• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

$95k
:wishluck:

U a potential buyer ? or the seller ?

I've never sold a piece of art, only collect silver surfer pieces...and I don't have a cover in my collection (at least not from original series)

OK now I see.

But now REALLY dont understand.

Fingers crossed would have made me think GATOR was the winner,...which some here say was NOT the case.

So confused.

hm

PS - I think notions of 'Cabal' are 9 out of 10 times mere 'paranoid fantasy' but still....is this Cabal stuff going on? :P

I won (not a Cabal member)

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1334936

$95k

I've never sold a piece of art, only collect silver surfer pieces...and I don't have a cover in my collection (at least not from original series)

OK now I see.

Fingers crossed would have made me think GATOR was the winner,...which some here say was NOT the case.

So confused.

hm

PS - I think notions of 'Cabal' are 9 out of 10 times mere 'paranoid fantasy' but still....is this Cabal stuff going on? :P

Congrats on winning the Silver Surfer cover!

$95k

OK now I see.

So confused.

hm

Congrats on winning the Silver Surfer cover!

yes,..congrats! beautiful image.

Well, congratulations to Imran, who nailed a real beaut in that SS cover. I really thought it could have run up between 75k-90k, so I think he did quite well.

I struck out today. First time that's happened in years. The Wrightson SW stuff got the limelight, but I was focused on the Bissette art. All three were great examples, and I made a sincere (if futile) attempt to get the panel page and the cover.

I also went after the colored Wolvie pages, hoping that the condition issue would keep the bidders away. Well, that didn't happen. As the underbidder to the "claws out" page, I've determined that post-production coloring won't lower a piece's value if it is desirable enough.

Oh well, more ammo for the next auction!

I'd also like to congratulate the winners of the Grummett Superman Funeral tpb cover and the Golden Dr Strange plate: Although very different pieces, my gut says that both were great values. At 5k, the Supe was a no-brainer. At 63k, the Golden piece, while expensive, is an unmatchable example of Golden's "golden" period.

Buscema Surfer cover about the same as Adkins dr strange?

Coke!!!

Ahhhhhhh, that explains it!

No, you owe me a coke....since we posted almost the same thing at the same time. lol

Haha, I thought you meant on some illegal substance!

Uh, wow. Terry and the Pirates gets this auction off to a rousing start.

:o That price is staggering!

The $12K price for the Terry with a Dragon Lady appearance in the last auction was far and away the highest price paid for a Terry daily at Heritage(except for the very 1st Terry strip), but this went for more than double!

And then the Caniff Male Call daily went for $33K! :ohnoez:

Seems like vintage comic strip collectors, or at least Caniff collectors, are applying a Gene P. Pritchard formula based on the number of Caniff femmes appearing in a strip multiplied by the state of undress multiplied by the amount of lingerie being worn.

:o That price is staggering!

The $12K price for the Terry with a Dragon Lady appearance in the last auction was far and away the highest price paid for a Terry daily at Heritage(except for the very 1st Terry strip), but this went for more than double!

And then the Caniff Male Call daily went for $33K! :ohnoez:

Seems like vintage comic strip collectors, or at least Caniff collectors, are applying a Gene P. Pritchard formula based on the number of Caniff femmes appearing in a strip multiplied by the state of undress multiplied by the amount of lingerie being worn.

Those were staggering! Who's buying these? .......crazy

Terry art is completely off my radar. Is this typical? Holy , the second one is going nuts too. Are these particularly special examples?

Scott, I`m surprised you`re not more familiar with Milton Caniff, the Master of Ink. His brushwork on Terry & the Pirates back in the 1930s (carried on later with Steve Canyon) was revolutionary.

Or maybe you`re just saying you`re not familiar with the market for his OA.

But no, these pieces were totally beyond anything ever paid on Heritage for his work, with the exception of the very 1st Terry comic strip ever (which went for about $39K 6 years ago), but that piece obviously had real historical significance

Shocked at $4.1k for that Erik Larsen SM page :o No Spidey and a narrow panel of Sinister Six headshots.

