• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

is it just me or am I getting old but why would I want to read or watch anyone's review before I see a movie. Why have others - mostly people for whoms opinions I have little respect - cloud or plant their bs into my viewing experience. 

To avoid wasting two hours watching a Catwoman, or an Elektra, or a Green Lantern in the theater.  Better to watch those on video, if at all.  

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:
14 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

is it just me or am I getting old but why would I want to read or watch anyone's review before I see a movie. Why have others - mostly people for whoms opinions I have little respect - cloud or plant their bs into my viewing experience. 

To avoid wasting two hours watching a Catwoman, or an Elektra, or a Green Lantern in the theater.  Better to watch those on video, if at all.  

If it's something I want to see than I would rather take that chance. Again, why have others tell me whats bad and good, rather figure that out on my own. Even if it costs a few bucks now and then.

Just now, Mr Sneeze said:

If it's something I want to see than I would rather take that chance. Again, why have others tell me whats bad and good, rather figure that out on my own. Even if it costs a few bucks now and then.

Bad reviews won't dictate my behavior for watching a movie that I've already decided I would like to see, but they may dictate whether I pony up for the expense of seeing that movie in the theatre or whether I wait for a rental on Amazon.

I'm still looking forward to seeing this film, though I'm still not entirely sure why they went with Brie Larson. She doesn't strike me as a very strong Ms/Captain Marvel. Maybe after seeing the movie, I'll have a better understanding as to why.

Edited by Darkowl

6 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

Bad reviews won't dictate my behavior for watching a movie that I've already decided I would like to see, but they may dictate whether I pony up for the expense of seeing that movie in the theatre or whether I wait for a rental on Amazon.

Problem is, for me at least, is that once I've heard one (a review), for better of worse, it's poisoned the well.

Edited by Mr Sneeze

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

What is your fixation with some of these movies that you seem to always go back to them?

'...will exceed Justice League'

'...may eclipse Green Lantern...'

Comparing any new movies with films that bombed is an approach. How about comparing to films that excelled?

Huh?

In my post I literally started by comparing it to a bunch of films that excelled. Namely, it looks like it will open "about in line with Iron Man 2 / Suicide Squad and well above Guardians of the Galaxy, Wonder Woman and The Winter Soldier."

Also, the comparison to Green Lantern is apt because of all the major comic book movies -- produced by any studio -- so far, Captain Marvel looks closest to Green Lantern -- in origin, powers, and space-focused story.

I've also noted before that my biggest concern about Captain Marvel is from the trailers it looks like a lot like Green Lantern -- a film I was incredibly disappointed by.

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Huh?

In my post I literally started by comparing it to a bunch of films that excelled. Namely, it looks like it will open "about in line with Iron Man 2 / Suicide Squad and well above Guardians of the Galaxy, Wonder Woman and The Winter Soldier."

Also, the comparison to Green Lantern is apt because of all the major comic book movies -- produced by any studio -- so far, Captain Marvel looks closest to Green Lantern -- in origin, powers, and space-focused story.

I've also noted before that my biggest concern about Captain Marvel is from the trailers it looks like a lot like Green Lantern -- a film I was incredibly disappointed by.

One has nothing to do with the other. But you be you.

18 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

If it's something I want to see than I would rather take that chance.

What if you don't know if you want to see it?  I know very little about Captain Marvel, which is why I've been waiting for the reviews.

11 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Problem is, for me at least, is that once I've heard one (a review), for better of worse, it's poisoned the well.

I don't read any of them, I just use the meta-review scoring to determine if it's generally good or generally bad.  If it's generally bad and a film I won't have an existing bias towards, I skip it.  That's the formula I use for pretty much every DC film since I'm a Marvel zombie, if it's not great I don't go see it in the theater.

19 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

So what's Marvel's plan if the public doesn't love CM like they did Iron Man?

She's their transition plan for the next phase. 

:boo:

Whether the general public loves Carol Danvers or not, she's here to stay. My theory for future Captain Marvel films is that they will be like the Captain America sequels and be mini-Avengers movies with heavy amounts of SHIELD and Nick Fury. I think in addition to showcasing Carol Danvers life, they will also introduce other characters i.e.  I wouldn't be shocked if Logan makes his debut in a future Captain Marvel movie given her comics history with the X-Men and Alpha Flight.

24 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

I'm still looking forward to seeing this film, though I'm still not entirely sure why they went with Brie Larson. She doesn't strike me as a very strong Ms/Captain Marvel. Maybe after seeing the movie, I'll have a better understanding as to why.

My theory (and I have a lot) is that with Captain Marvel being so overpowered, Marvel wants to juxtapose that with strong emotional vulnerability for Carol Danvers, and Brie Larson does that very well. She won an Oscar for it.

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:
28 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

If it's something I want to see than I would rather take that chance.

What if you don't know if you want to see it?  I know very little about Captain Marvel, which is why I've been waiting for the reviews.

20 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

I don't read any of them, I just use the meta-review scoring to determine if it's generally good or generally bad.  If it's generally bad and a film I won't have an existing bias towards, I skip it.  That's the formula I use for pretty much every DC film since I'm a Marvel zombie, if it's not great I don't go see it in the theater.

By all means, whatever works for you. I love reading good reviews or critical response or scores or whatever, but after the fact. Sometimes going out to see a bad movie can have rewards all its own.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

My theory (and I have a lot) is that with Captain Marvel being so overpowered, Marvel wants to juxtapose that with strong emotional vulnerability for Carol Danvers, and Brie Larson does that very well. She won an Oscar for it.

Brie is not only emotionally vulnerable, she has a very soft physical appearance, a somewhat timid demeanor, and a very high-pitched feminine voice.  Associating extreme femininity with the extreme power of Binary places femininity itself into a new light of strength we don't often see.  It's almost the opposite of Wonder Woman and the Amazons, who were a race of women who were extremely masculine in their size, culture, and demeanor.  Brie as Captain Marvel mixes girly-girlness with extraordinary power in a way we haven't seen often, if at all.

18 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Larson was the "trendy" pick for the role when Marvel made it.

And I don't think the people who made that pick actually saw "Room".  

I challenge anyone here to sit through that movie in come out of it extolling the acting prowess of Larson.

And if you don't feel like doing that I will summarize the entire movie for you right here:

First half- Small child yelling and crying hysterically and relentlessly inside the Room.

Second half- Brie Larson yelling and crying hysterically and relentlessly outside the Room.

Interesting concept for a movie though.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Brie as Captain Marvel mixes girly-girlness with extraordinary power in a way we haven't seen often, if at all.

This is long overdue in comics, too.  I always hated how Magneto was typically drawn with huge muscles...why would a guy that powerful ever work out?  He wouldn't.  You don't have to be big or possess many traditionally masculine qualities at all if you can channel the power of a white hole through your body like Binary can, so making her highly feminine by casting Brie Larson seems both entirely appropriate and socially useful to counter the typical unrealistic masculine stereotype that super-powered heroes have often adhered to.

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

I saw a clip of Larson's rear-end in a thong last night, from the film "The Trouble With Bliss". To say I'm disappointed is an understatement...

I read (a rumour?) somewhere that they used a body double for certain "rear" shots.  

Meanwhile, in other news, is it the same RT "trolls" pushing this film's early IMDb to a 5.6? (shrug)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4154664/?ref=m_nv_sr_1

-J.