• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

I miss all the complaining about how this movie isn't using the far more revealing Ms. Marvel costume.  Why aren't more of you bickering about that now that the movie's about to come out?!?!  :taptaptap:

Ms.Marvel%20Carol%20Danvers%20Pvc%20Cosp

Edited by fantastic_four

11 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

So what's Marvel's plan if the public doesn't love CM like they did Iron Man?

She's their transition plan for the next phase. 

:boo:

There is a Reddit rumor that two versions of Endgame exist.  One more CM heavy the other reducing the role of CM. The critical, fan, and box office for this movie will determine which version will be released.  Read into that what you want, but if it is true, I would expect Marvel to rethink the next few films.  It may also be the reason that more phase 4 has not been released, and there is a planned 1 plus year hiatus of MCU movies following Endgame (or arguably Spider Man).

13 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I miss all the complaining about how this movie isn't using the far more revealing Ms. Marvel costume.  Why aren't more of you bickering about that now that the movie's about to come out?!?!  :taptaptap:

Sorry. What did you say?

:angel:

Why would they have been planning for a third-tier Marvel character to play such a major role in the film universe?  Danvers barely generated enough interest in the comics to keep her own title alive, so I don't know why they think she'd garner more popularity in the film universe.

25 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

That would be the Carol Danvers of my adolescence :x

6 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

That would be the Carol Danvers of my adolescence :x

Well there is that.  However, Carol Danvers from a comic perspective was a much better overall character when she wore that outfit.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

Replace her with Kamala Khan.  If that doesn't work replace Kamala Khan with Laura Kinney.  If Laura Kinney doesn't work replace her with (insert name of treasure trove of characters available after the merger).

If that all fails then bring on Secret Wars, wipe out the MCU and reboot(thumbsu.  Isn't that how all messes get fixedlol?

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Why would they have been planning for a third-tier Marvel character to play such a major role in the film universe?  Danvers barely generated enough interest in the comics to keep her own title alive, so I don't know why they think she'd garner more popularity in the film universe.

To be fair, Warlock's also a 3rd-tier character. I haven't checked, but I reckon Ms. Marvel's had more appearances/is a bigger character in the comics over the last 45 years than Adam Warlock at this point.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

If they really did make a back up Avengers End Game, the simplest solution would be having CM sacrifice herself against Thanos to save humanity. It would probably make people warm up to the character more at this point as well. Then they just need to introduce Adam Warlock, which should have really been the main focus in GOTG2, rather than Ego.

10 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

If they really did make a back up Avengers End Game, the simplest solution would be having CM sacrifice herself against Thanos to save humanity. It would probably make people warm up to the character more at this point as well. Then they just need to introduce Adam Warlock, which should have really been the main focus in GOTG2, rather than Ego.

The back up Endgame rumor (or possibly spoiler) is this........................

Spoiler

Instead of CM playing a major role in striking or possibly striking the final blow vs. Thanos, it is a combination of Captain America and Black Widow who take her place.  It is also rumored the "second" version diminishes CM role in general making her more of a side character rather then central to the plot. The rumor continues that these new scenes were done in recent re-shoots, and that Brie Larson was vocally unhappy with the changes.  These are all Reddit rumors take them with a grain of salt.

Edited by drotto

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

‘Captain Marvel’ To Thaw Winter Box Office Deep Freeze With $350M+ Global Warming

https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-box-office-opening-record-preview-1202569811/

This article is almost entirely a thought experiment in how the movie "could" make up to $350MM and less an analysis of actual tracking.  

Also, this number represents a worldwide release, including China.

Disney making a concerted effort to front-load this thing as much as possible.  

-J.

28 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

This article is almost entirely a thought experiment in how the movie "could" make up to $350MM and less an analysis of actual tracking.  

Also, this number represents a worldwide release, including China.

Disney making a concerted effort to front-load this thing as much as possible.  

-J.

Global = worldwide :idea:   I thought when the article says "global" in the title it was talking about other galaxies. #profitableat1.2BB :roflmao:

Edited by paperheart

8 hours ago, bane said:
Not true for me, massive Batman fan, not because of the comics but because of the 1989 Keaton movie. After that I got into the comics and became a fan of those.

But I liked anything Sci-Fi, Horror, Superhero & Movie game related, I used to rent the 80s Flash TV show and thought it was awesome!

So never knowing who Blade was I still went to see it.

Never read an X-Men comic but I still went to the cinema to see the first 2.

Being a fan growing up accounts for a percentage but I think if your a fan of the genre you weigh up if the trailer appeals. But with so much of it now on TV and in the cinema its reached a point where I treat it the same way as horror movies now... wait for them to arrive on a streaming platform I pay for.

I only saw Ant-Man & Wasp at the cinema as I was with friends and they wanted to watch it that afternoon, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Cheers.  And you made me watch that terrible Ready Player One movie.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:
3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

To be fair, Warlock's also a 3rd-tier character. I haven't checked, but I reckon Ms. Marvel's had more appearances/is a bigger character in the comics over the last 45 years than Adam Warlock at this point.

Definitely agree, but I don't see pinning any hopes whatsoever on either of those historical sales dogs.  ???

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Adam Warlock: 574 appearances across various series. Comicvine: Adam Warlock appearances

Carol Danvers: 3,446 appearances across various series. Comicvine: Carol Danvers appearances

That's a huge difference.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Adam Warlock: 574 appearances across various series. Comicvine: Adam Warlock appearances

Carol Danvers: 3,446 appearances across various series. Comicvine: Carol Danvers appearances

That's a huge difference.

Interesting. That's 900+ more appearances than Black Panther (currently at 2,535).

Call me crazy, but I don't get very excited about Adam Warlock and I'm not seeing how he would add much to the MCU -- at least, not in a pure hero / protagonist role.  I certainly don't see him as the kind of character that's going to get his own movie.  He could definitely work as an extremely powerful, vaguely well-intentioned, and misguided character that the GOTG team needs to deal with.  But trying to use him as a savior in the battle against Thanos -- especially when Captain Marvel is already set up to play that role -- seems like a bad idea.

In the comics, Warlock and his stories never made a ton of sense to me.  His motivation and moral center as a character were always a complete mess, subject to radical change at any time.  He wasn't fundamentally grounded in anything that made me understand why I should relate to him or root for him.  And his power and stature within the Marvel Universe never felt "earned" to me.  It was just like, "here's an incredibly powerful character we're just going to cram awkwardly into the universe, deal with it."  And that's in the comics.  If they suddenly try to introduce him in the Endgame movie, after the 10 years of movies that came before, that would be even worse.

Compare Warlock against another cosmic character of alien origin, the Silver Surfer, who had a really clear origin story, motivation, and pathos that the reader could latch onto -- and who, while possessing incredible power, wasn't constantly trying on omnipotence like Warlock.  That's probably the thing that bothers me most about Warlock -- the number of times we saw him take on universe-altering levels of power but never really do anything memorable with it.

I'm sure there will be those who disagree -- be gentle, I come in peace.  :foryou: