• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,485 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 2:31 PM, MultiSig Mike said:

Box is in rough shape. There are 2 versions I see: smiling and yours. I like yours if you would be willing to part with him.

pm me an offer I can't refuse and he could be headed your way tomorrow.

On 8/10/2022 at 2:24 PM, shadroch said:

Found this at a barn sale. Original box, insides look untouched but box has cosmetic damage. This is from the 2003 movie, all the ones I’ve found are from newer movies. How would you describe the box?

image.thumb.jpg.9993711f6ac423d991530771a4a5be3f.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.9993711f6ac423d991530771a4a5be3f.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.c435ad027fd8d1420556f691e1326736.jpg

the box is good, except the top lid and the plastic .

Any thought on condition and value would be appreciated 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Because of the box condition, many would sell it at mint loose price or slightly above.  

Patrick

On 8/10/2022 at 2:36 PM, MultiSig Mike said:

Why do my TDK figures have grey/gray sections? Kept in a cool, dry place and only 14 years old.

s-l1600.jpg

Those pieces may have been cast at a different factory.  Whatever the situation, they didn't use the same batch of plastic and the colors shifted/aged differently.  Color matching on plastic is a B:censored:.

Edited by Yorick
precision

@fantastic_four

Just in case you were not aware of this company.  Someone posted this site in one of the GI Joe groups.  Thought you would be interested as the place sells some gear that would work well with some of the Marvel Legends figures. 

http://www.gridironprops.com/store/c1/Gridiron_Studios_Pops_Action_Figure_accessories_weapons

On 8/11/2022 at 7:36 AM, MultiSig Mike said:

Why do my TDK figures have grey/gray sections? Kept in a cool, dry place and only 14 years old.

s-l1600.jpg

That discolouration happened shortly after release on some of them. Some people reported it being a powdery substance they could wipe off, while for others it was a permanent change in the plastic. It happens because of poorly mixed plasticisers in the plastic, and Mattel around this time was notorious for it. 

On 8/13/2022 at 5:45 AM, Cat said:

That discolouration happened shortly after release on some of them. Some people reported it being a powdery substance they could wipe off, while for others it was a permanent change in the plastic. It happens because of poorly mixed plasticisers in the plastic, and Mattel around this time was notorious for it. 

Also notoriously happened on the Hot Toys movie Batman (TDK I think, but could have been BB). IT would randomly accrue a white powder. Sideshow (their US distributor and own company and maker of much of the same stuff) I believe it was, just said yeah, it's just a chalky stuff, feels like plasticiser, it should hopefully stop at a certain point.

Mosy didn't. And the vests are all disintegrated today, gone many years ago. And it's not even that old! 

On 8/13/2022 at 4:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I did this as a kid, teens at least, idk enough about cars though to know how I did 😂

IMG_20220813_155205591.jpg

It's worth noting this was a model kit put together with what was available in the 90's, has black light paint I know that...

On 8/13/2022 at 1:09 PM, Buzzetta said:

Is it me or does the one of the left look better than the new and improved "Photo Real" version on the right? 

68210269607__E2ACCFE1-4096-48BC-9211-8969FB7A7774.jpeg

On 8/13/2022 at 4:07 PM, 707comics said:

Face looks way better on the left one!

The one on the left is also much shorter than the one on the right and slightly out of scale. .  

It's a tricky decision as to which to keep but I am going to keep the one on the right as for now. 

On 8/12/2022 at 3:45 PM, Cat said:

For collectors that keep their figures sealed they're tough to keep, but you're right...it probably comes off if you open the package and wipe the figures.

On 8/15/2022 at 1:47 AM, MultiSig Mike said:

For collectors that keep their figures sealed they're tough to keep, but you're right...it probably comes off if you open the package and wipe the figures.

Yeah, it did that at the time, but that was now 15 odd years ago. Who knows if it aging has changed its characteristics. I'd assume no, it's still a case of easy to wipe off, but can't say for certain.