• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,485 posts in this topic

New Marvel Legends release announced today I'm looking forward to--a 3-pack with Venom and the Agony and Riot symbiotes.  That half-Eddie Brock, half-Venom head sculpt on Venom looks spectacular.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QFV3LK3

71jYgYLoXWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

On 8/1/2022 at 9:35 AM, F For Fake said:

It was a good toy weekend for me. First up, Transformers! My Selects Cyclonus (i.e. original toy deco) showed up this weekend. Same mold as Kingdom, obviously, but in the deep, rich purple of the original G1 figure. Oddly, the elbows and upper arms on mine are REALLY loose. I don't usually run into joint problems, and this isn't a mold they've done to death, so I was a little surprised.

I plan on displaying him in jet mode, as I love the design, and he can be "His Armada" to my Kingdom Cyclonus. Speaking of which, I've worked on my modern TF display a bit. My Detolfs are full of vintage TF and Joes, so I had to convert a bookshelf into a modern TF display. It is black, like, "none more black" black, so I tried brightening it up with some puck lights and led strips. Looks ok for now. This is my '86 movie display. Still need a few guys to round it out, but you get the basic idea.

IMG_7955.JPG

IMG_7961.JPG

IMG_7930.JPG

IMG_7931.JPG

IMG_7933.JPG

IMG_7934.JPG

IMG_7960.JPG

He looks great in jet mode.

Patrick

On 8/1/2022 at 9:45 AM, F For Fake said:

More importantly, this weekend was the 9th Annual Kentuckiana G.I. Joe Expo. It's crazy how this show has grown from its very humble beginnings. Next year they're moving to a convention center about 15 minutes outside of town, which is a bit of a bummer, but apparently the host hotel was raising rates on them, and this new location will allow them to have everything in one big room, and allow for break-out rooms, panels, etc. I've been to the new spot for comic shows before, so I'm at least familiar with it.

At any rate, I go to this show every year with a loose plan, and this year it all worked out pretty well.

First up, I hit the $5 bins to get some loose Dreadnoks for displays, as well as a few other guys. The thing I love about a show like this is, for example, I picked out a loose Hardball from the $5 bin at one table, then went to another and found his gun and backpack for a buck each. So, $7 for a complete figure. He's not in perfect shape, but he's good enough for this display. I also had a Cobra Commander gun at home, so I found this Hooded Coco loose for $20 along with a file card they threw in for free, and now he's complete! 

I also always look for complete boxed Battle Stations and Battle field accessory sets. This year I picked up a LAW, and tracked down a really nice Hawk and Mainframe to complete the displays. As some of you may know, I like to get display the pieces with figures that correspond to the box art, as I am a super nerd.

I also wanted to round out my boxed Dreadnoks display, so I picked up a Dreadnok Cycle. Box is a little beat, but it included the instructions and catalog. I think I'll actually keep the Dreadnok Cycle I already have, as it's a little nicer, but I'm happy to have the box and inserts for my display. I was looking for an loose Zandar to display with the cycle, but couldn't find one for less than $15. I guess that's not bad for a loose complete figure these days, but 1. I don't need a complete figure for this display, I have a complete one for my collection and 2. I can remember just a short three or four years ago when you could find them in the loose bins for $2-$3, so I just can't make myself pay more than $5 for one now!

Finally, I wanted to get one large item, for sure. My #1 choice was a Tactical Battle Platform, but I didn't find one. So, my #2 choice was a Rolling Thunder, and I found a really nice one complete with decent box. I never had this one as a kid, man, it's enormous! Going to have to figure out where the hell I'm going to put it. 

So, another year, another great show. I never have enough cash to get all of the great bargains, but I was happy that I came away with one large item, one Dreadnok piece, one Battle Station, and a handful of loose figures. All in all, I'd call it a success!

IMG_7912.JPG

IMG_7913.JPG

IMG_7914.JPG

IMG_7916.JPG

IMG_7917.JPG

IMG_7918.JPG

IMG_7919.JPG

IMG_7920.JPG

IMG_7922.JPG

IMG_7923.JPG

IMG_7924.JPG

IMG_7925.JPG

IMG_7926.JPG

IMG_7927.JPG

IMG_7928.JPG

IMG_7929.JPG

I'd love a Rolling Thunder box.  Such a great vehicle.  Wish I'd known about the show, would have been my 1st.

