• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2022 at 8:08 AM, Qalyar said:

Primortals actually went to 15 issues, plus a 2-issue prequel, with Tekno. Then it was revived for another 8 issue run with Big Entertainment. They're not great, but you can tell that there could have been a good comic book there. Leonard Nemoy more or less wrote the outline for the story, which was then handed off to... whoever Tekno managed to pay at the time, I guess, for scripting and art. The latter, in particular, is really uneven as a result. Regardless, there are quite a few names attached to this book that have had significant careers. In particular, the first couple books were scripted by Kate Worley, who is unquestionably best known as the creator of Omaha the Cat Dancer.

What I didn't know was that this book had newsstand distribution. I feel pretty confident in describing the newsstand run of this title as "rare, but valueless". Cool find from the wild, though!

I agree never seen a copy ever. That being said dont know anyone asking for it either.

On 3/26/2022 at 2:02 AM, fastballspecial said:

Okay have your answer now. I am saying no. Gambit origins came out in 2009. The indicia states
this this came out in 2011 so I think some sort of Hasbro insert.

Correct. It was packed with the Marvel Universe 2 pack Gambit / MrSinister (the 3.75" collection) from Hasbro

On 3/27/2022 at 9:51 AM, Morganmi said:

oh cool I knew it was a variant cover but not that it connected to others. I'll be on the lookout for the others. Thanks!

They were kind of hot back when they came out (like Hansel).  

Patrick

On 4/1/2022 at 9:58 PM, Morganmi said:

Here's a couple books I never knew existed. lol

20220331_114643.jpg

20220401_223941.jpg

20220401_225223.jpg

That Lords of Misrule is the collected edition, republishing all six issues originally published by Dark Horse. It's a half-decent horror book that could have been so much better with tighter scripting and a little better artwork.

I don't see the 7 issue Elvis Presley Experience very often. I'm not sure I've ever seen a complete set, or maybe #7 at all. At some point, someone cared about this book, though, because there are two printings of #1 (distinguished only by the indicia as far as I remember). I honestly have no idea if there's a market for this sort of book these days.

And the last one is the Grendel ashcan. Neat little book, and almost certainly the "best" of the three, as Grendel still has a following. These aren't super scarce but there aren't tons available either. Looks like a pretty solid copy there, as well.

On 4/2/2022 at 12:08 AM, Qalyar said:

That Lords of Misrule is the collected edition, republishing all six issues originally published by Dark Horse. It's a half-decent horror book that could have been so much better with tighter scripting and a little better artwork.

I don't see the 7 issue Elvis Presley Experience very often. I'm not sure I've ever seen a complete set, or maybe #7 at all. At some point, someone cared about this book, though, because there are two printings of #1 (distinguished only by the indicia as far as I remember). I honestly have no idea if there's a market for this sort of book these days.

And the last one is the Grendel ashcan. Neat little book, and almost certainly the "best" of the three, as Grendel still has a following. These aren't super scarce but there aren't tons available either. Looks like a pretty solid copy there, as well.

Thanks Qalyar! Yea the Grendel was in with a bag with a totally unrelated book and is NM. I carefully thumbed through it and it's a cool little history of Grendel so far with really nice artwork.

I must have somehow missed that Lords of Misrule when it came out or most likely just forgot about it. So much stuff coming out at that time. 

For a while I remember back in the day there were people who would buy anything and everything Elvis.  I'm guessing this was semi-collectable for a time but I honestly also don't remember seeing it at all back then or since. :facepalm:

Is this stuff even modern anymore?:bigsmile:

On 4/2/2022 at 10:32 AM, Morganmi said:

Thanks Qalyar! Yea the Grendel was in with a bag with a totally unrelated book and is NM. I carefully thumbed through it and it's a cool little history of Grendel so far with really nice artwork.

I must have somehow missed that Lords of Misrule when it came out or most likely just forgot about it. So much stuff coming out at that time. 

For a while I remember back in the day there were people who would buy anything and everything Elvis.  I'm guessing this was semi-collectable for a time but I honestly also don't remember seeing it at all back then or since. :facepalm:

Is this stuff even modern anymore?:bigsmile:

Lords of Misrule was easy to miss. There's a ton of forgettable Dark Horse miniseries to be fair.

That Presley series was put out by Revolutionary, the publisher better known for Rock N Roll comics. Their stuff was mostly not distributed through normal comic book distribution channels. They sold largely through music shops and Hot Topic-ish venues. So, they're comparatively unknown to us, but -- some of them, anyway -- have maintained interest via the memorabilia collecting communities.

And yeah, everything is Modern, haha!

Edited by Qalyar

So I found a whole bunch of these Combo Pack "variants". Not famiar with them so tried to do a search on it and all I found was an old closed thread here where people were getting all excited about them being hard to find and not much else.

Are these still considered hard to find? 

20220403_194153.jpg

On 4/3/2022 at 8:01 PM, Morganmi said:

So I found a whole bunch of these Combo Pack "variants". Not famiar with them so tried to do a search on it and all I found was an old closed thread here where people were getting all excited about them being hard to find and not much else.

Are these still considered hard to find? 

20220403_194153.jpg

some are hotter than others

I find they have a slight premium but gave up on searching them because it is individual, the jessica cruz GLs are good ones to look for

others should chime in as my experience was meh

On 4/3/2022 at 8:20 PM, Bird said:

some are hotter than others

I find they have a slight premium but gave up on searching them because it is individual, the jessica cruz GLs are good ones to look for

others should chime in as my experience was meh

Ha just started looking through some more and this one came up next. :bigsmile:

20220403_210435.jpg

On 4/3/2022 at 9:21 PM, Beastfeast said:

That's a good one, for sure.  Batman 6 has a bit of a bump, too. 

So a bunch of these are still in the combo pack bags? I don't really like the way they look in these and I've heard over time the bags sometimes cause creases or wear. Is there any reason to keep them in the bag and is there a general consensus on this?

20220403_220410.jpg

Edited by Morganmi

On 4/3/2022 at 9:10 PM, Morganmi said:

So a bunch of these are still in the combo pack bags? I don't really like the way they look in these and I've heard over time the bags sometimes cause creases or wear. Is there any reason to keep them in the bag and is there a general consensus on this?

20220403_220410.jpg

I buy them when I see them for $1 or less depending on title. The plastic they are sealed in is worthless
and completely brittle. Many copies just fall out of the plastic.