• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, drotto said:

The comment I saw that worries me the most about Endgame not CM is from Grace Randolph.  She gave the movie a mixed, but positive review, at the same time saying that Captian Marvel has some Rey like Mary Sue qualities.

Grace Randolph is the most moronic reviewer in the history of media. Total click-bait whore, who says whatever controversial thing she can to get d*mb-a**es to her youtube page to make money off of. Yellow journalism at it's finest with no credibility whatsoever.

8 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I miss all the complaining about how this movie isn't using the far more revealing Ms. Marvel costume.  Why aren't more of you bickering about that now that the movie's about to come out?!?!  :taptaptap:

Ms.Marvel%20Carol%20Danvers%20Pvc%20Cosp

Captain Camel Toe?

7 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

And his power and stature within the Marvel Universe never felt "earned" to me.  It was just like, "here's an incredibly powerful character we're just going to cram awkwardly into the universe, deal with it."  And that's in the comics.  If they suddenly try to introduce him in the Endgame movie, after the 10 years of movies that came before, that would be even worse.

So pretty much exactly what they are doing in the movies with Captain Marvel.

My biggest issue with this Captain Marvel character in the MCU is we have 10 years of movie history and now at the eleventh hour "the most powerful hero in the world" is just dropped on us.  I hated that in the comics (for example when the Sentry character was introduced in the New Avengers), and I hate that in these upcoming movies.  

Screen Junkies has been strongly MCU. But with this film, they feel the MCU over-burdened this film to be Iron Man 2.0 for the new series of films. That comparison to Jason Bourne with a character that isn't clear on their origin, but the audience is still able to follow the slow discovery over time is interesting.

Edited by Bosco685

What seems to have gone over very positive is the soundtrack, Talos (lead Skrull), Yon-Rogg, Nick Fury, Phil Coulson and the Skrulls in general.

And early reviewers are saying there are two credit scene (one mid-credit, one post-credit). Supposedly they are well worth seeing prior to Endgame.

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

My biggest issue with this Captain Marvel character in the MCU is we have 10 years of movie history and now at the eleventh hour "the most powerful hero in the world" is just dropped on us.  I hated that in the comics (for example when the Sentry character was introduced in the New Avengers), and I hate that in these upcoming movies.  

It's really funny that you mention the Sentry.  The Sentry is, to me, the all-time worst character I've ever seen and among the worst retcon jobs in history as well.  If that doofus ever lands in the MCU I'll be shaking my head.

I came really close to mentioning Sentry in my previous post but I didn't want to get even more people riled up.  There seem to actually be people out there who like this character and (no offense) I will never understand them.

Once again ... :foryou: :shy:

I think people are missing the point.

The Avengers were a team made up of mainly humans to protect earth from threats too great for the planet to deal with. Those in charge didn't WANT to put these super powered beings together. But then these threats kept putting the earth in jeopardy, and they kept saving it, until finally someone came along that even with every hero on earth teaming up - they couldn't stop it.

But Nick Fury had a back up, as his type of character is known to do and he calls an old acquaintance - someone far too powerful to be hanging around the earth on her day to day...

Who’s he supposed to call? Quicksilver? Daredevil? Power Pack?

No, he calls one of the most powerful beings he knows. He calls a heavy hitter.

THAT is the story. Sometimes the good guys CAN’T work it out.

This isn’t Independence Day Part 3 where once again HUMANS are able to somehow decipher advanced alien technology and beat a superior race just because… well gosh darn it, we’re HUMANS! We ALWAYS prevail!

THAT is the story I tire of.

I’m all for a NEW character, someone to come in and shake things up. THESE earth heroes have been through A LOT. They’ve given us everything they can. And now… a new team member is about to give them just the added oomph they need.

So here… is the story of how Nick Fury knew her.

Why’s that so hard to understand?

I mean I get it… some of you can’t stand the idea of a female superhero, unless she’s a sexy vamp or submissive to some degree… in the real world you’re maybe afraid of women, distrustful of women, been rejected by women, listen to talk radio that tells you that Hollywood is trying to turn you INTO a woman and pervert your mind, make you less manly… I got news for you - most of you are already less manly. You’re on a CGC Forum. Relax. It’s just a movie.