Patrick

Finally added it to my collection.

Only the Dino though.

This thing is a monster.  37" long.

Bronto from Dino Riders.

I've literally only found 1 other.  That was Minnesota and he would not give it up. 

Patrick

20220803_103610.jpg

On 8/3/2022 at 10:45 AM, followtheleader said:

I'd love a Rolling Thunder box.  Such a great vehicle.  Wish I'd known about the show, would have been my 1st.

Patrick

Hey Patrick! Sorry, I forgot that you're much closer to me now! Go ahead and mark your calendar for the 2023 shows. Traditionally the Winterfest is a much smaller show, and the summer show is the big one that took three rooms of the hotel. However, they're moving to a new facility next year, so I'm thinking the shows will be the same size going forward.

Here's a link to their information page.

https://kygijoe.com/index.html

Keep an eye on that one, even though it has old info at the moment. I don't believe they've announced the dates of the 2023 shows yet, but there's always one in January and one in July. It's usually the last weekend of both months, but that can change. Just keep an eye on their site, and if you're so inclined, they update their FB page more often than the website.

The new location will be

Paroquet Springs Conference Center

395 Paroquet Springs Dr

Shepherdsville, KY 40165

It's only about 15 mins south of Louisville, not a huge change.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:48 AM, followtheleader said:

Finally added it to my collection.

Only the Dino though.

This thing is a monster.  37" long.

Bronto from Dino Riders.

I've literally only found 1 other.  That was Minnesota and he would not give it up. 

Patrick

20220803_103610.jpg

Amazing. Dino Riders are TOUGH. I mean, I never, ever see them.

On 8/2/2022 at 12:58 PM, fantastic_four said:

Agreed, it's fantastic.  Every Mafex made over the last few years is, really.

The Mafex version with the black suit is great as well.  Mine is below shown on the Mythic Legions Balius horse.

AL9nZEX7EIThHV1t6ryO4hK3VCEWcqY1JtFRbcuJ

That looks outstanding! I ended up buying the McFarlane Dark Knight figures - mostly in order to get the Build-A-Horse, but also because I wanted an inexpensive Carrie Kelly and Superman. I just got them from Amazon (got them on sale for around $65 for the whole set), so I haven't opened them yet. I know the Mafex are smaller than the McFarlane stuff, but I think it'll still work with the scale if I want to swap in the Mafex version on the horse.

IMG_5567.thumb.JPG.c7aa8c64aa51c6500c06dfa1d1e06e88.JPG

IMG_5568.thumb.JPG.765df9fc138ba02a39b50be6b8ba1822.JPG

I have the McFarlane build-a-horse and love it.  I also have the McFarlane Roach horse from the Witcher television series, and while I like it I prefer the build-a-horse slightly more just due to the mane style; the build-a-horse's mane sticks up which is better for action poses.  The build-a-horse's tail can also support the weight of the horse for raring-up on two leg poses whereas the Roach horse's tail can't.  Balius and the build-a-horse are the same scale and almost identical heights, and below is a comparative pic between the two.  They're both bigger than the average horse at 6-inch scale, but there are so many large breeds of horses (Shire, Cyldesdale, Belgian Draft, etc) that would be the same size as a slightly oversized horse that I'm totally fine with it.

I love the look of the build-a-horse, and the only downside is the articulation.  The legs don't move in and out at all and the feet seem a bit too close together, so finding a stable standing pose can be rough.  The head and neck also don't move left and right at all whereas a real horse can move its head so far left or right that it could bite a rider's foot if it wanted to.  The Mythic Legions Balius can move its legs in and out and can move its head and neck left and right, plus the detailing is better, but it's more expensive ($55 retail from Four Horseman, around $80 from BigBadToyStore, and around $150 on eBay) so the McFarlane build-a-horse is absolutely fine since horses don't play much of a part in most superhero displays.

vixqhzmx46081.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

On 8/3/2022 at 11:49 AM, F For Fake said:

Amazing. Dino Riders are TOUGH. I mean, I never, ever see them.

Truth!  I rarely see them too. 

