• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,517 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2023 at 8:14 AM, F For Fake said:

Yes! I was working at a comic shop at the time, and we had a deal with the local alternative weekly, where they'd advertise the store, and we'd serve as their spot for ticket giveaways and such. So we used to always get sneak preview passes to new movies, and opening day tickets for free, which included the Star Wars Special Editions. So, I actually got mine at the theater. He's long gone, but that really was a fun time.

I had one of those but sold it years ago.  I wish I had saved it.  

On 5/16/2023 at 6:43 PM, factory sealed said:

theatrical "rare" green jedi Luke card

The bubbles are all falling off the cards on these.  Something wrong with the production.  May have been the cardstock they used...  Usually you'd want a special treated cardstock for the bubble to seal to.  They're not applied with super-glue.  B|

I'd probably buy one if I found it without paper-loss where the bubble had been attached to the cardback.  I saw a graded one where the grading company had to build a special stabilizing shell around the bubble to keep it in place.

On 5/17/2023 at 1:24 PM, Yorick said:

The bubbles are all falling off the cards on these.  Something wrong with the production.  May have been the cardstock they used...  Usually you'd want a special treated cardstock for the bubble to seal to.  They're not applied with super-glue.  B|

I'd probably buy one if I found it without paper-loss where the bubble had been attached to the cardback.  I saw a graded one where the grading company had to build a special stabilizing shell around the bubble to keep it in place.

There have been plenty of things I’ve sold to cash in on that I knew would just fall apart in my hands if I kept.   Don’t feel bad but I don’t think they’re worth it.  Even if the graded archival case has the stabilizing pins the glue will still dry up and it will be loose. 

Lego Leaks 

Not officially announced but since the catalogs are going to print they were intercepted and published online. 

Rebel Temple finally making it to production but the price tag is quite... high

America Shield is kind of annoying 

LEGO-2023-Sommer-Katalog-Leak-12.webp

LEGO-2023-Sommer-Katalog-Leak-10.webp

LEGO-2023-Sommer-Katalog-Leak-13.webp

LEGO-2023-Sommer-Katalog-Leak-07.webp

LEGO-2023-Sommer-Katalog-Leak-08.webp

Interesting sale on Amazon if anyone is looking for a small desktop Millennium Falcon

These remind me of the Galoob scale vehicles that were released in the early 2000's but produced by Jazzwares.

The Falcon is normally $50 but it is on sale for $23.99 - at least that is how it comes up for me as a Prime member. 

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Micro-Galaxy-Squadron/dp/B09PMPQDFZ

image.thumb.png.8611a1998e7c3374664460ec2ff4d215.png

image.thumb.png.63784921f69ae6da7a704619c1685120.png

Edited by Buzzetta

On 5/21/2023 at 12:46 PM, Buzzetta said:

Long Island Bellmore Train Station Flea Market Find (I was actually there looking for a vintage radio shell)

A-Wing Mint and I mean MINT in a box... box tape was cut but everything including inserts were present and the figure has not been removed from the zip tie.  I sold off almost all my vehicles but the price was at retail from 1997.  Why not?  Canopy is clear and scratch free and the paint pops. 

Marvel Secret Wars Spider-man.  Paint was popping and no blemishes on the webbing.  $20.  I was okay without the disk for a figure this nice. 

IMG_5048.JPG

$20 for a Spidey who hasn't had his web-lines all rubbed off is a steal!

On 5/24/2023 at 10:57 PM, 1950's war comics said:

part of my Slurpee cup collection that i have hung on to since 1975, i used to go to 7-11 and buy these along with comics off the rack... i was already past my baseball card buying years at that point though

DSCN3530 - Edited.jpg

Those are great. I've flirted with the idea of putting together a collection, several times over the years, but just haven't done it. I'm also partial to the DC Pepsi "Moon" glasses.

Walking away from a sale

ok, so I had a Galactus action figure in my watchlist and the seller sends me an offer to which I asked a couple of questions, most importantly was whether the battery compartment had any corrosion as well as the condition of the joints. They responded in a timely manner, as the offer is only available for 48 hours but they left out what I asked about the corrosion by stating, “I’m not sure about the status of the batteries” :facepalm:

I’m not worried about 20+ year old batteries, dude. The moral of the story:

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL 

image.gif.7da54871762e914ac0b9c3f8f951017e.gif

Flea Market

Me - How much ? 

Him - $30

Me - Ehhh

Him - But if it had the double telescoping lightsaber how mich would it be?   Thousands right? 

Me - I guess

Him - But if it was on a card how much would it be?  $25,000 right? 

Me - Depends on the condition... 

Him - Yeah (In a tone to justify the $30 gummy Vader with lightsaber that looked like a repro or retro cape was added)

Me - But it's not.   Bye. 

Empty handed this week.

The figure was a Darth Vader 1977 Hong Kong figure with lighsaber and tip and cape.  The figure was excessively gummy but the cape did not exhibit any transfer and was too pristine in relation to the figure.  I couldn't tell in the sun on the lightsaber but had my doubts. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 5/28/2023 at 10:11 PM, Buzzetta said:

Flea Market

Me - How much ? 

Him - $30

Me - Ehhh

Him - But if it had the double telescoping lightsaber how mich would it be?   Thousands right? 

Me - I guess

Him - But if it was on a card how much would it be?  $25,000 right? 

Me - Depends on the condition... 

Him - Yeah (In a tone to justify the $30 gummy Vader with lightsaber that looked like a repro or retro cape was added)

Me - But it's not.   Bye. 

Empty handed this week.

The figure was a Darth Vader 1977 Hong Kong figure with lighsaber and tip and cape.  The figure was excessively gummy but the cape did not exhibit any transfer and was too pristine in relation to the figure.  I couldn't tell in the sun on the lightsaber but had my doubts. 

But, but, but. Any more buts and he could have a strip club. 

This is the only place I can think of to ask such a question. I’m asking here because I see some of you here who work on cleaning and or restoring plastic toys, which could sometimes include adding new stickers when needed.

Here goes. Can anyone recommend a type/brand of adhesive that would be best to reattach the old school label that used to be on top of CGG holders? 

EC1204F4-B91A-433C-BADF-EE5A767688A6.thumb.jpeg.a20de9000d43ae76dfe20bda5d0280ac.jpeg

I know not to use Elmers or Gorilla glue…

I also don’t want to send this in for a new holder.

Sorry, I don’t have any new plastic crack this week. I’m off topic and crazy!

On 6/1/2023 at 10:30 AM, Cat said:

Today I received the toon version of Newage's Legends Mirage. This also showed me I've got a problem with the drop-down legs of my toy deco version, which I had no way of knowing about until today, which is really annoying, as I love this figure. Anyway, here's the two side-by-side. Animation on the left, toy on the right. Right may look black, but it is actually a really dark blue. 

20230601_115222.thumb.jpg.b3e983edc92e948ccedff186367c5af4.jpg

I dig the dark blue, it's not far off from the original G! toy. Mirage was my first TF ever, so I will always have a place in my heart for the guy. Plus he has that cool Sphinx head. What's not to love?