• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, chezmtghut said:

Are you implying men & women aren't equal?

Are you implying they ARE?

It's not a silly comparison, it's a realistic one.

It is? A young man who grew up in the slums of East St. Louis has the same perspectives on life as a man who grew up in the luxury of the Upper East Side of New York, because they're both...men?

There may be many men that haven't treated women or other races equally, but don't bunch us all into the same group.

Who's bunching anyone into any group? She was talking about a movie that was a love letter written to women of color. Who among the men belong to that group?

We are not our ancestors, we should be judged by our own words & actions, not those that came before us.

Oh, believe me, I'm judging.

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

And down to 65 on metacritic.

That RT score is a bit of a joke.

-J.

The more accurate average review score on RT is a 6.99. That seems to be in line with Metacritic.

25 minutes ago, drotto said:

The more accurate average review score on RT is a 6.99. That seems to be in line with Metacritic.

rocket scientists above don't seem to understand how RT works.  Here's a primer: when 29 out of 100 critics give the movie a "positive" review, the RT score is 29 and the movie is the laughing stock of the critical community.

Edited by paperheart

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

Are you implying they ARE?

1-It is? A young man who grew up in the slums of East St. Louis has the same perspectives on life as a man who grew up in the luxury of the Upper East Side of New York, because they're both...men?

2-Who's bunching anyone into any group?

3-She was talking about a movie that was a love letter written to women of color. Who among the men belong to that group?

Oh, believe me, I'm judging.

1-How would any of that relate to the statements made by Brie vs. the hypothetical statement of Sylvester I posed? I've even reversed the sex & movie genre for the comparison.

2-You were bunching me in a group by saying I took Brie's words as a microaggression & implying that I was part of a white male group violently protesting against her. I clearly said that I have nothing against Brie.

3-That's like saying who among women belong in the group of men Rambo was made for! I'm just reversing the role, so if you think one is offensive, why can't you understand that others might feel the same about Brie's comments?

Everyone has the right to judge for themselves. Like I said previously, I have nothing against Brie & find the whole thing oddly amusing. I'm personally against all of the negative trolling surrounding her. Seems like you're just arguing for the sake of argument though.

You can consider me defeated if it makes you feel better.

21 minutes ago, paperheart said:

rocket scientists above don't seem to understand how RT works.  Here's a primer: when 29 out of 100 critics give the movie a "positive" review, the RT score is 29 and the movie is the laughing stock of the critical community.

Harsh, man. Lotta' venom in that there response...

59 minutes ago, paperheart said:

No, RT actually gives two scores the Tomatometer is based simply on a percentage of generally good reviews vs. all reviews.  There is a second score buried slightly deeper and is called the Average Rating score. That Average Rating score is based on a 10 point scale.  Metacritic uses a 100 point scale.  As it stands right now the Tomatometer  is 84%, the Average Rating score is 6.94, and Metacritic (yes a different site) is 65. The most up front simplest metric RT gives (the Tomatometer) is the one that gets the press, the actually somewhat more accurate (the Average Rating) for CM is in fairly good alignment with Metacritic.

I 100% understand how it works.

Edited by drotto

32 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

1-How would any of that relate to the statements made by Brie vs. the hypothetical statement of Sylvester I posed? I've even reversed the sex & movie genre for the comparison.

You don't understand. You believe men and women are equal. I can't really explain it to you in terms you can understand if that's where you're starting from. You even said: ("We've all experienced the same discrimination in one life or another.") That's...pretty scary...

2-You were bunching me in a group by saying I took Brie's words as a microaggression & implying that I was part of a white male group violently protesting against her. I clearly said that I have nothing against Brie.

You judged her opinion. You decided she was wrong for voicing it the way she did.

(She could have said "I would like to see more reviews on films like A Wrinkle in Time from women of color, since it was meant as a love letter to women of color", without any backlash.)

3-That's like saying who among women belong in the group of men Rambo was made for! I'm just reversing the role, so if you think one is offensive, why can't you understand that others might feel the same about Brie's comments?

Uh... you may remember a guy named Mel Gibson who kind of went off on the Jewish people in a drunken rant a number of years ago. Now THAT'S offensive. Strangely enough, it didn't warrant a group of nerds trolling the Rotten Tomatoes scores of his movies though. That only happens to women and minorities. Equality?

