet due to the boot wrinkles in the sculpt.

T5xbmV8kVTbPEv1ykhOCufqbbYSRokqm6HOjJeTsuwQp9JCtB2Nesh0XS7hFzBvrWBc2XWAikcQJp1BR-S_PVjyGIddcvFw94vafNd9OQ9U1J_RW4Uk3jNtFgA7ArOCZhU_o2awRgfS4GLZbJiWmN8iCLv0eLnNscCyUpOO7qhovmoExe9J6F5EjU8ktQmB2CdyIbdOOEIvHEE2Yn7GpgBYnNnvR6FtoQLmCZ61pXztDPZj1NRAi3gxRNwJw3Tf4c5FC5zpuznD_tH1Upg4kUpcRjxYDl_pIZcFh6pNBkfI7RyH7Y-LoWIsFn2GCA2clp6NbvHUMvcZFRvtCKJzlWsw-7KkxtUBMXthkGD1nniHiP99LeUVf6aZLgwEbB2gQmf-4hWxFTqoEldX_lTibazLigjLEFWHfiq62-Ms3ORI8AGrMZwLOWBVVA_z51cnp0rrp36SBckhEUrGGPMDQiAPGeOcLx6t4ppntY-vOi80rJEduWpWOdeWeAbw5RJ8Eru3_zHi_4kas1JZPr3WR0Uk1QjyyCV0pTNNSV8khpkWbwa0wHGsh4uTIB9xIvIj7b07uw5AeamTDipt-T3HXYp9O3O8elstfPiasLYKtk1N-fI-pRNYZxy9J7x0irIGusdGUed3u4hL9XU32vccOVDzIhmsMVvDZKn6U-27vMEm6P8vseFmWFW80MT4QT0EZAdSq3ODLU-DDWSxpTFwINY-Ag16XjXzZqRv1-dUztfCKbL5EcrxYNNE=w4032-h3024-no sJASOcpSp0J9muk-3pdZHBYVFh1AoiP2fyqpvWzE

I see that now.  The first female boots that I was going by was Psylocke and Jean Grey and the wrinkles were notably different.  Once I looked further I see what you mean and Jubilee uses the same foot as Jean Grey but not the same part of the lower leg. (it seems).

In the past Hasbro has said that a specific part may not be available because the molds were currently being used for something else.  They have said that with Star Wars and GI Joe.  Where do you think they could have made an improvement on a figure where they utilized one part from a preexisting mold over another?   So for example, when the GI Joe club was still in existence people would pressure the club to revise a design before it went into production to seek out the parts or builds of a different figure. 

An example was Salvo.  The original utilized one body until the club members kept pressuring them to revise the design and they wound up using the Dwayne Johnson Roadblock parts.   So basically what could have easily been improved? 

(Skinny salvo was what was planned - Dwayne the Rock Johnson is what they wanted and eventually received)

12fc52_9505dd2a3b8a4d29898224fed8908b4f_mv2.jpg

FSS5salvohasWEB.jpg

14 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

0U_pnA8yQ_DV1LHI1rY1PPmI731aOp1kqNtyb1QC

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll need to find another solution since there's not much on his site right now. I've always liked the clear displays that you use. I'll get there one day

10 hours ago, srezvan said:

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll need to find another solution since there's not much on his site right now. I've always liked the clear displays that you use. I'll get there one day

In the meantime just keep searching eBay for display stands.  Unfortunately you'll need multiple types to support the different peg hole sizes, but that's what many people were doing before Can of Beams did those hex bases.  Legends figures used to come with display bases in the early 2010s, you can often buy lots of those and if Can of Beams hadn't done his bases I would have bought those.  I never did, though, so I don't know how many current peg holes are supported by them.  I've seen multiple custom peg bases over the last year on eBay as well, but I never pulled the trigger on any because Can of Beams did his right before I was going to.

Here's an example of the older Legends peg bases.  In the second pic you can see the 2012 Legends Doctor Doom that comes with one of them as all Legends figures around that time did.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Lot-Stands-Base-For-Marvel-Legends-Spiderman-Hulk-X-man-Figure-Baby-Boy-Toy/333232017411?hash=item4d962d1003:g:X5kAAOSwKDBdNUis

s-l400.jpg 91-kWfb6i-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four