• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

Dunno about the European angle, but at heritage and such there's no issue.

I've won lots for a low percentage of my bid at times.

Depends partly on what you are bidding on and how aggressively. If you are bidding aggressively on a niche item as Inhave done, if you win at your max that is more suspicious. If you are bidding straight FMV on blue chip quasi commodities like say amazing fantasy 15, it's no surprise when you win at your exact max.

In my example where in if aggressively on a niche item, I won at just 10% of my max. That builds trust.

Regarding reselling some art very fast, there are multiple possibilities.

1. You could be disappointed when seeing it in person, and not being moved at all. and just want to sell it back as soon as possible.

2. Some have been lucky with buying/selling very fast. I was surprised the first time I saw people buying or trading art at a dealer's booth and then pricing it with a 20 or 30 percent raise 10 minutes later at their own booth. And sometimes a buyer jumps at it, cause he's been looking for it for so many years.

3. You just have been lost in a buying frenzy and you realize there are bills to pay, and you have to become reasonable for the next 10 days.

4. Someone just offers you THE next big page you've been chasing around.

5. You just like to play.

and I'm sure there are a dozen other reasons.

Missed out on the Sale catwoman splash due to dinner...not happy

Not sure why so many people insist on bidding live via phone or Heritage Live. I try to bid live for the main session when I can (though have certainly left tons of proxy bids online as well), but, for the Saturday session, 100% of the time I just "set it and forget it". I won two lots in the Saturday session yesterday with my left bids.

Most of the time the decision to pay more than you want to (or should) pay for something is made in the heat of the moment. Doing that ahead of time takes the pressure off and removes the needed internal rationalization in order to really do something obscene with bidding.

Exactly.

Fortunately, Heritage forces me to bid through proxy bids because of the time zone difference. The one time they held an auction early enough for me to stay up and bid live, I went nuts. lol

The absentee bid can be good for a internet auction, not really for a live auction with auctionneer, where mostly at all times, you're gonna pay the maximum of your offer, even if there's no underbidder.

Sorry, but that's not true at all. I've won plenty of auctions with my internet proxy bid withstanding all live bids (and no, I wasn't pushed to the max).

I was interested in the Action #43 page (even my wife was into it), but we weren't serious bidders there and I didn't think that we'd get close.

Maybe it's because I'm not overly informed, but $20k was the low end of what I'd imagine the War Journal #7 cover would go for. I'm a fan of Lee's Punisher work, though, and my age puts me at a prime spot to remember when PWJ 6/7 came out. It was a big deal at the time.

Steve Rude Nexus #33 Story Page 13 Judah Maccabee Original Art (First, 1987)

So lucky to have won this, thanks lucky bidding finger!

From one NEXUS fan to another...congrats! Very nice page.

I don't see it in the auction listing, but I'm fairly certain the page originally came with an overlay for the beam effects. A friend owned this page for many years. You may want to ask HA if they have it.

Thanks, Felix, yep, the overlay is mentioned in the description.

Funnily enough, I am a bigger Kreed fan than Nexus but I wanted a killer battle page from the series and this completes my quest.

I was interested in the Action #43 page (even my wife was into it), but we weren't serious bidders there and I didn't think that we'd get close.

Maybe it's because I'm not overly informed, but $20k was the low end of what I'd imagine the War Journal #7 cover would go for. I'm a fan of Lee's Punisher work, though, and my age puts me at a prime spot to remember when PWJ 6/7 came out. It was a big deal at the time.

I think where that one ended had more to do with the inker on the piece than with the importance of the cover.

With Williams Inks I think you're looking at $35k+

The absentee bid can be good for a internet auction, not really for a live auction with auctionneer, where mostly at all times, you're gonna pay the maximum of your offer, even if there's no underbidder.

Sorry, but that's not true at all. I've won plenty of auctions with my internet proxy bid withstanding all live bids (and no, I wasn't pushed to the max).

Same here.

I won one piece with $6k to spare on my max.

Depends partly on what you are bidding on and how aggressively. If you are bidding aggressively on a niche item as Inhave done, if you win at your max that is more suspicious. If you are bidding straight FMV on blue chip quasi commodities like say amazing fantasy 15, it's no surprise when you win at your exact max.