Ended up getting the Bronto, Styracosaurus, Monoclonius, Triceratops, and Torosaurus from one party.   

In a very backward fashion, my friend sold me a sizeable bag of Dino Rider accessories many moons ago.  So we'll see what we can put together. 

Patrick

On 8/3/2022 at 11:28 AM, fantastic_four said:

I have the McFarlane build-a-horse and love it.  I also have the McFarlane Roach horse from the Witcher television series, and while I like it I prefer the build-a-horse slightly more just due to the mane style; the build-a-horse's mane sticks up which is better for action poses.  The build-a-horse's tail can also support the weight of the horse for raring-up on two leg poses whereas the Roach horse's tail can't.  Balius and the build-a-horse are the same scale and almost identical heights, and below is a comparative pic between the two.  They're both bigger than the average horse at 6-inch scale, but there are so many large breeds of horses (Shire, Cyldesdale, Belgian Draft, etc) that would be the same size as a slightly oversized horse that I'm totally fine with it.

I love the look of the build-a-horse, and the only downside is the articulation.  The legs don't move in and out at all and the feet seem a bit too close together, so finding a stable standing pose can be rough.  The head and neck also don't move left and right at all whereas a real horse can move its head so far left or right that it could bite a rider's foot if it wanted to.  The Mythic Legions Balius can move its legs in and out and can move its head and neck left and right, plus the detailing is better, but it's more expensive ($55 retail from Four Horseman, around $80 from BigBadToyStore, and around $150 on eBay) so the McFarlane build-a-horse is absolutely fine since horses don't play much of a part in most superhero displays.

vixqhzmx46081.jpg

Yeah, the BAH legs look a little spindly, especially next to that amazing-looking one. I do like the look of the BAH though, and I think it'll be cool to use with other figures aside from the Dark Knight ones.

The fourth and last 1:12 scale horse I have is the Mythic Legions Aethon and Arethyr set shown below, but I haven't taken the horse out of the box because I haven't thought of any good superhero displays to put it in.  But when I bought Balius Aethon and Arethyr were available so I jumped on them.

Mythic Legions is a really weird line in the way they sell them.  The company that makes them is Four Horsemen, and they sell in two ways--directly through their web site and through third parties like BBTS.  But when they sell directly it's MUCH cheaper, usually about 30% to 50% cheaper.  And they make things it such limited quantities that everything triples or quadruples on the open market, so when I see something semi-desirable on their site I grab it since it's usually all gone within minutes.

That line has one other mount I'm semi-interested in--a riding moose shown below.  But that one I REALLY am not sure what displays I'd ever put it in, so I didn't pull the trigger when I could have.  May find myself eventually wanting it though.

Mythic-Legions-Arethyr-Aethon-Set-59.jpg

alder-quarter-left.jpg

On 8/3/2022 at 4:36 PM, Ducky13 said:

Recently completed Optimus Prime Lego. Pretty awesome, a little awkward to "transform" but a great display for my room.

20220703_150848.jpg

There were a lot of people that did some interesting tweaks on this set.

Search Eurobricks and Reddit. 

It's a great set though and on my list. 

On 8/3/2022 at 3:10 PM, fantastic_four said:

The fourth and last 1:12 scale horse I have is the Mythic Legions Aethon and Arethyr set shown below, but I haven't taken the horse out of the box because I haven't thought of any good superhero displays to put it in.  But when I bought Balius Aethon and Arethyr were available so I jumped on them.

Mythic Legions is a really weird line in the way they sell them.  The company that makes them is Four Horsemen, and they sell in two ways--directly through their web site and through third parties like BBTS.  But when they sell directly it's MUCH cheaper, usually about 30% to 50% cheaper.  And they make things it such limited quantities that everything triples or quadruples on the open market, so when I see something semi-desirable on their site I grab it since it's usually all gone within minutes.

That line has one other mount I'm semi-interested in--a riding moose shown below.  But that one I REALLY am not sure what displays I'd ever put it in, so I didn't pull the trigger when I could have.  May find myself eventually wanting it though.

alder-quarter-left.jpg

This is where I come in..., 

You find a way to kitbash together or customize a Wolverine figure to look like a mountie... You put him on the moose holding a Canadian flag in one hand and claws extended on the other. 

Edited by Buzzetta