• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

Well, I don't care if the some of the reviews turn out to be so bad, the movie theatre's start handing out barf bags as you're about to sit down.  I've already bought my ticket for this weekend and I'm really looking forward to watching it. 
The weekend can't get here soon enough.

Edited by musicmeta

8 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

And he did pretty well against Thanos, just not well enough, so in that moment it makes sense that Fury would call in the even bigger gun.

Sort of.  First of all, there's nothing about the post-credits scene that directly connects Fury to the battle in Wakanda.  He has no way of knowing precisely what happened, or that Thanos is on Earth, or even that Thanos is the reason why he's about to crumble to dust.  He's calling in the biggest gun he can other than the ones he's already hoping are in the fight -- but that says nothing about whether he believes Captain Marvel is a "bigger gun" than anyone else.

Let's face it, it takes a hell of a lot of suspension of disbelief to accept that he hit his magic Captain Marvel pager at this moment, but not when aliens were invading New York and the secret council of old people went over his head to fire a freaking nuke at Manhattan.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

2 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

"I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color.

Am I saying I hate white dudes? No, I am not. What I am saying is if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie, and review your movie."

She could have said "I would like to see more reviews on films like A Wrinkle in Time from women of color, since it was meant as a love letter to women of color", without any backlash. I'm not a fan of hers, but I have nothing against her either. I honestly find the whole thing oddly amusing. Everyone seems to take everyone else's words as microaggressions these days.

You (and others) have taken HER words as a microaggression. She essentially has said exactly what you think she should’ve said, just not the way YOU think she should’ve said it. 

Broken down in its purest form, there really isn’t anything offensive or untrue about her statement. 

But then again, white males will protest a violent protest and say it should’ve been peaceful and a peaceful protest as it should’ve been worded differently. Anything to detract from the message. 

2 hours ago, drotto said:

It will have arguably 4 weeks, with US taking a hit to weeks in then. Shazam will basically end CM run, especially with Endgame at the end of April. 

Still do not see this breaking 1 billion, but it may go higher than I originally guessed, still think it falls short of WW.  So call it 750 to 800 mil.

Think you're forgetting about Dumbo which comes out March 29 as well.

I agree with @Gatsby77 unless this movie has insanely positive word of mouth, Jordan Peele takes it down in two weeks, then Dumbo, then Shazam, etc.

This movie basically gets two weeks to pad its coffers as much as possible.  

There really is a reason Disney is dropping it literally everywhere in one shot.  Seems to be a tacit acknowledgement that even they expect it to be very front-loaded.

-J.

Most movies have a short shelf life these days (an exception seems to be Into the Spiderverse which is still playing around here). I just read a glowing review on forbes, so I don't think CM has too much to worry about. Here is a line from that review many will enjoy Which is to say, those angry boys who didn't want girls in their clubhouse will wind up liking it after all, despite themselves. RT seems to be mostly positive as well, even if it isn't being hailed as an all-time great it is getting positive reviews. I think Shazam has a much greater potential to be a flop, even though I think that it looks pretty groovy. But that could come and go with a whisper as it has a much smaller target audience being a more kid-friendly movie targeting families and young adults while the MU is a steamroller at this point.

22 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

You (and others) have taken HER words as a microaggression. She essentially has said exactly what you think she should’ve said, just not the way YOU think she should’ve said it. 

Broken down in its purest form, there really isn’t anything offensive or untrue about her statement. 

But then again, white males will protest a violent protest and say it should’ve been peaceful and a peaceful protest as it should’ve been worded differently. Anything to detract from the message. 

I'm not taking her words as microaggressions, I'm taking it as amusement that others are. I'm just stating the fact that the way she said it got people upset. If that weren't the case, nobody would be discussing it. Can you try looking at it from another perspective though? For example, if Sylvester Stallone were to make a similar statement if Rambo got bad reviews from women, saying he doesn't care about what 40 year old white chicks thought about Rambo because it wasn't meant for them, do you think people would find that statement offensive? If you're only willing to see things from one perspective, you're not getting the whole picture. I'm looking at both sides & see both points, so I simply put her statement into words that wouldn't have gotten people upset. Did that somehow offend you or detract from the message?

