• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

When I say it outloud, it makes no sense. But that 82 Bob Hall/Layton Avengers page is starting to look like a steal. Its still bronze age, its beautifully done, and its the entire main team with an epic huge middle splash panel. Even 80s Bob Hall is 600 bucks now I guess, since i dont find myself depressed at that thought.

I was the under-bidder and let it go at that point because of the browning and bottom tier being on separate board...that was my limit for those condition issues. And I had my eye on other things later in the sale.

It was 2/3 stat. Only the lesser bottom panels were original.

Huh. I'll have to re-read that description again, I missed that and definitely would be unhappy if I'd won!

Missed out on the Sale catwoman splash due to dinner...not happy

Not sure why so many people insist on bidding live via phone or Heritage Live. I try to bid live for the main session when I can (though have certainly left tons of proxy bids online as well), but, for the Saturday session, 100% of the time I just "set it and forget it". I won two lots in the Saturday session yesterday with my left bids.

Not sure why so many people insist on bidding live via phone or Heritage Live. I try to bid live for the main session when I can (though have certainly left tons of proxy bids online as well), but, for the Saturday session, 100% of the time I just "set it and forget it". I won two lots in the Saturday session yesterday with my left bids.

I won the same way yesterday. I wasn't pushed up to my max bid either as some have been concerned with in the past.

John B.

Most of the time the decision to pay more than you want to (or should) pay for something is made in the heat of the moment. Doing that ahead of time takes the pressure off and removes the needed internal rationalization in order to really do something obscene with bidding.

I won the same way yesterday. I wasn't pushed up to my max bid either as some have been concerned with in the past.

John B.

(thumbs u

I mean, at the very least, it's better than missing out entirely because dinner ran long!

You gotta be in it to win it!!

Yup, for that session it's good to fire and forget; I had a high bid which I should not have gone above , and I guess dinner protected me from my instincts to win!

Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs.

Yup, for that session it's good to fire and forget; I had a high bid which I should not have gone above , and I guess dinner protected me from my instincts to win!

Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs.

Can we get this permanently pinned to the top of the OA board?

Still, as Einstein proved, winning costs more no matter what

Can we play a round of anecdotal "what is going on here?"? Case in point, BWS Wildstorm Rising splash page which sold yesterday for $2,151 (inclusive of bp) after previously selling in the February CL auction for $2,600 (which you'll have to take my word for because CL doesn't maintain a public record of auction results).

Is it a flipper miscalculation? A case of a winner realizing they're actually a loser and in trying to rectify their situation losing even more? An owner thinking even $2,600 wasn't good enough and, having won their own lot, giving it another go with a different auction house, and still not getting the desired result (not unlike the flipper scenario above)? Me needlessly over-analyzing it?

The only one who will know is the seller...

Maybe they suddenly need money for bills...

Maybe it sold privately after Clink and someone else thought they would try it on HA

Plenty of opportunity to lose money on items in auction...

I always try to remember that when I win at auction it means no one else (in the world) thought it was worth that much :o:tonofbricks:

Can we play a round of anecdotal "what is going on here?"? Case in point, BWS Wildstorm Rising splash page which sold yesterday for $2,151 (inclusive of bp) after previously selling in the February CL auction for $2,600 (which you'll have to take my word for because CL doesn't maintain a public record of auction results).

Is it a flipper miscalculation? A case of a winner realizing they're actually a loser and in trying to rectify their situation losing even more? An owner thinking even $2,600 wasn't good enough and, having won their own lot, giving it another go with a different auction house, and still not getting the desired result (not unlike the flipper scenario above)? Me needlessly over-analyzing it?

Could be just a quick flip, or the person that bought it selling it now to found something else. I saw a few pieces that I remember seeing on Clink since I had been on them before. The Tim Sale Cat Woman splash from TLH that sold for around 5300 in this auction for instance I remember seeing in the 2014 featured winter auction on Clink where it sold a little less than that. The Incredible Hulk page with Doctor Doom in all the panels was even more recently sold at another auction before selling again at this one.

Still, as Einstein proved, winning costs more no matter what

Imma stick with Rosie Perez.

Perhaps thinking it was a steal when he bought it, not counting the discount on BWS when he's not the only artist working on the piece. (shrug)

Steve Rude Nexus #33 Story Page 13 Judah Maccabee Original Art (First, 1987)

So lucky to have won this, thanks lucky bidding finger!

From one NEXUS fan to another...congrats! Very nice page.

I don't see it in the auction listing, but I'm fairly certain the page originally came with an overlay for the beam effects. A friend owned this page for many years. You may want to ask HA if they have it.

The absentee bid can be good for a internet auction, not really for a live auction with auctionneer, where mostly at all times, you're gonna pay the maximum of your offer, even if there's no underbidder.

This seems to be a common belief, but I believe it is highly misguided - I have won dozens of lots with left/absentee/proxy bids at prices below my maximum bid. And, again, in any case, bidding this way is better than not bidding at all, which guarantees that you won't get the piece you want!

Hi Gene,

This is not a belief, this has been experienced by most of the people I talked with who left absentee bids in european auctions. They just stopped because every time when they won, it was their maximum bid....

Also, there are sometimes doubts regarding the other person "on the phone" or the offer in front of the auctioneer. With experience, and if we're on the auction floor, we can sometimes guess the auction house is just trying to get the bidder over the reserve. And don't get me starting over people knowing the top bid from premium collectors, because those talked about it openly with the auction house guys, and trying to get them to spend the maximum.

So of course, if you want to win, you have to play, but telepathy would sometimes save us some money.

Hi Gene,

This is not a belief, this has been experienced by most of the people I talked with who left absentee bids in european auctions. They just stopped because every time when they won, it was their maximum bid....

Also, there are sometimes doubts regarding the other person "on the phone" or the offer in front of the auctioneer. With experience, and if we're on the auction floor, we can sometimes guess the auction house is just trying to get the bidder over the reserve. And don't get me starting over people knowing the top bid from premium collectors, because those talked about it openly with the auction house guys, and trying to get them to spend the maximum.

So of course, if you want to win, you have to play, but telepathy would sometimes save us some money.

I don't know about European auctions but definitely on Heritage and CLINK, I have won stuff well below my max proxy bid, in some case several thousand.