Is Larsen the new McFarlane hm

Alot of Larsen's ASM art was destroyed in a house fire so there is a rarity to it. Plus rule of 25. Kids that were reading Larsen spidey 25 years ago now have money.

Terry art is completely off my radar. Is this typical? Holy , the second one is going nuts too. Are these particularly special examples?

Must be because a 1939 Sunday piece went for about $5000 in may.

Apples and oranges.

This piece had the Dragon Lady, Caniff`s archetypal femme fatale, in every panel and showing her softer side and kissing Pat, to boot.

Although the price is still nuts.

I'm far from the most knowledgeable Caniff collector, but I can partly answer this. The most desirable Terry's feature the Dragon Lady, probably the only character from that strip that still resides somewhat in the mass public consciousness, and this is an extraordinary DL-in all-four-panels breaking character to confess her love for Pat example.

The Male Call strip was known for always having a payoff GGA gag featuring Miss Lace, this one has pin-up shots in all four panels so it's kind of an ultimate example. Also Male Call OA is much less common than Terry or Steve Canyon, so commands a rarity premium.

That said, these prices are three times what I expected!

Thanks for your thoughts Gene.

Just for the record I wasn't suggesting 150 on the special series, but I do think it will crack 100? (butt quote).

$65.7K on the Special Series. Special, but not $100K+ special.

Yeah yeah I get it ;) Not missing a chance to say you were right, are you? :)(:

He`s not so much saying he was right as much as he`s saying that you were wrong. :baiting:

Scott, I`m surprised you`re not more familiar with Milton Caniff, the Master of Ink. His brushwork on Terry & the Pirates back in the 1930s (carried on later with Steve Canyon) was revolutionary.

Or maybe you`re just saying you`re not familiar with the market for his OA.

But no, these pieces were totally beyond anything ever paid on Heritage for his work, with the exception of the very 1st Terry comic strip ever (which went for about $39K 6 years ago), but that piece obviously had real historical significance

Definitely the market I'm not familiar with. Very familiar with Caniff and his signature brush work. Just seemed like big prices for dailies to me, completely based on ignorance of market and valuation. Sounds like I was right to be surprised by the results though!

I was interested in multiple pieces in this auction but after much hemming and hawing I only bid on one piece, the Wrightson Swampthing wrap around cover. I was the underbidder, and hoped that so much Wrightson being offered all at once might soften the market and a bit, but it was not to be. Gave it my best shot though, and I think the buyer got the cover for a highish but fair price.

Lots to digest in this auction. More thoughts later.

Scott

Curious why the KK passed at 30K? Seemed fair given PIH results for others from this portfolio.

I thought the other ones at PIH last year were a lot better. I mean "Kubla's Anguish" was probably my favorite piece in that entire sale.

That reserve price for the KK didn`t make any sense to me at all.

Considering what Frazetta`s published B&W pieces have gone for, "published" meaning pieces that appeared in classic editions of ERB`s series and introduced Frazetta`s work to generations of sci-fi/fantasy fans, it didn`t make any sense that B&W pieces that only appeared in a standalone portfolio would rival those prices.

The Frazetta B&W Kubla Khan piece`s reserve is over $35K (w/BP). :screwy:

Curious why you think the KK price is high? Several of the other plates from this portfolio sold for more than this at the previous Doc Dave auction. I wish they hadn't. I quite like this KK piece myself, I might be able to afford the reserve, if I sold a bunch from my collection.

I`ll take a page from the Delekkerste Playbook and publicly high five myself here.

Surprised by the high prices for the Joe Kubert pages : 3.200 and 4.600.

Both prices were strong, but I was surprised that the gap between the 2 pieces was so close, because the 2nd piece is clearly superior.

But as others have said in this thread, $10K is the new $3K, and $3K is the new $1K.

I've been able to buy some for lower than 2.000.

From the same time period?