11 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

I'm not taking her words as microaggressions, I'm taking it as amusement that others are. I'm just stating the fact that the way she said it got people upset. If that weren't the case, nobody would be discussing it. Can you try looking at it from another perspective though? For example, if Sylvester Stallone were to make a similar statement if Rambo got bad reviews from women, saying he doesn't care about what 40 year old white chicks thought about Rambo because it wasn't meant for them, do you think people would find that statement offensive? If you're only willing to see things from one perspective, you're not getting the whole picture. I'm looking at both sides & see both points, so I simply put her statement into words that wouldn't have gotten people upset. Did that somehow offend you or detract from the message?

That’s a silly comparison because you’re thinking all things are equal  

Men don’t have to say it because for years the primary maker of movies were men and those movies were made for men and those movies were reviewed by men. 

They didn’t have to say it because the point was already in place. These movies are made for men. 

Count the pairs of breasts you’ve seen in a movie and compare it to the number of weiners. 

5 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

That’s a silly comparison because you’re thinking all things are equal  

Men don’t have to say it because for years the primary maker of movies were men and those movies were made for men and those movies were reviewed by men. 

They didn’t have to say it because the point was already in place. These movies are made for men. 

Count the pairs of breasts you’ve seen in a movie and compare it to the number of weiners. 

Are you implying men & women aren't equal? It's not a silly comparison, it's a realistic one. There may be many men that haven't treated women or other races equally, but don't bunch us all into the same group. We are not our ancestors, we should be judged by our own words & actions, not those that came before us.

9 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Are you implying men & women aren't equal? It's not a silly comparison, it's a realistic one. There may be many men that haven't treated women or other races equally, but don't bunch us all into the same group. We are not our ancestors, we should be judged by our own words & actions, not those that came before us.

Men and women are equal but do not have equal treatment historically, so you don';t have to be judged by the past but you should learn from it and understand the other point of view and why the playing feel should be leveled due to the inequalities suffered by those before us.

I'm not sure it matters if the film's front-loaded, particularly if it knocks its first weekend out of the park.

I'd have to do a full set of comparisons to be sure, but I think about a 3.0x first weekend multiplier for the total domestic cume is average.

Compare it to say...Jonah Hex (2.0x) on the low end to Aquaman (5.0x) on the high end.

For Marvel, Captain America did 2.71x and Thor did 2.78x so 2.75x is probably a more realistic standard, with anything above 3.0x considered really good.

If judging this purely on a "female superhero" film, Wonder Woman set the pace at 4.0x.

It's more about the first weekend, as 2.0x $130m gives a higher total result than 3.0x $85m, particularly because Disney gets a much higher % take of the first two weeks than they do weeks 3-12.

5 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'm not sure it matters if the film's front-loaded, particularly if it knocks its first weekend out of the park.

I'd have to do a full set of comparisons to be sure, but I think about a 3.0x first weekend multiplier for the total domestic cume is average.

Compare it to say...Jonah Hex (2.0x) on the low end to Aquaman (5.0x) on the high end.

For Marvel, Captain America did 2.71x and Thor did 2.78x so 2.75x is probably a more realistic standard, with anything above 3.0x considered really good.

If judging this purely on a "female superhero" film, Wonder Woman set the pace at 4.0x.

It's more about the first weekend, as 2.0x $130m gives a higher total result than 3.0x $85m, particularly because Disney gets a much higher % take of the first two weeks than they do weeks 3-12.

i did the average a couple of MCU movies ago and it was 2.7x, so $120-140MM gets you to $325-375MM. "stock" predicting $350MM.  seems like a good enough estimate

12 minutes ago, Bird said:

Men and women are equal but do not have equal treatment historically, so you don';t have to be judged by the past but you should learn from it and understand the other point of view and why the playing feel should be leveled due to the inequalities suffered by those before us.

I definitely agree with you, but leveling the playing field means all parties are treated equally, not that the roles should be reversed. Stating that women can say something that men can't because of historical treatment is just reversing the role, not leveling it. I believe in reincarnation, so we've all been every species, race & sex throughout time from my perspective.

10 minutes ago, paperheart said:

i did the average a couple of MCU movies ago and it was 2.7x, so $120-140MM gets you to $325-375MM. "stock" predicting $350MM.  seems like a good enough estimate

Thanks.