• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

Romita did full pencils on 39-56, 64 & 65, 67, 74 & 75, 82 & 83, 86-88, 93-95, 106-119.

Co-pencilled with Don Heck 57-63 & 66.

Co-pencilled with Jim Mooney 68-71.

Co-pencilled with John Buscema 72 & 73, 84 & 85,

John Buscema pencilled 76-81.

Gil Kane pencilled 89-92, 96 & 97 w/ Romita inks.

Kane pencilled 98-105, 120-122.

edit: :preach:

I think Romita penciled 68-71.. I really don't see Mooney in those issues. Don't know why the credits are the way they are.

good call !

Pulled out the ol' longbox, and credits say John Romita - storyboards, Jim Mooney - illustrator (& for issues 70-71 credits Romita as "innovator" & Mooney as illustrator), so yeah, I'd say Romita did layouts to some degree & Mooney finished the pencils & inked.

I guess(?)

speaking of the SECONDARY ART MARKET people are talking about.......

If Romita is only great because he drew SPIDERMAN (as a few people are saying) then why do I get more requests for art pages with MARY JANE and GWEN on them than I do for Spiderman action pages? AND these "GIRL" pages are similar in value....( slightly lower in value..but close.....even at auction)

here is a pretty good question for the list............

PLEASE tell me "1" Pen and ink super hero COMIC BOOK artist who can say that their "character" pages are as sought after by collectors as their hero battle pages? just one!

Romita made AMAZING SPIDERMAN into the greatest soap opera in comics and its because he draws woman so beautifully in pen and ink.......

maybe i'm forgetting another artist or 2 but I can not think of any artist and any title from the silver or bronze age that can say this. again if I forgot something then I will stand corrected.

also...... Dave Stevens of frank Frazetta to me are amazing...but......neither of them drew super heroes (unless you count Rocketeer) and Dave Stevens created a very very small amount of pen and ink super hero work in his career and frank Frazetta is a god but there is not alot of his pen and ink COMIC BOOK work out there as he of course is known mostly for his amazing paintings and women...but he never drew superhero comics really.

so in summary..my question to the list is....how many comic book artists out there do they know where an artists CHARACTER pages are as sought after as their superhero action pages?

I can only think of one............JOHN ROMITA!

and again... we obviously can all agree to disagree on such a subjective subject as what we are talking about...

if someone thinks Romita ASM art sucks...it doesn't bother me a bit.........but I'll always make my points why I feel the other guy is mistaken.

and I gotta say.......I actually got made fun of by many of the dealers and higher end collectors in our hobby when i first started collecting.....when they found out in 1989-90 that I was the guy collecting ROMITA Spiderman art.... lol

Mike

This is an interesting one - it is only the young ladies that make this true - not Aunt May, right?

Not sure what other title had such attractive supporting non-superhero cast...you mentioned Dave Stevens but, of course, much smaller body of work.

I'm drawing a blank...

So bummed that I missed the Boris portion of this debate! :sorry:

Seems to me that if we just define our terms there would be a bit more agreement (though not total).

I propose that A-List should mean the same as Blue Chip: high sale value with an assumption that the investment is fairly safe in the medium term at least. So Romita is A-list. Artistic quality is not at issue for this term.

Top tier should refer to the quality of greatness: influence, innovation, genius, etc. Market value is not at issue here. Is Romita Top Tier? Mike B. makes a great case for him, but I'm not sold. Smooth flow with pretty girls? Hell, Caniff taught everyone that. I don't discount it, but it's not enough. Romita himself knew he wasn't a patch on Ditko's originality. Romita was reliable. He consolidated the brand. Ditko could blow you away, on a regular basis. Nothing by Romita is even in the same ballpark as ASM 31-33. Ditko was amazing through the end of the sixties, at Marvel, Warren, DC, and Charlton. HIs self-published work is still worth reading today.

If we're limiting ourselves to SA superhero artists, then my Top Tier (don't care about A-List) is Kirby, Ditko, Adams, maybe Wood. Second Tier, highly original and influential but not quite as dominant or convincing as First Tier, would be Colan, Steranko, Infantino, Kubert, John Buscema, maybe Kane. Third Tier includes Romita, Swan, Anderson, Heck, maybe Sekowsky.

