• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

August Heritage Auction

731 posts in this topic

Anybody else shocked over the Michael Golden Dr.Strange piece final gavel?

I'm stunned. :popcorn:

I'm only shocked when prices go cheap nowadays.

...it makes you want to keep on buying and never sell

The motto of a horder! :)

But in truth, there are some pieces that have yet to mature to it's near potential, making it hard to let pieces go perceivably too early.

Curious why the KK passed at 30K? Seemed fair given PIH results for others from this portfolio.

I thought the other ones at PIH last year were a lot better. I mean "Kubla's Anguish" was probably my favorite piece in that entire sale.

That reserve price for the KK didn`t make any sense to me at all.

Considering what Frazetta`s published B&W pieces have gone for, "published" meaning pieces that appeared in classic editions of ERB`s series and introduced Frazetta`s work to generations of sci-fi/fantasy fans, it didn`t make any sense that B&W pieces that only appeared in a standalone portfolio would rival those prices.

Curious where you'd value this piece (I am pretty new here obviously). At the PIH auction the plates from the KK portfolio pulled 55+11, 70+14, and 45+12. Its easy to argue those were better pieces than this one but I guess I was still expecting a bid. The Black Nazgul pulled close to 80k (another league really).

My benchmark is his B&W illustrative art pieces that were published in books, particularly in the ERB books that helped to establish his popularity. On Heritage, the recent prices of his illustrations that appeared in the Pellucidar and John Carter/Mars books have ranged from $20K-$40K.

I personally think the KK pieces should sell for less, although apparently I`m in a minority. I would take the Pellucidar piece in this auction, at $24K, over the KK RNM piece all day, even at the same price.

Congrats on winning the Silver Surfer cover!

Yeah nice pick up at that price. $70k is pretty good for a journeyman artist. ;)

If quality of art or talent of the artist was actually important to comic OA collectors, then Herb Trimpe (Herb :censored: ing Trimpe!!!) would not be the current king of interior page prices.

Did you beat out a certain widow collector for that page?

He beat my bids, that's for sure. At least two people went again after I stopped.

Were you the guys who beat me out on the 1st Appearance of Black Widow page from Tales of Suspense on ComicLink? :)

No. That's wasn't me. The appeal of this one was miller Janson did page with bullseye and that action.

Does anyone know the sales tax in Florida for HA?

Heritage charges whatever the states sales tax is. I'd guess it's a lot like what you'd pay for anything you'd buy at the store.

Heritage charges whatever the states sales tax is. I'd guess it's a lot like what you'd pay for anything you'd buy at the store.

HA charges taxes in just NY, IL, FL, TX and CA

It's something about the states they have a physical presence in (as a seller, auctioneer) and the states that demand sales tax be collected even of the seller has no presence.

It's something about the states they have a physical presence in (as a seller, auctioneer) and the states that demand sales tax be collected even of the seller has no presence.

They have an office there. C'mon Chris--don't you remember minimum contacts from your civ pro days?

I guess strip art is still hot! yowza.

Sigh. I will never own a top Alex Raymond piece.

The quality of his work during his prime period of 1934-36, whether it be Flash Gordon, Jungle Jim or Secret Agent X-9, is just breathtaking.

Unfortunately, the deepness of the pockets of the people collecting his work is even more breathtaking.

I have confidence that this is an achievable goal for you, Tim. I mean, two Rip Kirbys sold for <$1.6K and two Secret Agent X-9s sold for <$4K today.

Heck, the way AAPL stock is rebounding, I'd expect you to be in the mix for a Flash Gordon Sunday here.

One of the Rip Kirby's sold for >$12,000.00. The only one I wanted.

$95k
:wishluck:

U a potential buyer ? or the seller ?

I've never sold a piece of art, only collect silver surfer pieces...and I don't have a cover in my collection (at least not from original series)

OK now I see.

But now REALLY dont understand.

Fingers crossed would have made me think GATOR was the winner,...which some here say was NOT the case.

So confused.

hm

PS - I think notions of 'Cabal' are 9 out of 10 times mere 'paranoid fantasy' but still....is this Cabal stuff going on? :P

I won (not a Cabal member)

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1334936

Congrats on winning the Silver Surfer cover!

Yeah nice pick up at that price. $70k is pretty good for a journeyman artist. ;)

I'm missing a box of sa key comics here at Tampa con and I just wasn't in the mood to bid. Even more depressed when I saw how low it went :cry:

They have an office there. C'mon Chris--don't you remember minimum contacts from your civ pro days?

They have an office in Florida ?

They don't have one in Illinois