If you have that much fear of it… don’t see it. It’s just going to upset you. You’ve been warned: this is a female who can actually beat up male characters. Don’t subject yourself to this. Go to youtube or wherever you view these things and type in ‘professional wrestling’. See all of the men, with steroid rippled muscles, in their tight spandex, clinging to every inch of their body, oiled up and ready for action? That’s better, right? As they grapple each other and grunt and rumble… the storylines are more to your ‘liking’, right?

See? There’s something for everyone.

I agree with you, Chuck but take a somewhat different tack.

I think the majority of these boards are made up of guys in the 40s or early 50s, and they have a hard time wrapping their heads around major Hollywood productions of 3rd-tier characters that they weren't reading or actively collecting back in the 80s or 90s.

An old-school comic nerd would never believe a Black Panther or Ms. Marvel movie could be a legit blockbuster worthy of a $200M budget (let alone transform into A-list superhero characters) not because of any PC or feminist stuff, but simply because no one was clamoring for FF # 52 or Marvel Superheroes # 13 or breathlessly waiting for the next Black Panther appearance when they were collecting as kids.

You can say the same for Ant-Man, who was arguably a bigger and more well-regarded character - but still C-list.

I also suspect there's some frustration among folks who bet big on early Warlock appearances because those of us who grew up in the early 90s knew he was the lynchpin not only to the Infinity Gauntlet story but to Thanos's entire arc as a character...only to see him (presumably) entirely absent from the films and (also presumbably) replaced by Ms. Marvel.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this film -- both in terms of audience and box office reception.

Tracking is pointing to a $130M+ domestic debut -- about in line with Iron Man 2 / Suicide Squad and well above Guardians of the Galaxy, Wonder Woman and The Winter Soldier.

Even funnier? That Captain Marvel's opening weekend may eclipse Green Lantern's entire domestic total.

We'll see...

The days of new movies being reviewed by knowledgeable film scholars is long gone. I'm not a fan of these newer young 'critics', who are more apt at explaining the intricacies of Jay and Silent Bob than Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, so I went and found some reviews from people who I can trust and respect. Here is what I found.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/mar/05/captain-marvel-review-brie-larson-samuel-l-jackson

https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/captain-marvel-review-brie-larson-samuel-l-jackson-1203154542/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/movies/captain-marvel-review.html

though I read Peter Travers with a grain of salt, I DO read it...

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-reviews/captain-marvel-movie-review-brie-larson-802831/

Still waiting on a review from Sight and Sound Magazine 

11 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I agree with you, Chuck but take a somewhat different tack.

I think the majority of these boards are made up of guys in the 40s or early 50s, and they have a hard time wrapping their heads around major Hollywood productions of 3rd-tier characters that they weren't reading or actively collecting back in the 80s or 90s.

An old-school comic nerd would never believe a Black Panther or Ms. Marvel movie could be a legit blockbuster worthy of a $200M budget (let alone transform into A-list superhero characters) not because of any PC or feminist stuff, but simply because no one was clamoring for FF # 52 or Marvel Superheroes # 13 or breathlessly waiting for the next Black Panther appearance when they were collecting as kids.

You can say the same for Ant-Man, who was arguably a bigger and more well-regarded character - but still C-list.

I also suspect there's some frustration among folks who bet big on early Warlock appearances because those of us who grew up in the early 90s knew he was the lynchpin not only to the Infinity Gauntlet story but to Thanos's entire arc as a character...only to see him (presumably) entirely absent from the films and (also presumbably) replaced by Ms. Marvel.

I agree with everything you say here, and my little rant certainly wasn't directed at any of those people in particular. Just at those who dislike it because she's a woman (and otherwise try to pretend that ISN'T the reason)

11 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with this film -- both in terms of audience and box office reception.

Tracking is pointing to a $130M+ domestic debut -- about in line with Iron Man 2 / Suicide Squad and well above Guardians of the Galaxy, Wonder Woman and The Winter Soldier.

Even funnier? That Captain Marvel's opening weekend may eclipse Green Lantern's entire domestic total.

We'll see...

I'm going to the earliest show I can!

40 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I think people are missing the point.