Everyone has the right to judge for themselves.

And I am.

Like I said previously, I have nothing against Brie & find the whole thing oddly amusing.

You believe she should have stated her 'opinion' differently to dispel the negativity. She spoke out against what she felt was an injustice and you feel SHE is the protagonist. Sorry, I would not consider you someone who has 'nothing against her'.

I'm personally against all of the negative trolling surrounding her.

Then why support it?

Seems like you're just arguing for the sake of argument though.

Just because you fail to grasp a concept, doesn't mean it isn't valid. And if you think that's a 'dig', it's not. Telling someone 'Seems like you're just arguing for the sake of argument though' IS.

You can consider me defeated if it makes you feel better.

I'd rather you learn some critical reasoning skills than to quit or lose.

20 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

You don't understand. You believe men and women are equal. I can't really explain it to you in terms you can understand if that's where you're starting from. You even said: ("We've all experienced the same discrimination in one life or another.") That's...pretty scary...

You judged her opinion. You decided she was wrong for voicing it the way she did.

(She could have said "I would like to see more reviews on films like A Wrinkle in Time from women of color, since it was meant as a love letter to women of color", without any backlash.)

Uh... you may remember a guy named Mel Gibson who kind of went off on the Jewish people in a drunken rant a number of years ago. Now THAT'S offensive. Strangely enough, it didn't warrant a group of nerds trolling the Rotten Tomatoes scores of his movies though. That only happens to women and minorities. Equality?

And I am.

You believe she should have stated her 'opinion' differently to dispel the negativity. She spoke out against what she felt was an injustice and you feel SHE is the protagonist. Sorry, I would not consider you someone who has 'nothing against her'.

Then why support it?

Just because you fail to grasp a concept, doesn't mean it isn't valid. And if you think that's a 'dig', it's not. Telling someone 'Seems like you're just arguing for the sake of argument though' IS.

I'd rather you learn some critical reasoning skills than to quit or lose.

You can continue arguing if you want. I'm fine letting this go. You defeated me.

Edited by chezmtghut

52 minutes ago, drotto said:

No, RT actually gives two scores the Tomatometer is based simply on a percentage of generally good reviews vs. all reviews.  There is a second score buried slightly deeper and is called the Average Rating score. That Average Rating score is based on a 10 point scale.  Metacritic uses a 100 point scale.  As it stands right now the Tomatometer  is 84%, the Average Rating score is 6.94, and Metacritic (yes a different site) is 65. The most up front simplest metric RT gives (the Tomatometer) is the one that gets the press, the actually somewhat more accurate (the Average Rating) for CM is in fairly good alignment with Metacritic.

I 100% understand how it works.

didn't mean to imply you didn't, it was the post above that said the RT 85 was "a bit of a joke"- the math is the math: positive reviews/total reviews.  and yes, the Metacritic score is much more meaningful if you're trying to determine how "good" the critics think the movie is.

1 minute ago, paperheart said:

didn't mean to imply you didn't, it was the post above that said the RT 85 was "a bit of a joke"- the math is the math: positive reviews/total reviews.  and yes, the Metacritic score is much more meaningful if you're trying to determine how "good" the critics think the movie is.

Excepted, and thank you. Now can we just watch the other forum fireworks?  :foryou:

4 hours ago, Bird said:

I am taking the national licensure exam for Psychology later this month and have been studying up. One area is privilege/discrimination. There are 9 areas of privilege identified (Age, Disability, Religion, Ethnicity, SES, Sexual Identity, Non-Indigenous person, residing in native country, and gender) and I have all of them! I tease the coven (wifey and my two daughters) that I hold all the cards! You cannot beat me, I win before the game even starts!

But basically you don't get to complain if you hold all the good cards. You have to listen and try to understand that others want to play the game as well despite being dealt a lesser hand. Or put another way, try to step outside yourself and have some empathy.

Perhaps I use Simpson's quotes too often, but there's just too dang many...

9 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Same here.  I don't expect it to be my favorite MCU movie of all time, but I expect to enjoy it a ton.  It's an appetizer for the main course next month.  (thumbsu

yeah, I can't wait for that Avengers movie