• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Are you familiar with Metacritic's scoring?  66 is rather good, and none of the Avengers films ever got above 70 on their scale.  Their best-reviewed superhero film ever is Dark Knight at 84.  Their scoring is different than the Rotten Tomatoes Tomatometer, but equivalent to the Rotten Tomatoes average rating that appears in small text below the Tomatometer score.

Black Panther is 88 on Metacritic, that's "stellar."  the Captain Marvel number is trending up, so it's probably ok if you're fine with ok.

4 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

It's way too early, but Rotten Tomatoes critics reviews are solid so far.

86% of the 35 reviews so far are positive (30 positive; 5 negative).

20 of the 25 Metacritic reviews would be considered positive, so that's 80%- would expect the final RT score to fall close to that number. 

1 minute ago, paperheart said:

Black Panther is 88 on Metacritic, that's "stellar."  the Captain Marvel number is trending up, so it's probably ok if you're fine with ok.

That's so much BS.  No way is Black Panther better than Dark Knight.  It's a top 20 superhero film, but not better than all the rest.  That's a political score due to the film's social significance which definitely is greater than the Dark Knight's.

Was the first Avengers film stellar?  I thought so, and that's got a Metacritic score of 69.  So the number will be far less useful than what the critics are saying in their reviews.

13 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:
17 minutes ago, paperheart said:

That's so much BS.  No way is Black Panther better than Dark Knight.  It's a top 20 superhero film, but not better than all the rest. 

I see that the Rotten Tomatoes average rating that's their equivalent of the Metacritic rating is more in line with what I'd expect--Dark Knight is 8.58, Black Panther is 8.26.  My understanding is that both Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes do essentially the same thing by translating the reviewer's scoring to a 100 or 1000 point scale with 100 points for Metacritic, 10 point scale with two points of precision for Rotten Tomatoes.  The difference in their scoring would usually be in the selection of reviewers that each site chooses to include.

12 minutes ago, Bird said:
18 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

No way is Black Panther better than Dark Knight.

Yes, it was! And I love Christian Bale!

Bale?  He's fine, but you'll do me a favor by further claiming that he was the best actor in that film so I can start mentally filtering you out from now on.  :baiting:

So far an 86%. If you actually read the reviews and critics scores ( as opposed to just the aggregate) it is mediocre and that is what most critics are saying.  So looking like a 3/5 star movie.

68 on Metacritic.

Edited by drotto

6 minutes ago, drotto said:

So far an 86%. If you actually read the reviews and critics scores ( as opposed to just the aggregate) it is mediocre and that is what most critics are saying.  So looking like a 3/5 star movie.

68 on Metacritic.

the cat does seem to be getting a lot of raves

4 minutes ago, paperheart said:

the cat does seem to be getting a lot of raves

I'm guessing some joke involving the cat was spoiled for me by the Nick Fury action figure from the movie shown in the spoiler tag below.  :mad:  Hasbro actually declined to show their Avengers: Endgame action figures at a toy fair a few weeks ago because they said they would spoil elements of the film.

Spoiler

img_9388-1.thumb.jpg.bec008a33dd99b98bdfa790232cce6d3.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

The comment I saw that worries me the most about Endgame not CM is from Grace Randolph.  She gave the movie a mixed, but positive review, at the same time saying that Captian Marvel has some Rey like Mary Sue qualities.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

That's so much BS.  No way is Black Panther better than Dark Knight.  It's a top 20 superhero film, but not better than all the rest.  That's a political score due to the film's social significance which definitely is greater than the Dark Knight's.

Was the first Avengers film stellar?  I thought so, and that's got a Metacritic score of 69.  So the number will be far less useful than what the critics are saying in their reviews.

Huh...I thought you own FF52?:baiting:

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada

91% is great so far....now let’s hope it is as good as they’re saying. They said venom sucked and I loved it so we’ll see. 

I just really hope it makes end game even more anticipated and that the skrulls are cool. 

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

From a cultural impact, some will probably see Black Panther as the more critical film.

As a well-crafted story that transcends comic book movies, The Dark Knight is THE film people benchmark against.

I don't think anyone really expects this to be the BEST Marvel movie, but I know I've definitely given money to DC movies that KNOWING they probably wouldn't be great - GL, BvS, SS, Jonah Hex.  Even if it doesn't make the pantheon of Marvel's best, should be watchable using the tried and true Marvel formula.  I get that it might not be for everyone, and I definitely get the sentiment that it feels like a story out of Agents of Shield (if you've been watching it), and I also get that the alleged overt feminism is a turn off to some, and the trailers have not been marvelous, but I like Jude Law, like Brie Larson, like Sam Jackson, generally pro-cat, I've liked the vast majority of Marvel movies, AND there's not a ton of competition in theatres just now.  And I don't think my sentiments are especially unique.  So I think it will do fine, maybe not epically good, but at least 'Ant-Man' good enough for at least 1 sequel.