• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

You could have it photoshopped with you riding the fish behind her and have it mounted on the wall at home...like White Goodman did.

If I did that, you could start the countdown to divorce proceedings...3...2...1...

Then the only choice is to buy a 70's conversion van and have that image painted on the side.

"If this fish is flyin', Don't come by a-spyin' "

Oh boy, Chris, let me tell you one thing, if the fish is a flyin', the cops are certainly a comin'.

Though if anyone does go forward with the van idea, I suggest making it a lenticular.

lol Golden!!!!!

I remember that the original, non-white-goodman'd, version of this painted sold in the last few years for an amount low enough that I would have gladly bought it for nothing more than it's presence in Dodgeball.

Yeah, pissed that I missed it. The master level conversation piece possibilities alone made it worth the price of admission.

well since you struck out on the bull painting, maybe you can keep an eye out for a nice unicorn to grab by the horn and hang above the fireplace

101016.jpg

Or

"If this tuna is airborne, Gene's givin' someone the 'bighorn'."

Something like that.

If the Tuna is airborne...just leads me to believe Maryjane Rotten Crotch is the one getting banged.

2Pts+ for the FMJ reference.

Knock Boris all ya want, but if you skip the figures on most pre-1990s paintings...the background work especially organic stuffs is extraordinary, trumps Ken Kelly all day long and maybe Frazetta at times too (though this would be a healthy debate for sure, and I'm on the fence myself). And we should never forget that the published work...once the editors typecast you for style...all they ever want is "just like that last one you did". But his personal work...yes, well, um...I can't excuse it ;)

Back to lurking, personal life very busy right now, carry on!

Kelly, yeah.

Frazetta ... hm

I enjoyed Boris' early work on the Marvel monster mags and such; his later stuff - not my cup of tea (putting it nicely).

In retrospect $40k for the Surfer 1 cover is a steal, but at the time of the auction it was the most expensive piece to sell....going for more than 4 times what the next closest piece sold (Cap 108 Kirby cover).

It also sold for more than TEN times what each of two Swan/Anderson Superman covers sold.

So it seems anyone who bought anything from that auction got a steal, but none of them felt it at the time. lol

$95k
:wishluck:

U a potential buyer ? or the seller ?

I've never sold a piece of art, only collect silver surfer pieces...and I don't have a cover in my collection (at least not from original series)