• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2022 at 8:02 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I see the 94 much more often that I see the other issues in the 90s. Found that Spectre for $3 at Heroes. The rest are ghosts for me. 

94 came out way later.  And it was pretty expensive at release.  It's been fairly common to find (for me). 

As FBS said, the others are super hard to find in nice condition.  

Patrick

On 7/4/2022 at 4:25 AM, Michael Browning said:

The Silver Surfer Fireside graphic novel is one that’s been unseen in the wild for me in about 24 years since I bought my last copy for $5 in Comic World in Charleston, WV, along with a few other Fireside TPBs.

I usually find Fireside novels at every yard sale I go to

On 7/5/2022 at 8:12 PM, followtheleader said:
On 7/5/2022 at 7:02 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I see the 94 much more often that I see the other issues in the 90s. Found that Spectre for $3 at Heroes. The rest are ghosts for me. 

94 came out way later.  And it was pretty expensive at release.  It's been fairly common to find (for me). 

As FBS said, the others are super hard to find in nice condition.  

Patrick

Yes it was just a cash grab at the time years later. It still sells well because its titled as GR 94 last issue. 
I find it a few times a year so its not plentiful, but compared to GR V2 issues in the 70s 80s and early 90s
its very easy to find. I have found a GR copy in the wild past like 87 in a couple of years now. I bought
a GR 93 last year and it sold in the first 2 hours of my show this year. The guy that bought it had been 
looking for a long time he was happy.

On a side note Id like to know when the newsstand issues for GR V2 stopped. I have seen as high as 75 
I think.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 7/7/2022 at 6:25 PM, fastballspecial said:

This is almost completely black NM copy (There is some blue at top) and is a newsstand.

excaliburblack.thumb.jpg.03977428ec77bc883b00b134b00535a8.jpg

:headbang: @fastballspecial edit is there a story though? Found in the wild?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/7/2022 at 6:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 7/7/2022 at 6:25 PM, fastballspecial said:

This is almost completely black NM copy (There is some blue at top) and is a newsstand.

excaliburblack.thumb.jpg.03977428ec77bc883b00b134b00535a8.jpg

Expand  

:headbang: @fastballspecial edit is there a story though? Found in the wild?

Edited 20 minutes ago by ADAMANTIUM

Yes found it this weekend in $1 box.

On 7/8/2022 at 2:56 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Nice! From this set (that I should have grabbed back in the day... :facepalm:):

585624068_supeshe-man.thumb.jpg.84e2d200420f5018715d6176910c22d4.jpg

Well I am not so sure. From what I know about it that was supposed to be what happened, but If you look at the comic
the image doesn't match. From what I have read and know I think this was a promotional giveaway later even though
it was advertised to be with the toys. 

First copy I have ever seen in the wild. In fact I wasn't even sure it existed until some price websites listed it as existing.
Anyone have any more info on it?

On 7/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, fastballspecial said:

Well I am not so sure. From what I know about it that was supposed to be what happened, but If you look at the comic
the image doesn't match. From what I have read and know I think this was a promotional giveaway later even though

First copy I have ever seen in the wild. In fact I wasn't even sure it existed until some price websites listed it as existing.

I did find one on eBay that looks like yours, and the CGC note says it's the toy pack-in version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/175083915371?hash=item28c3d0886b:g:srMAAOSwbkdhyf4m

On 7/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, fastballspecial said:

I can't say whether any copies were ever packed in with that toy set, but I do know that mattycollector.com gave away at least some copies of this book as promotional items, probably around the same time the toy released.

Its entirely possible that the books were delayed and the first tranche of toys didn't have them included, necessitating give-aways. Mattycollector had no shortage of production, shipping, and technical issues during it's 8ish year run (including being caught in Digital River's enormous security breach). So it certain seems plausible.

Regardless, fantastic find in the wild. However they were distributed, those suckers are rare.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:13 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I did find one on eBay that looks like yours, and the CGC note says it's the toy pack-in version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/175083915371?hash=item28c3d0886b:g:srMAAOSwbkdhyf4m

Right I read that too, but if you go to Mycomicshop, or some other online sites they say the opposite. 
So I am really not sure which is correct, but like Qaylar says above either way they are tough to find. 

image.thumb.png.8c7d0d6f361b506f064c9853dcfc165b.png

Edited by fastballspecial

On 7/8/2022 at 9:26 PM, fastballspecial said:

Right I read that too, but if you go to Mycomicshop, or some other online sites they say the opposite. 
So I am really not sure which is correct, but like Qaylar says above either way they are tough to find. 

Oh, I see what you're saying now - interesting!

On 7/8/2022 at 9:26 PM, fastballspecial said:

I found an unboxing of the 2-pack from 2010 on YouTube, and the comic was in there - info on the comic is at the 4:30 mark:

Edited by Jesse-Lee