• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,342 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I too would like to see Hot Toys get into some different properties. But with the prices, I'm ok with a few figures per year. Especially since they are making another Jedi Luke Skywalker.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-luke-skywalker-deluxe-version-hot-toys-903108/

I just got the recent one. But this looks like another nice set. Still from $229 to $282. Ouch. They know everyone will want an Endor set of the heroes as Return of the Jedi was the last great Star Wars movie.

Hot Toys is tops when it comes to 1/6 and 1/4 figures. Every other company seems a bit off here and there. Especially when they make the same figure. There was a comparison of the Sideshow and Hot Toys Deadpool figure. And the Hot Toys one was way better.

Toys and whiskey. I needed a drink after seeing the price of the new Optimus Masterpiece toy. $450!!!

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/84183

I saw some people were ordering it from Amazon Japan for around $300 USD.

6 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

That's fine.  But at any point in time it seems quite difficult to even find out what all the options are to begin to assess.

Maybe price guides?  Is there an equivalent with action figures to what Overstreet or GPA are to comics?

I'm sure there are price guides but I've never bought any. For vintage figures there are all sorts of guides for Joes and Transformers, but as for more modern figures like Marvel Legends, I'm really not aware of any. There are different sites that have checklists for various figure lines. I used to look at itsalltrue.net back when I was buying He-Man Classics and various Marvel Universe figures, but I'm not sure if they're still around.

On 12/2/2018 at 6:54 PM, followtheleader said:

One of my fav purchases. 

Black Lagoon is one of my all-time favorite figures.  That alone would have pleased me. 

Clash of the Titans with the tail is great times. 

Lastly, I'd not seen the lion in my travels.  Since learned it's from the 70s Flash Gordon series.  Absolutely love it.  

Wish I found more with this odd assortment. 

Patrick 

20181125_213029.jpg

Don't think I've ever quoted myself.  

Saw that Reaction did a Creature from the Black Lagoon.  Local shop had one. 

Seems very similar to the original I posted above.  Still thinking the vintage is better. 

Color on the new is a little too light.  Almost borders on the Creature mating with C3P0.

Patrick

4e224952-5898-4467-89ba-0b34f7bd76ce_1.534409a33ab04b96f7f04e640f830cdd.jpeg

On 10/11/2018 at 4:19 PM, Cocomonkey said:

I have a random question...I've seen a lot of pictures in this thread of figures displayed in clear plastic (lucite?) boxes--not graded figures, just on display. What exactly are these called (for searching around) and where can one get some? I'm getting some shelving soon that I want to display a couple of my G1 Transformers on, but I don't want them to collect dust, either.

Wait for an eBay coupon and basically get them direct from the CGA store. I recommend multiples in one trip to maximize combined shipping value cost.  Any cases I need I get here as they are custom sized/built for the specific toy line and they specialize in non-graded G1 TF slabs. Also SW too.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/cgacases/m.html?item=261504546013&epid=1631669609&hash=item3ce2e2b4dd%3Ag%3AXXoAAMXQdm5Q9SKz%3Ark%3A1%3Apf%3A0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

FYI 15% Ebay coupon today (Thanks lizards2)! Thanks to catching up on this thread, I am definitely shopping.

How to redeem your Coupon:

1. Shop for eligible items. (See below for exclusions).
  2. Enter the Coupon code in the redemption code field: PICKUPSALE
  3. Pay for your item by 12:00 AM Pacific Time on December 16, 2018
Edited by BAT MAN

You people...I bought these today at an estate sale but only because of seeing the MF all the time here on the boards! Had to take the others (Fisher Price) with the Falcon, which is incomplete 1979 version but enough there to flip it. See the estate sales thread to see why I went there. :sumo:

DueP1AzWwAAT1Eb.jpg

26 minutes ago, Bird said:

You people...I bought these today at an estate sale but only because of seeing the MF all the time here on the boards! Had to take the others (Fisher Price) with the Falcon, which is incomplete 1979 version but enough there to flip it. See the estate sales thread to see why I went there. :sumo:

Nice! Be sure to check out the hidden floor compartment in the MF :cool:

On 12/14/2018 at 9:25 PM, followtheleader said:

Don't think I've ever quoted myself.  

Saw that Reaction did a Creature from the Black Lagoon.  Local shop had one. 

Seems very similar to the original I posted above.  Still thinking the vintage is better. 

Color on the new is a little too light.  Almost borders on the Creature mating with C3P0.

Patrick

4e224952-5898-4467-89ba-0b34f7bd76ce_1.534409a33ab04b96f7f04e640f830cdd.jpeg

Cool card art!  The green is a little too bright on the ReAction figure for my taste (and that face...).  I love what ReAction is doing and the licenses they've picked up.

Finally got the set together. Grunt was the holdout, took a while to find one in good condition; his box has a crease on the left side from where the shipping box was dented, but I'm ok with it as these are for my PC.

On the subject of plasti-crack, if anyone has a Kenner Aliens Hive Playset they're willing to part with, let me know. I have the Queen Alien from the playset, but somehow over the years the hive base & little red egg-burster were lost.

IMG_5556.JPG

Edited by BabaLament

23 hours ago, Yorick said:

Cool card art!  The green is a little too bright on the ReAction figure for my taste (and that face...).  I love what ReAction is doing and the licenses they've picked up.

I agree, the green tone and face are not the best.  

The card art is definitely the best part.  And how close it is to the Remco version.  

Patrick 

My kickoff into the figures I wished I had as a kid began this week.  First up is Fantastic Four, and I picked up the figures below released this year.  Still looking for the Thing after it just came out a few months ago at Walgreens only, but you can't find the friggin' thing anywhere.  :pullhair:  Next up will probably be the 2011 19" Galactus figure, followed by an X-Men lineup centered around the 2011 16" sentinel figure, one of two Juggernaut figures, and an assortment of X-Men I'm still deciding on.

-7337091698184931684.jpg

Do you guys know some good display stands, or guides for displaying figures on various surfaces?  The best generic ones I'm aware of right now are these:

https://www.amazon.com/MLST-A01C-multi-stand-clear-multiple/dp/B00UUTBFGY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1545227099

But I'm also curious about techniques and tools for mounting them to vertical surfaces, hanging them from above, etc.  I posed the five X-Men figures from the original X-Men set a while back in my display case, and for Angel I tied a copper wire around his waist and fed it down from the roof of the case so he appeared to be flying.  But that was a huge pain to do, so I'm looking for easier ways to achieve similar results.

41ivnjwcasL.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

7 minutes ago, BabaLament said:

@fantastic_four Nice piece! I've always liked the Sentinel design. Hopefully someone does a model of the Marvel Vs. Capcom version one day; its very different from the traditional model, but I think that gives it its own visual appeal.

That game has influenced a lot of my visual preferences for Marvel characters as well.  I particularly love how massive Juggernaut is, the exaggeratedly-wide proportions from that game are my favorite for Juggs now.  I really want the Marvel Select Juggernaut (at right in pic below) because he has those same proportions whereas the Marvel Legends Build-a-Figure Juggernaut (at left in pic below) is slightly more slender.

maxresdefault.jpg b20180311_201524.png

Edited by fantastic_four