• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

On 7/8/2022 at 9:44 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Looks like this one was supposed to be a pack-in with the Luthor vs. Skeletor set too, but it may have been a mail-away situation:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234615922023

1795312104_motudc.thumb.jpg.44eec2fdb36cc10c9ba8977feb0289fb.jpg

1658708292_luthorskeletor.thumb.jpg.05b1e318378e1e29d69fd40fac1a6d11.jpg

Congrats on finding the DC Comics Presents copy!!

Fascinating. 
I agree I found the better of the two, but now I want to find the other copy. This one took me 10+ years lol.

On 7/12/2022 at 7:46 PM, fastballspecial said:

Yours are all 9.8 are they not black they look it? What color are they?

The X-force and X-Factor are about 80-90% black and the Uncanny is only black in the center.  Can just make out the rocks on the boarders.  

On 7/12/2022 at 7:11 PM, Beastfeast said:

The X-force and X-Factor are about 80-90% black and the Uncanny is only black in the center.  Can just make out the rocks on the boarders.  

Either way I have never found one high enough in grade to send off. Maybe this Excalibur I will have to look at again.
At least they note distorted hologram now.

On 7/12/2022 at 9:04 PM, fastballspecial said:

Either way I have never found one high enough in grade to send off. Maybe this Excalibur I will have to look at again.
At least they note distorted hologram now.

So I'm sure you guys have talked about the conditions for how these things happen but here's my anecdotal take since the chances of finding all distorted holograms in one box is pretty astronomically rare:

Humidity is the catalyst for the distortions or at least contributes.  These were kept in a non temperature controlled garage in Florida and REEKED like mildew when I took them out of their bags.  Somehow they dodged foxing or mold like Neo in the Matrix, though.  The only other times I've found holograms this distorted were from collections that were stored in humid conditions in the southeast.  

Edited by Beastfeast

On 7/12/2022 at 8:09 PM, Beastfeast said:

So I'm sure you guys have talked about the conditions for how these things happen but here's my anecdotal take since the chances of finding all distorted holograms in one box is pretty astronomically rare:

Humidity is the catalyst for the distortions or at least contributes.  These were kept in a non temperature controlled garage in Florida and REEKED like mildew when I took them out of their bags.  Somehow they dodged foxing or mold like Neo in the Matrix, though.  The only other times I've found holograms this distorted were from collections that were stored in humid conditions in the southeast.  

I've tried to recreate it but i've done unsuccessful short term tests. I also thought it was humidity and heat, but found plenty up here in Chicago over the years. May attempt to recreate again but over a longer term. I thought the types of bags (older thicker) had something to do with the change as well

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 7/13/2022 at 4:18 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I've tried to recreate it but i've done unsuccessful short term tests. I also thought it was humidity and heat, but found plenty up here in Chicago over the years. May attempt to recreate again but over a longer term. I thought the types of bags (older thicker) had something to do with the change as well

They were in those 90s thick bags, for sure.  Good call.  

On 7/14/2022 at 1:01 PM, littledoom said:
On 7/14/2022 at 11:25 AM, manetteska said:

So it's no longer Megaton #2?

forgot about that one. I was focused on #1 and #3.. now I'll have to go back and check! Thanks

lol 

Looking a prices for #2 vs #3 it looks like 3 has taken over, which wasn't the case before.

On 7/14/2022 at 1:19 PM, manetteska said:

lol 

Looking a prices for #2 vs #3 it looks like 3 has taken over, which wasn't the case before.

I checked and there was still no #2.. I always loved that #3 cover. I always remembered it being $30-60. Looks like it’s closer to $100 now. Rightfully so if u ask me. I did find these beauties :cloud9:

708AFDA7-3E7A-435A-A0CA-92C7606ED276.thumb.jpeg.3de57ad7cda07ad2dfe4174bccbfea7e.jpeg

Edited by littledoom

On 7/14/2022 at 8:19 PM, littledoom said:

I checked and there was still no #2.. I always loved that #3 cover. I always remembered it being $30-60. Looks like it’s closer to $100 now. Rightfully so if u ask me. I did find these beauties :cloud9:

708AFDA7-3E7A-435A-A0CA-92C7606ED276.thumb.jpeg.3de57ad7cda07ad2dfe4174bccbfea7e.jpeg

That'll make some Danzig fans happy!

On 7/12/2022 at 8:09 PM, Beastfeast said:

I agree with your assessment. I find them, but whats fun about it is you never know what type of color distortion you will have. 
The black and purple is my favorite and the rarest. Green and Blue I can find occasionally. Its just a neat fun hunt.

On 7/15/2022 at 10:14 AM, manetteska said:

From Chicago Fan Expo. 

I have been looking in back issue bins for years for a Hardware 49 and never found one. Finally saw this copy from a dealer still setting up and bought it just to have one. The seller also had two copies of Static 45 but they were priced above graded copies. 

4444EF8D-4ED8-42CD-8AED-F7865878376C.thumb.jpeg.2b8315e96e64e8f8f6c595c5611e9bae.jpeg

I would try to talk him down on those Statics they are worth their weight in gold.

On 7/15/2022 at 12:13 PM, fastballspecial said:

I agree with your assessment. I find them, but whats fun about it is you never know what type of color distortion you will have. 
The black and purple is my favorite and the rarest. Green and Blue I can find occasionally. Its just a neat fun hunt.

Just found a Wolverine 75 today that's 75% black with some blue around the edges.  Same as before: VERY humid storage and in the same bag for 25+ years.  

On 7/15/2022 at 2:53 PM, Beastfeast said:

Just found a Wolverine 75 today that's 75% black with some blue around the edges.  Same as before: VERY humid storage and in the same bag for 25+ years.  

you might complete the set before I do lol 

More power to you though! I've been spending, got to cut back if I'm to have the $$