• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,346 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Is there a backstory on that?  Were they banned or something?

Why do you ask?  

I don't recall them being banned (though I'm sure they were somewhere). 

Tons were sold in the US in the 80s.  Ebay does have a policy that you have to alter the pics to look like a toy gun (you'll see people use faux orange capping). 

Patrick

10 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Great pickup for 20 bucks.  They are not easy to find anymore and parts are fairly expensive. 

The unbroken missile arms are a big deal.  Even though everyone knows the fans are nearly always broken, those can be replaced.  The missile arms can too, but are a super pain and can cause inadvertent damage very easily.  

I'm excited about the sprued parts.  Looks more for the Night Shade, correct? 

I ended up getting a complete one not long ago, so I've been toying with selling my original partial.  

Patrick

Thanks I’m going to try my best to get it back together as original as possible. They look awesome complete. 

Yep the spured parts are night shade but unfortunately missing a bunch of stuff even though it wasn’t put together. I would love to get the stuff to finish it. Let me know if your partial would complete it. 

3EF0C4FD-45F9-4B1B-B1E7-E3003AECA102.jpeg

28 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Why do you ask?  

I don't recall them being banned (though I'm sure they were somewhere). 

Tons were sold in the US in the 80s.  Ebay does have a policy that you have to alter the pics to look like a toy gun (you'll see people use faux orange capping). 

Patrick

So, imagine the excitement of any redblooded American child who — unlike someone in my home country (or Canada), where Megatron was banned because he turned into a gun (which, yes, made him even cooler. Because, come on. What is more awesome to a child than a toy that's apparently too dangerous for you to actually own?)* — found this waiting for them under the religious iconography gift identifier of their choice:

* I have since been informed numerous times by commenters that this is entirely untrue, and that Megatron was available in both the UK and Canada in the '80s. So much for my faulty memory and urban myths. Sorry, all. The 9 Transformers Toys Who Looked Nothing Like Their Cartoon Counterparts [Topless Robot]

I knew there was some history about that toy, what the real story is I don't know.  I didn't look too hard but you can google it some and find out more... it seems it was banned in Australia maybe... 

More...

Well, Megatrons at least:
TSA: TSA Issues Guidelines to Help Passengers through Security and Expands List of Prohibited Items

Under not allowed:
# Swords
# Tear gas
# Throwing stars
# Toy transformer robots (this toy forms a toy gun)
# Toy weapons

Finally, I think the thing needs to be like bright orange and not look like an actual gun to be made today.  You do have a little bit of an infamous toy hah!

Edited by Karl Liebl

Yep, can confirm G1 Megs was banned in Oz. Not to get political, but even today in my state if you want to own any decent size version of gun Megatron, you require an actual gun permit. 

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

@followtheleader would love to see pics of your stuff too! I'm all about living vicariously through collection pics!

What items do you want to see?  

I'm planning to post a purchase or two from a show this weekend.  

Patrick

Went to a toy show on Saturday. 

It's an odd and eclectic toy show as it ranges from old tins/banks, large die cast vehicles, and some modern toys.  The average buyers age has to be 65. 

Overall, not many purchases.  But that's to be expected with my interests and the wide variety. 

One dealer offered to sell me a Voltron III by Matchbox for pretty cheap.  After multiple refusals to purchase, it was offered so low that I couldn't pass.  It's kinder of a beater, but looks cool.  I still can't understand why he didn't just sit on it a bit longer and got more cash.  

The same dealer offered me a late 70s robot that I hadn't seen before.  Sitting in a bag out of view.  Definitely piqued my interest.  

Ended up being a Leopaldon/Lepardon.  Tons of accessories, great shape, and instructions.  

I've read a bit about it since, but I'm curious if people have some background  on it.  

One of the swords is HUGE in comparison to the robot.  Would give Voltron a run for his money. 

Ended up getting it for a great price.  They don't see too cheap either.  

Patrick

20190217_184355.jpg

10 hours ago, followtheleader said:

It's an odd and eclectic toy show as it ranges from old tins/banks, large die cast vehicles, and some modern toys.  The average buyers age has to be 65. 

Overall, not many purchases.  But that's to be expected with my interests and the wide variety. 

One dealer offered to sell me a Voltron III by Matchbox for pretty cheap.  After multiple refusals to purchase, it was offered so low that I couldn't pass.  It's kinder of a beater, but looks cool.  I still can't understand why he didn't just sit on it a bit longer and got more cash.  

The same dealer offered me a late 70s robot that I hadn't seen before.  Sitting in a bag out of view.  Definitely piqued my interest.  

Ended up being a Leopaldon/Lepardon.  Tons of accessories, great shape, and instructions.  

I've read a bit about it since, but I'm curious if people have some background  on it.  

One of the swords is HUGE in comparison to the robot.  Would give Voltron a run for his money. 

Patrick

20190217_184355.jpg

Was that the show in Loveland, CO?  If so I went in the morning and was shocked that there was a lot of vintage stuff at it. I expected a bunch of new stuff. I didn’t pick up anything but my son walked out with a light saber. 

15 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Patrick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man_(Japanese_TV_series) 

Japanese Spider-man !!!!!

Took a walk to the bank to drop off some documents. (It's not horrible outside and I am off today).

On the way back... someone put a out a clear container of Playmobile... Grabbed it and now sorting it.  To eBay it goes !

I have to organize it first but with a quick rummage through there are a bunch of 80's Smurfs in there as well. 

57229811078__00F5A3F3-3C0D-4A33-8DAF-0EB8E428F3BC 2.jpeg

Whoa... that was annoying... 

I will put it up with a ridiculous price and a BIN - that seems to be the only way to go.  Too bad the playsets that this stuff came from were not put at the curb.  I am sure the silverware like the goblets and spoons are harder to find than the castle itself.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

On 2/17/2019 at 10:58 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Well I can’t believe I’m the owner of a rare GI Joe Night Striker now. My son spotted this for only $20 yesterday. It needs a few things but most of the crazy hard to find stuff is there. I have a regular Whale I can steal some parts from. I’m looking forward to completing it. Rest of the stuff was another $20

EBEA3B5F-3CEB-4F4A-8BC7-170E114E1376.jpeg

When you go swimming at the beach, does buried treasure wash ashore in front of your feet?

10 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

When you go swimming at the beach, does buried treasure wash ashore in front of your feet?

I've been trying to paddle opportunity buys his way, but somehow he gets the good stuff all on his own haha. 

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've been trying to paddle opportunity buys his way, but somehow he gets the good stuff all on his own haha. 

Unless it is ridiculous opportunity I am going to see if I can refrain from buying anything in March.  

It's not a money thing... it's a social experiment and a battle of wills 

Wait... when is Big Apple Comic Con / New York Comic Book Marketplace - whatever... the 'Carbo' show?

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Unless it is ridiculous opportunity I am going to see if I can refrain from buying anything in March.  

Wait... when is Big Apple Comic Con / New York Comic Book Marketplace - whatever... the 'Carbo' show?

Apple con is in April the 14th -15th to be exact...

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Apple con is in April the 14th -15th to be exact...

April 13th for the carbo show according to Facebook  :foryou:

OMG... so... this came in my email...

Apparently if I keep this I will need a 'barge buddy' which sounds wrong in eight different ways.  I took the liberty of posting the email and instruction booklet.  This thing is a beast. 

mail.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 5.33.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 5.33.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 5.33.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 5.34.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 5.34.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 5.34.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 5.34.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 5.35.06 PM.png