• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

Why is it OK to bag on Boris (who has some good work but has some flaws) and not OK to bag on Romita (who has some good work and has some flaws?). Because one worked on spiderman ? :eyeroll:

No, because this:

OMG, Ridley Scott is a total Boris fan. The opening scene of Prometheus is clearly an homage to that first painting,

Why is it OK to bag on Boris (who has some good work but has some flaws) and not OK to bag on Romita (who has some good work and has some flaws?). Because one worked on spiderman ? :eyeroll:

No, because this:

Well-oiled, hairless bodies.

What's not to love? :grin:

:eyeroll:

After the departure of Jack Kirby from Marvel in 1970, John Buscema became one of the company’s most influential artists. Buscema is perhaps most celebrated for his Bronze Age work on the Avengers, the Silver Surfer, and Conan the Barbarian. Buscema’s work proved so in-demand in the mid-seventies, he launched the John Buscema Art School which advertised for students in the pages of many Marvel titles. Stan Lee made appearances as a guest lecturer at Buscema's school and the two collaborated on the wildly popular book How to Draw Comics The Marvel Way, Simon and Schuster, 1978 . Comic Art

Exactly. Buscema represented the safe, middle of the road, house style that was indeed "The Marvel Way" in the 1970s.

To think someone said he was not a good artist:

After the departure of Jack Kirby from Marvel in 1970, John Buscema became one of the company’s most influential artists. Buscema is perhaps most celebrated for his Bronze Age work on the Avengers, the Silver Surfer, and Conan the Barbarian. Buscema’s work proved so in-demand in the mid-seventies, he launched the John Buscema Art School which advertised for students in the pages of many Marvel titles. Stan Lee made appearances as a guest lecturer at Buscema's school and the two collaborated on the wildly popular book How to Draw Comics The Marvel Way, Simon and Schuster, 1978 . Comic Art

The fact that he started an art school made him great? I guess Joe Kubert is the #1 artist of all time then. (He is pretty awesome if you ask me :) )

Buscema had his moments for sure. That SS13 cover is very nice, the top 2/3 of the cover in particular. I'm not as crazy about the foreground, but the surfer figure/ bldgs/ crowd are beautifully done.

No but he was one of the most influential and sought after artists working for the top company in his industry. His work speaks for itself but the loyal DC crowd likes to poo poo him.

To think someone said he was not a good artist:

The fact that he started an art school made him great? I guess Joe Kubert is the #1 artist of all time then. (He is pretty awesome if you ask me :) )

Buscema had his moments for sure. That SS13 cover is very nice, the top 2/3 of the cover in particular. I'm not as crazy about the foreground, but the surfer figure/ bldgs/ crowd are beautifully done.

No but he was one of the most influential and sought after artists working for the top company in his industry. His work speaks for itself but the loyal DC crowd likes to poo poo him.

Lots of people in the world love plain old vanilla ice cream. There's nothing wrong with that.

They just shouldn't get irritated when someone points out that what they're eating is vanilla and not some more exotic flavor.

Knock Boris all ya want, but if you skip the figures on most pre-1990s paintings...the background work especially organic stuffs is extraordinary, trumps Ken Kelly all day long and maybe Frazetta at times too (though this would be a healthy debate for sure, and I'm on the fence myself). And we should never forget that the published work...once the editors typecast you for style...all they ever want is "just like that last one you did". But his personal work...yes, well, um...I can't excuse it ;)

Back to lurking, personal life very busy right now, carry on!

I don't have to think it's good art to actually respect aspects of the work.

Really, anyone willing to parody his own style is a-OK in my book. It's so meta. It's more or less spoofing a style, by the originating artist. That's rad.

aqua-teen-hunger-force-colon-movie-film.jpg

I still see unintended hilarity in so much of his body if work (no pun intended), and I do not think it good at all, but it doesn't diminish certain skill sets. Those can't be denied.

