• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,342 posts in this topic

Not sure how I feel about this. Fair enough it's not the first time they've been reissued, but that was nothing like this. Hmm. 

Got to admit, it does make me start to wonder about selling off some of my MOC originals. 

4 hours ago, comicwiz said:

@Buzzetta I thought maybe no one had picked-up on that - who listens to me anyway ;)

Not thrilled about it. The biggest concern will be the way Hasbro has used license to "retro" as "repro." I should make it clear that I've neve been a fan of reissues, so this is all lost on me no matter what it is. But of course, people will soon be buying these, comparing weapons to discern any differences, as well as the material on the figures. It will trickle down to the community so that we hopefully will be able to be somewhat vigilant in knowing the differences between vintage and these licensed repros. While I did know this was coming, it's always difficult to process when you're seeing it unfold. I knew the community of vintage Star Wars collectors wouldn't receive this well, and so far, that voice doesn't seem to matter since the Yakface blog is reporting that they're sold out at the moment.

Just because I do not always comment does not mean I do not always read lol 

Rebelscum is reporting from Toy Fair and apparently these figures will be slightly larger than the Kenner originals.  I am guessing that they were 3D mapped from the originals.  What is strange is that they are going to start making 'new' figures in the retro style.  The first such announced figure is a Grand Moff Tarkin figure. 

I am not really interested in the line as I already have a complete loose set. 

However, with that said, it might be kind of nice to have one or two of them to stick in my display cabinet that I don't have to worry about as far as being on display... 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Just because I do not always comment does not mean I do not always read lol 

Rebelscum is reporting from Toy Fair and apparently these figures will be slightly larger than the Kenner originals.  I am guessing that they were 3D mapped from the originals.  What is strange is that they are going to start making 'new' figures in the retro style.  The first such announced figure is a Grand Moff Tarkin figure. 

I am not really interested in the line as I already have a complete loose set. 

However, with that said, it might be kind of nice to have one or two of them to stick in my display cabinet that I don't have to worry about as far as being on display... 

I think the plan (at least as how I've heard) is to produce all 93. We'll have to wait and see if they can sustain demand for them to actually do them all.

4 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I think the plan (at least as how I've heard) is to produce all 93. We'll have to wait and see if they can sustain demand for them to actually do them all.

Let the butthurt begin then because as history has proven and is repeating itself with today's announced Black Series and Vintage Line exclusives, some of those 93 will be the exclusives of some obscure promotion or store or even an event.  A SDCC exclusive is inevitable then with this line but it had better be a blue saber Luke Jedi instead of something like a Tie Fighter pilot.

As I am sitting here by the computer I did give it some thought and I have to admit that it would be nice to get a few figures that fit seamlessly into the Kenner Vintage line that were never made.   I would suspect that simply for nostalgia purposes even you would be interested in a proper Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise to compliment the Luke, a Slave Girl Leia to complete the Jabba Throne room scene or even a Rebel Fleet trooper...

Or maybe they go full on nuts and release the unproduced 86-87 continuation line and they give us the Kenner version of Episode VII-IX

@Buzzetta  I thought there had been some announcement that there would not be any more Slave Leia's.  No?  (shrug)

I'm not too keen on re-releasing the existing figures, but I approve of NEW figures to compliment the old style.

7 minutes ago, Yorick said:

@Buzzetta  I thought there had been some announcement that there would not be any more Slave Leia's.  No?  (shrug)

I'm not too keen on re-releasing the existing figures, but I approve of NEW figures to compliment the old style.

No official word has ever been overtly stated about the Slave Leia merchandise.  With that said, I have not seen much if anything in the vein of that famous bikini on any recently produced merchandise... 

However, that COULD change with Hasbro revisiting certain figures this year as the Sail Barge is about to ship. 

Whoa... Hasbro is rolling out the support for the barge...

Newly designed Skiff, Jabba's barge three pack over at Entertainment Earth, Yak Face and Klatau up on preorder on HTS / Hasbro Pulse, relrelease of Gammorean Guards....