The Avengers were a team made up of mainly humans to protect earth from threats too great for the planet to deal with. Those in charge didn't WANT to put these super powered beings together. But then these threats kept putting the earth in jeopardy, and they kept saving it, until finally someone came along that even with every hero on earth teaming up - they couldn't stop it.

But Nick Fury had a back up, as his type of character is known to do and he calls an old acquaintance - someone far too powerful to be hanging around the earth on her day to day...

Who’s he supposed to call? Quicksilver? Daredevil? Power Pack?

No, he calls one of the most powerful beings he knows. He calls a heavy hitter.

THAT is the story. Sometimes the good guys CAN’T work it out.

This isn’t Independence Day Part 3 where once again HUMANS are able to somehow decipher advanced alien technology and beat a superior race just because… well gosh darn it, we’re HUMANS! We ALWAYS prevail!

THAT is the story I tire of.

I’m all for a NEW character, someone to come in and shake things up. THESE earth heroes have been through A LOT. They’ve given us everything they can. And now… a new team member is about to give them just the added oomph they need.

So here… is the story of how Nick Fury knew her.

Why’s that so hard to understand?

I mean I get it… some of you can’t stand the idea of a female superhero, unless she’s a sexy vamp or submissive to some degree… in the real world you’re maybe afraid of women, distrustful of women, been rejected by women, listen to talk radio that tells you that Hollywood is trying to turn you INTO a woman and pervert your mind, make you less manly… I got news for you - most of you are already less manly. You’re on a CGC Forum. Relax. It’s just a movie.

If you have that much fear of it… don’t see it. It’s just going to upset you. You’ve been warned: this is a female who can actually beat up male characters. Don’t subject yourself to this. Go to youtube or wherever you view these things and type in ‘professional wrestling’. See all of the men, with steroid rippled muscles, in their tight spandex, clinging to every inch of their body, oiled up and ready for action? That’s better, right? As they grapple each other and grunt and rumble… the storylines are more to your ‘liking’, right?

See? There’s something for everyone.

Very much enjoyed this rant.  The only bone I have to pick is that I'm a massive Thor fan and would like to point out that the original six Avengers already have someone on their roster who's not from Earth, but has strong bonds and affection toward Earth, and is massively superpowered.

I have no problem with girls beating up guys, I just have a problem with Thor taking a back seat to anyone -- Captain Marvel, Hulk, whoever.

</fanboy>

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

18 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

We'll see...

What is your fixation with some of these movies that you seem to always go back to them?

'...will exceed Justice League'

'...may eclipse Green Lantern...'

Comparing any new movies with films that bombed is an approach. How about comparing to films that excelled?

6 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Very much enjoyed this rant.  The only bone I have to pick is that I'm a massive Thor fan and would like to point out that the original six Avengers already have someone on their roster who's not from Earth, but has strong bonds and affection toward Earth, and is massively superpowered.

And he did pretty well against Thanos, just not well enough, so in that moment it makes sense that Fury would call in the even bigger gun.

infinity-war-thor-vs-thanos-004.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

3 hours ago, media_junkie said:

If you really look at what these Marvel movies do, they're always setting up for the future, for the next movie. It makes sense then, that in Endgame, while the past Avengers will be the main focus (particularly I think the current leaders in Tony Stark and Steve Rogers), it's important they also include the future leadership in Carol Danvers. As Endgame will be an ending of sorts for this chapter of Avengers, it's important to have that past and future coming together. One or both of the Iron Man Cap duo is going away, but at the end, we'll have seen the future in Carol's character. The filmmakers will ensure, contrary to fanboy fears, that Endgame is not the Captain Marvel show, but an Avengers movie. 

10 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

And he did pretty well against Thanos, just not well enough, so in that moment it makes sense that Fury would call in the even bigger gun.

infinity-war-thor-vs-thanos-004.jpg

My theater went nuts when this scene came up. The general audience appreciates this character so much now.

But to find out there is a more powerful hero, this is going to blow their minds.

I can't really get behind the idea of Captain Marvel being "just dropped on us" when the character has been around for half a century.  Given that Marvel has a stable of hundreds of viable characters, most of them will be "just dropped" into the films at some point.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

My theater went nuts when this scene came up. The general audience appreciates this character so much now.

I was far more impressed when he dropped into the Wakanda battlefield and was lighting up everything in sight.  One of the highlights of the film.