A certain level of taste........ perhaps. ;)

Sorry to make the total thread derail continue.

Maybe I should start a new thread?

"What is Boris for, and Taking Risks"

"Contracting Boris?"

"Art Behind Baby Oil: Show your framed Boris"

Knock Boris all ya want, but if you skip the figures on most pre-1990s paintings...the background work especially organic stuffs is extraordinary, trumps Ken Kelly all day long and maybe Frazetta at times too (though this would be a healthy debate for sure, and I'm on the fence myself).

I am generally a fan of Boris' work from 1982 and earlier. I mean, Savage Sword of Conan #7 is a GREAT cover, for example. All of the Red Sonja paperback paintings (of which I own one) are beautiful.

Once examples like those posted above started to predominate by the mid-'80s though... :eek:

I think when you get away from his "bread and butter" work of mostly nekkid oily folks and start seeing the other work he can turn you, it tells a different story. He it seems truly can be a very good artist, capable of good expression and design. He just gets paid to turn out schlocky stuff so thats what he produces. When you ask him to be creative/different, it seems he is very capable of that too.

boris_vallejo_catinthemirror.jpg

and if you want that kinda standard package boris work, he can also add some nice detail and creativity if allowed.

91863_szklana_para_boris_vallejo.jpg

Full disclosure, I dont think ive ever owned more than a single drawing by the man. Im not really a fan of his work, but its clear to me he (when he wants to be) can be a pretty great artist.

I don't think anyone is going to question that Boris is a talented artist, it's just that his work post mid 80's starts getting very....um...different?

He has done some fantastic work, but man o man, that painting of the woman on top of the fish is just such a laughable piece. It's a headscratcher to me on how something like that is either commissioned by someone or his new pursuit in his artistic career. (shrug)

I think when you get away from his "bread and butter" work of mostly nekkid oily folks and start seeing the other work he can turn you, it tells a different story. He it seems truly can be a very good artist, capable of good expression and design. He just gets paid to turn out schlocky stuff so thats what he produces. When you ask him to be creative/different, it seems he is very capable of that too.

Full disclosure, I dont think ive ever owned more than a single drawing by the man. Im not really a fan of his work, but its clear to me he (when he wants to be) can be a pretty great artist.

(thumbs u

IIRC he also did some really nice video game covers back in the day, maybe for one of the Sega systems? Ecco the dolphin maybe?

Boris and Julie (you really can't separate the two in that early 90s time frame when they did game covers, they worked on each other's stuff a lot) did around 35 game covers (I mean, box art... "cover" is a force of habit).

Ecco is a boris, yes, along with Ecco 2 and Ecco 2000. 1&2 were for genesis and 2000 for dreamcast and ps2.

Ecco-cover.jpg

Here's 2 and 2000:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=939259

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=936787

I don't have to think it's good art to actually respect aspects of the work.

Really, anyone willing to parody his own style is a-OK in my book. It's so meta. It's more or less spoofing a style, by the originating artist. That's rad.

aqua-teen-hunger-force-colon-movie-film.jpg

I still see unintended hilarity in so much of his body if work (no pun intended), and I do not think it good at all, but it doesn't diminish certain skill sets. Those can't be denied.

A certain level of taste........ perhaps. ;)

Sorry to make the total thread derail continue.

Maybe I should start a new thread?

"What is Boris for, and Taking Risks"

"Contracting Boris?"

"Art Behind Baby Oil: Show your framed Boris"

Absolutely, the parody pieces are some of his best work IMO. Genuinely funny! I'd put the national lampoon Vacation movie posters (there are two) in this vein also.

This one is signed Julie, but as I say in that time period you have to take who signed it with a grain of salt. My speculation is that they worked on everything together and charged two different price points depending on who signed it. I have one piece where the publication is signed by boris and the original signed by Julie for example :eyeroll: And, I did speak to a 90s art director who claims the above is true based on a drunken discussion with julie in the 90s

seinfeld-wars.jpg