• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

When I say it outloud, it makes no sense. But that 82 Bob Hall/Layton Avengers page is starting to look like a steal. Its still bronze age, its beautifully done, and its the entire main team with an epic huge middle splash panel. Even 80s Bob Hall is 600 bucks now I guess, since i dont find myself depressed at that thought.

I was the under-bidder and let it go at that point because of the browning and bottom tier being on separate board...that was my limit for those condition issues. And I had my eye on other things later in the sale.

It was 2/3 stat. Only the lesser bottom panels were original.

Huh. I'll have to re-read that description again, I missed that and definitely would be unhappy if I'd won!

OMG, just read that as well. I looked this page over and just skimmed description, totally missed this entire thing is basically a stat. Even the avengers stamp at top is a paste up?

Yeah, ok this went from steal to "wow, what happened?"

Had this been a full page like this, even from the 80s, this would be a decent buy at that price. But it only being 1/3 real art, wow how much is bob hall art worth than? Oddly enough, I just won a page with all the avengers and associated NY heroes for 260 from that same era last night on evilbay so where is exactly is the market on these?

Missed out on the Sale catwoman splash due to dinner...not happy

How can you let food interfere with art acquisitions?

:o I thought he was a robot that just told ppl to floss more and bought BA-Copper art.

* Note to self, send Take out to Minnesota before comiclink auction. hm

The absentee bid can be good for a internet auction, not really for a live auction with auctionneer, where mostly at all times, you're gonna pay the maximum of your offer, even if there's no underbidder.

Sorry, but that's not true at all. I've won plenty of auctions with my internet proxy bid withstanding all live bids (and no, I wasn't pushed to the max).

You are correct as of course there are no absolutes , but "funny business" is always a prospect. No auction house is beyond reproach and there is now empircal precedent due to at minimum one dealers shady business as it relates to at least one auction house.

I assume what you're referring to is Burkey/Romitaman asking his buddies to shill his auctions. I don't see what difference that would make to an absentee bid vs live bid. He basically asked his buddies to set a reserve price, and my absentee bid or live bid was either going to be above the reserve price to win the item or it was not.

The concern most people express about putting in absentee bids is that the auction house will use its inside information to walk you up to your max. Perhaps that is a legitimate concern with some auction houses, but I don't think it is with Heritage. As I've indicated, the vast majority of my wins on Heritage have been through absentee bids, and many of those wins were nowhere close to my max.

Based on what people have repeatedly said on these Boards and other anecdotal evidence that most of us know personally or have heard, I think there is ample evidence that its a spurious notion that a reputable auction house like Heritage or ComicLink impermissibly walks bids up or otherwise manipulates the bidding so that absentee bids hit their max.

I've won pieces from both Comiclink and Heritage as low as 1/3 of my max.

I have never won at 1/3 but I think that is because I tend to be a bit conservative in my bids. I have won most items without hitting my max bid.

When I say it outloud, it makes no sense. But that 82 Bob Hall/Layton Avengers page is starting to look like a steal. Its still bronze age, its beautifully done, and its the entire main team with an epic huge middle splash panel. Even 80s Bob Hall is 600 bucks now I guess, since i dont find myself depressed at that thought.

I was the under-bidder and let it go at that point because of the browning and bottom tier being on separate board...that was my limit for those condition issues. And I had my eye on other things later in the sale.

Huh. I'll have to re-read that description again, I missed that and definitely would be unhappy if I'd won!

OMG, just read that as well. I looked this page over and just skimmed description, totally missed this entire thing is basically a stat. Even the avengers stamp at top is a paste up?

Had this been a full page like this, even from the 80s, this would be a decent buy at that price. But it only being 1/3 real art, wow how much is bob hall art worth than? Oddly enough, I just won a page with all the avengers and associated NY heroes for 260 from that same era last night on evilbay so where is exactly is the market on these?

The thing with Hall Avengers art is that it is from a now-classic period that is fondly remembered by guys like myself (no, I didn't buy this one, but I have had a couple pages from that issue) who grew up reading those issues. It is currently very affordable, but increasing steadily in value.

I had the chance to buy this page before the auction, but it being more than half stat kept me from making the purchase. However, I am the one who identified it as the Iron Man being inked by Layton.

Hall, Milgrom and Laroque Avengers pages are going up in value, like I said, because of collectors like myself whose golden age was that period.

The thing with Hall Avengers art is that it is from a now-classic period that is fondly remembered by guys like myself (no, I didn't buy this one, but I have had a couple pages from that issue) who grew up reading those issues. It is currently very affordable, but increasing steadily in value.

I had the chance to buy this page before the auction, but it being more than half stat kept me from making the purchase. However, I am the one who identified it as the Iron Man being inked by Layton.

Hall, Milgrom and Laroque Avengers pages are going up in value, like I said, because of collectors like myself whose golden age was that period.

Good point, it could be an emerging market like pollard Spidey was a few years go.

Based on what people have repeatedly said on these Boards and other anecdotal evidence that most of us know personally or have heard, I think there is ample evidence that its a spurious notion that a reputable auction house like Heritage or ComicLink impermissibly walks bids up or otherwise manipulates the bidding so that absentee bids hit their max.

I tend to agree with this and Tim's sentiments.

- Shilling at Auction Houses - YES

- Employees bidding on items - YES

- Auction houses using absentee bid information to bid up items - NO

Honestly, I'd look at the risk reward here, there are so many other price manipulation tactics in play that the auction house using data they have and then putting in ghost bids to increase the price, doesn't seem necessary. I just don't see the need.

Good point, it could be an emerging market like pollard Spidey was a few years go.

I've been buying 1980s Avengers pages because I was reading that series from around 1976-1984. While I probably cannot afford the Perez and Byrne pages I would love to own, early 1980s Bob Hall pages have been, for awhile, a lot more affordable. Now, though, I think Bob Hall is the Bob Brown or George Tuska of the 1980s (I think Hall is WAY better than both of those artists and, I think with the right inker, like John Beatty on Squadron Supreme, Hall's art is some of the best of that era).

If you think about it, Hall drew some of the best covers of the 1980s (Avengers 223 and Thor 329 are two iconic examples).

Auction houses using absentee bid information to bid up items - NO

Honestly, I'd look at the risk reward here, there are so many other price manipulation tactics in play that the auction house using data they have and then putting in ghost bids to increase the price, doesn't seem necessary. I just don't see the need.

Unless your name is Bill Mastro.

Which is another reason you'll never see that done by anyone, with a single working synapse, again.

Which is another reason you'll never see that done by anyone, with a single working synapse, again.

Human nature (hubris) being what it is...sure we will. And probably an even bigger and more scandalous an outcome in the end too. But whether that will be in comics or not, who knows?!

Human nature (hubris) being what it is...sure we will. And probably an even bigger and more scandalous an outcome in the end too. But whether that will be in comics or not, who knows?!

Sure, somewhere along the line there will be some small time operation that will think the reward outweighs the risk, but it won't be an organization that makes multiples of what it makes on comics in other areas putting it all to risk for pennies to their hundreds.

Not true 100% on bidding up to max...I know for sure by personal experience on a large transaction, if you want to PM I will show you the transaction and my max bid....