And with all that...

That Transformers Omega Supreme really is magnificent. Even at $160 I think I need that. 

41+kO1mVi8L.jpg

41FS8H3voPL.jpg

51BVhsrR4kL.jpg

47 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Let the butthurt begin then because as history has proven and is repeating itself with today's announced Black Series and Vintage Line exclusives, some of those 93 will be the exclusives of some obscure promotion or store or even an event.  A SDCC exclusive is inevitable then with this line but it had better be a blue saber Luke Jedi instead of something like a Tie Fighter pilot.

As I am sitting here by the computer I did give it some thought and I have to admit that it would be nice to get a few figures that fit seamlessly into the Kenner Vintage line that were never made.   I would suspect that simply for nostalgia purposes even you would be interested in a proper Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise to compliment the Luke, a Slave Girl Leia to complete the Jabba Throne room scene or even a Rebel Fleet trooper...

Or maybe they go full on nuts and release the unproduced 86-87 continuation line and they give us the Kenner version of Episode VII-IX

I can definitely see the Tarkin being one of those figures you describe, that even a vintage hardliner would find too tempting to pass up. But at the end of the day, I see this as interesting as buying the Amazing Fantasy 15 variant cover, which publishes the original Ditko cover. It's a great reference point in the history of Marvel comics, but my eyes are fixed on Kirby's iteration of the original AF 15, and sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

tarkin.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

they keep going back to the vintage well don't they? man o man, I don't have a ton of Original Kenner Star Wars stuff, but I do have a fair amount, it was difficult enough discerning fakes, repros from the real thing, not to mention Mr. Replicator boxes, which is why I resorted to only buying in person at toy shows, flea markets, etc. I educated myself as much as possible and went from there. here's a comparison pic someone posted on Facebook. showing the different markings. looks to be very easy to tell the difference.

52146351_10210672148119924_6931120339980124160_n.jpg

I'm surprised that the overwelming majority of collectors are excited about these, and all state they can't wait to display these or hang on their walls, I just can't understand how someone can feel good about displaying a $10 figure. I mean I would love to have an Action #1, but i'm not going to be excited about a $10 reprint to display, guess I'm different or just been hanging around here too long.

oh, and I can't wait for the new Vinyl cape Jawa or Blue Snaggletooth. (NOT!)

Edited by thedude

15 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Well I can’t believe I’m the owner of a rare GI Joe Night Striker now. My son spotted this for only $20 yesterday. It needs a few things but most of the crazy hard to find stuff is there. I have a regular Whale I can steal some parts from. I’m looking forward to completing it. Rest of the stuff was another $20

EBEA3B5F-3CEB-4F4A-8BC7-170E114E1376.jpeg

DUDE! I love the Night Force stuff. Killer pickup.

6 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Thanks man! I love it. I spent some time getting everything cleaned up. I can’t wait to get the missing pieces. 

I picked up this beauty this morning. I had to pay up for it but it’s really nice. It just needs an unused sticker sheet to complete it

DEF355B2-2E0D-4B64-8710-FE26566B56C2.jpeg

Killing it left and right!

1 hour ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Thanks man! I love it. I spent some time getting everything cleaned up. I can’t wait to get the missing pieces. 

I picked up this beauty this morning. I had to pay up for it but it’s really nice. It just needs an unused sticker sheet to complete it

DEF355B2-2E0D-4B64-8710-FE26566B56C2.jpeg

Is there a backstory on that?  Were they banned or something?

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

DUDE! I love the Night Force stuff. Killer pickup.

Great pickup for 20 bucks.  They are not easy to find anymore and parts are fairly expensive. 

The unbroken missile arms are a big deal.  Even though everyone knows the fans are nearly always broken, those can be replaced.  The missile arms can too, but are a super pain and can cause inadvertent damage very easily.  

I'm excited about the sprued parts.  Looks more for the Night Shade, correct? 

I ended up getting a complete one not long ago, so I've been toying with selling my original partial.  

Patrick