In my example where in if aggressively on a niche item, I won at just 10% of my max. That builds trust.

For me, if it's a lot I really want, I bid live, preferably on the phone. Yes, there's a chance emotions get the better of me, but regardless, I want to be there when it goes down.

I could see placing proxy bids on things I don't care that much about. But these days, I really only bid on pieces that will be keepers. Impulse buys tend not to be keepers, so I don't bother anymore. With what vintage art cost these days, I save my bullets for meaningful targets.

Same here.

Of course, that's the thing though, an absentee bid won't respond if it's beaten.

If a piece is on my radar, the kind of piece that when I first saw it, the figurative arm sweep of all objects on the work desk is my response, an absentee bid is what I'd most like to be going up against.

For me, if it's a lot I really want, I bid live, preferably on the phone. Yes, there's a chance emotions get the better of me, but regardless, I want to be there when it goes down.

I could see placing proxy bids on things I don't care that much about. But these days, I really only bid on pieces that will be keepers. Impulse buys tend not to be keepers, so I don't bother anymore. With what vintage art cost these days, I save my bullets for meaningful targets.

For me it's more about what other commitments I have that day

I think where that one ended had more to do with the inker on the piece than with the importance of the cover.

Sound logic that I cannot find fault with.

:jokealert:

Scott

Sound logic that I cannot find fault with.

:jokealert:

Scott

heh, I was more worried about all the browning and stayed away. Then again, maybe Williams would have used india ink :)

Malvin

Same here.

Of course, that's the thing though, an absentee bid won't respond if it's beaten.

If a piece is on my radar, the kind of piece that when I first saw it, the figurative arm sweep of all objects on the work desk is my response, an absentee bid is what I'd most like to be going up against.

That's the point Chris is making, though. An absentee bid is cold and rational, and you won't be swept away by emotion. You pick the absolute highest amount you are willing to pay, as determined while you're in calm and collected, and let it ride.

If you go in to a live bid with the mindset that you're going to pay whatever it takes to win, and run up against someone else with the same mindset, then you might indeed win it, but at what price (literally)?

As I mentioned, due to time zones, I usually can't bid live anyways, so am forced to rely on rational internet bids (which have over time worked out just fine for me). The one time I was able to stay up late enough to bid live, I was cursing like a sailor when I got outbid and angrily slammed in higher and higher bids because I wasn't going to be beaten by a bunch of Eurotrash.

Upshot was that I won a bunch of stuff, but set a bunch of records in the process. :tonofbricks:

Upshot was that I won a bunch of stuff, but set a bunch of records in the process. :tonofbricks:

We like record setters :grin:

If it's an item I want, I usually bid live and set a max in my mind number before hand. Sometimes I'll hit a cut bid over but that's it. So far I've been disciplined enough not to go nuts bidding live.

Same here.

That's the point Chris is making, though. An absentee bid is cold and rational, and you won't be swept away by emotion. You pick the absolute highest amount you are willing to pay, as determined while you're in calm and collected, and let it ride.

If you go in to a live bid with the mindset that you're going to pay whatever it takes to win, and run up against someone else with the same mindset, then you might indeed win it, but at what price (literally)?

As I mentioned, due to time zones, I usually can't bid live anyways, so am forced to rely on rational internet bids (which have over time worked out just fine for me). The one time I was able to stay up late enough to bid live, I was cursing like a sailor when I got outbid and angrily slammed in higher and higher bids because I wasn't going to be beaten by a bunch of Eurotrash.

Do you regret any of those wins?

For the lots I truly want, and make an effort to bid live, I assume the other guy is also a lunatic. IMO, my best chance at winning isn't by trying to out-smart him, but to out-crazy him. I've paid through the nose, too...but no regrets. Happy to get what I wanted. With art, it might have been the only chance.

You are correct as of course there are no absolutes , but "funny business" is always a prospect. No auction house is beyond reproach and there is now empircal precedent due to at minimum one dealers shady business as it relates to at least one auction house.

Seeing people clapping hands after a specific bid fight has always been a mystery to me. It's like a big neon sign "We got you good man".

to me it's clapping for people that have better examples in their collection that are counting their money.