Note on John Buscema: he was only great for about three years, but those three years were at the end of the Silver Age, so he makes the Second Tier. In the Bronze Age he joins Romita in Tier 3.

And oh, by the way, what's the deal with this Romita-drew-great-women common wisdom anyway? His women are certainly cuter than Ditko's, but they have little character. They are one step up from Betty & Veronica. First draft list of artists who drew hotter women than Romita: Cole! Frazetta! Caniff! Toth! Kirby (yeah, I said Kirby)! Corben! Bode! Jones! Wrightson! Kaluta! Everett! Kubert! John Buscema! Brunner! Barry Smith! Stevens! Hollingsworth! Baker! Moebius! Colan!

Romita is credited as "breakdowns" on some ASM issues in the 60s and 70s.... and i asked john at length about this and showed him the originals to get clarification......... according to him.. his BREAKDOWNS are full pencils. (for asm 65, 67-75)

according to john and with my own eye..i concur those are romita fully penciled issues.

he said he penciled his pages fully but he "may not have detailed a finger nail or an eye lash" was his quote back to me."

he said he knows he got paid for full pencils ndhe never rea;lized the story credits were written as such.

Also as a side note which many collectors dont know.....John Romita should actually get some inking credits on ASM 96-98 as he said he tightened up main figures on some pages after they were gotten back from Gil Kane and Frank Giacoia from the drug trilogy....

and also..........on asm 116-118 romita penciled and inked a fair amount of NEW pages in 1973 that were added to ASM 116-118 to make the story run properly when it was cut up and re-used from 1968's spectacular Spider-man #1

Mike

It's too bad that this entire debate/thread is in a thread titled "August Heritage Auction".

Better than being in "The Official Boris Appreciation Thread". :insane:

To think someone said he was not a good artist:

After the departure of Jack Kirby from Marvel in 1970, John Buscema became one of the company’s most influential artists. Buscema is perhaps most celebrated for his Bronze Age work on the Avengers, the Silver Surfer, and Conan the Barbarian. Buscema’s work proved so in-demand in the mid-seventies, he launched the John Buscema Art School which advertised for students in the pages of many Marvel titles. Stan Lee made appearances as a guest lecturer at Buscema's school and the two collaborated on the wildly popular book How to Draw Comics The Marvel Way, Simon and Schuster, 1978 . Comic Art

It's too bad that this entire debate/thread is in a thread titled "August Heritage Auction".

Better than being in "The Official Boris Appreciation Thread". :insane:

He's a good artist too. Why is it OK to bag on Boris (who has some good work but has some flaws) and not OK to bag on Romita (who has some good work and has some flaws?). Because one worked on spiderman ? :eyeroll:

I think if people are honest with themselves they simply judge a lot of the work according to where it was published.

For collecting purposes I understand that, but the discussion need not be limited to that either.

That being said, I get good natured jabs at Boris, they are deserved and fun :insane: but he did some lovely work too.

To think someone said he was not a good artist:

After the departure of Jack Kirby from Marvel in 1970, John Buscema became one of the company’s most influential artists. Buscema is perhaps most celebrated for his Bronze Age work on the Avengers, the Silver Surfer, and Conan the Barbarian. Buscema’s work proved so in-demand in the mid-seventies, he launched the John Buscema Art School which advertised for students in the pages of many Marvel titles. Stan Lee made appearances as a guest lecturer at Buscema's school and the two collaborated on the wildly popular book How to Draw Comics The Marvel Way, Simon and Schuster, 1978 . Comic Art

The fact that he started an art school made him great? I guess Joe Kubert is the #1 artist of all time then. (He is pretty awesome if you ask me :) )

Buscema had his moments for sure. That SS13 cover is very nice, the top 2/3 of the cover in particular. I'm not as crazy about the foreground, but the surfer figure/ bldgs/ crowd are beautifully done.

Why is it OK to bag on Boris (who has some good work but has some flaws) and not OK to bag on Romita (who has some good work and has some flaws?). Because one worked on spiderman ? :eyeroll:

No, because this:

163217.jpg.d9e5a1f6ca6b6861387b57bd4dbe93fe.jpg

163218.jpg.56493a5e0f6c57b3605c034fb76178dc.jpg

163219.jpg.77c72fcc5ce001f8a5ecae943996f912.jpg

^ I used to find those body types ridiculous too until I started working out. Now I want to look like that :insane:

16l2c9.jpg