• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2022 at 9:34 PM, WolverineX said:

What's the story about this?

This and These were part of a set sold in the JC Penney catalog in the mid 90s.  I was almost positive I bought one of those sets from the catalog back in the day but they're long since sold/lost/given away. 

On 7/21/2022 at 7:20 PM, Beastfeast said:

First time finding one of these but also the first time I remembered to look.  Chalk that up to dumb luck.  

tU6N2OI.jpg

That one's tough! AND you found a copy where the cover was cut square and mostly aligned with the interior (looks a little high, I think I see pages peeking at the bottom, but that's way better than some of these). That's even tougher.

I swear Marvel's printer must have done those JC Penney books under protest, or had the accounting intern run the presses for them, or something, because so many of them are just so incompetently assembled.

On 7/23/2022 at 7:32 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I’ve run into the silver surfer one quite a bit - this is the first for the Doctor Strange (granted I don’t normally buy this title) @fastballspecial

BD14BC75-9F23-40E7-B775-6BCE6EF17EC9.jpeg

Yes I have heard about this book, but I have never seen it in person. Ive only seen like 2 Silver Surfers in person. 
Anyone seen the watch I am assuming it had one.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:23 PM, Qalyar said:

That one's tough! AND you found a copy where the cover was cut square and mostly aligned with the interior (looks a little high, I think I see pages peeking at the bottom, but that's way better than some of these). That's even tougher.

I swear Marvel's printer must have done those JC Penney books under protest, or had the accounting intern run the presses for them, or something, because so many of them are just so incompetently assembled.

Still to this day I see people sell Young Heroes and Amazing Fantasy JCPenny's as NM copies from their decades. Man do they get Neg hard for it afterwards lol.

On 8/16/2022 at 12:41 PM, Towhead said:
On 8/16/2022 at 2:12 AM, IbukiLord said:

Less than 1000 of these according to comichron print run, never thought I'd find one in the wild yet alone for cover price.

AnE6Rpp.jpg

Expand  

Pardon but what is comichron?

for clarity you may google it, but it doesn't give "print runs" per se, it more gives a round number to the number of initial sales or something. It's been spoken of from time to time, to give an estimate to print runs, but may be a more of "at least this many" out there. Or something, I'm sure others have a more clear understanding :cheers: