• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

On 11/8/2022 at 5:28 PM, PeterPark said:

It is Nesquik now...they still make it but I never bought it after the name change.

It was Quik in the US, Australia, and a couple other places, but Nesquik in most of the world from the beginning. In 1998 (I think) they decided to internationalize the brand and renamed it Nesquik everywhere.

On 11/8/2022 at 5:42 PM, Qalyar said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is not exactly, shall we say, any meaningful record of sales of this thing. MCS has never had a copy. MH has never had a copy. NewKadia doesn't list it. The GCD doesn't have an entry for it.

EDIT: CBR thinks it's worth one dolla, but I'd view that more as an example of how CBR didn't work to crowdsource FMV rather than anything about this book in particular. I am aware that there's one of these still available on eBay; that listing is, to my knowledge, the only eBay listing there's ever been for the book. Does that make it worth $1, ~$40 dollars, something in between, or more than that? Low demand for this sort of thing tends to keep prices really low until or unless a wider group of collectors suddenly decides to care, and then prices zoom to the moon as the realization that copies just aren't available sets in. Not that I expect that here, unless Quicky the Quik Bunny joins the DCEU or something.

Some comics are valuable because of their intrinsic qualities: art, story, characters, publisher. Others don't have enough of those qualities right now to attract interest. Later however, a different creative team can add value to the comic, even if the original was nothing special. With this product, the market isn't comic book collectors as much as people who collect advertising artifacts, like Coca-Cola signs. The difference between this and, for instance, the Carl Barks' Donald Duck Firestone giveaways is that Barks, as an artist and writer, combined with the Donald Duck character and the Walt Disney franchise, bring enough value to that advertising giveaway to create interest among comic book collectors. I don't see how a character created to advertise Nestle Quik will ever cross over to a comic book audience.

On 11/8/2022 at 6:17 PM, paqart said:

Some comics are valuable because of their intrinsic qualities: art, story, characters, publisher. Others don't have enough of those qualities right now to attract interest. Later however, a different creative team can add value to the comic, even if the original was nothing special. With this product, the market isn't comic book collectors as much as people who collect advertising artifacts, like Coca-Cola signs. The difference between this and, for instance, the Carl Barks' Donald Duck Firestone giveaways is that Barks, as an artist and writer, combined with the Donald Duck character and the Walt Disney franchise, bring enough value to that advertising giveaway to create interest among comic book collectors. I don't see how a character created to advertise Nestle Quik will ever cross over to a comic book audience.

Some of these weird promo books also end up mattering if they had a creative team that mattered. For this book, although the people involved have had successful careers and are known for more mainstream works -- J. Torres (Teen Titans Go!), Adam Archer (Gotham Academy), and Tony Aviña (Batman '66 among other things) -- I don't think that'll really matter; I don't think anyone collects J. Torres or Adam Archer.

On 11/15/2022 at 1:08 AM, littledoom said:

Found these late at a comic show in the 50 cent boxes 

0ABD4544-0A85-488D-A2E3-20E658A55719.thumb.jpeg.66f7caf9d190b0d2798c7f5005d5570a.jpeg

72149671-3A38-4F1A-8405-0AAB0D0337B9.thumb.jpeg.abcaec3d3ed50135979c3eedb3dcc54f.jpeg

Wow, great pick up on that Alien Isolation. Suffice to say I paid...considerably more...for mine. 

So sorry to chime in, but I do find this topic quite, odd?

It's books we just can't find in the wild... in the wild.

So, what are books that we can't find in the wild that aren't in the wild? How do we acquire them? Through collections?

The majority of books in this thread are found in the wild. hm

On 11/17/2022 at 6:40 AM, D2 said:

So, what are books that we can't find in the wild that aren't in the wild? How do we acquire them? Through collections?

It’s kinda like when a sports commentator says someone is out of this world even though they’re human 

On 11/17/2022 at 8:40 AM, D2 said:

It started out as a discussion about books people expected to see but rarely or never did and now it has become just another thread where people show off books that may or may not be that difficult to find in a desperate attempt to increase the size of... um, never mind. :whistle:

On 11/17/2022 at 9:40 AM, D2 said:

A more accurate title for the thread would be “Books that aren’t commonly found in the wild but have recently been found in the wild by board members who now want to share/discuss,” But that doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

On 11/17/2022 at 2:05 PM, andyborehol said:

A more accurate title for the thread would be “Books that aren’t commonly found in the wild but have recently been found in the wild by board members who now want to share/discuss,” But that doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

I've wondered about this myself more than once. When I find things "in the wild", interpreted as garage sales, flea markets, the town dump, etc, they are rarely ever the same thing. For instance, on one of my first trips to my town dump, I mentioned to the caretaker there that I had an interest in comics. He promptly pulled out a handful of discarded comics and gave them to me. One was a Giant-Size Man-Thing #4. Ever since I was a kid, I've loved that Frank Brunner cover. To me, that was the first and only time I'd ever found that comic "in the wild", though it is easily found online. Even a search of comic book stores would likely turn up a copy every once in a while. On that basis, it isn't that the comic is "never seen" in the wild but that I only found it in the wild once.
On the other end of the rarity spectrum, I once found and bought a box of Platinum Age comics at a flea market for $50. One of the comics was a Feature Book (NN) (MR. Tracy). At the time it was listed in Overstreet as a comic with less than 3 copies known to exist. The copy I found increased that number by 1. Although I found it in the wild, I seriously doubt many other people would find one that way. At the same time, I have the feeling that if another copy is found, it will have to be found in the wild.

When I post things here, the criteria is this: if a comic is hard to find online, or if I have been looking for something specific online without success, then find it in the wild, it belongs here. Those comics don't show up very often, so I rarely post here.

You are making a simple topic very difficult. 

These are books that you just dont see much out in the wild. Everyone had a different viewpoint, but pretty no one but
one person can deny many books in here are very difficult to find. I didn't say all because there are some books that 
one buyer has trouble finding while others seem to find several of easily.

For example I got beat to hell a few weeks back over Marvel Fall Special 1992. I never see this book, but the peanut
crowd tells me they have dozen of times. Sometimes its really regional.  

On 11/17/2022 at 1:05 PM, andyborehol said:

Everybody's a critic these days lol.

On 11/17/2022 at 5:36 PM, paqart said:

I've wondered about this myself more than once. When I find things "in the wild", interpreted as garage sales, flea markets, the town dump, etc, they are rarely ever the same thing. For instance, on one of my first trips to my town dump, I mentioned to the caretaker there that I had an interest in comics. He promptly pulled out a handful of discarded comics and gave them to me. One was a Giant-Size Man-Thing #4. Ever since I was a kid, I've loved that Frank Brunner cover. To me, that was the first and only time I'd ever found that comic "in the wild", though it is easily found online. Even a search of comic book stores would likely turn up a copy every once in a while. On that basis, it isn't that the comic is "never seen" in the wild but that I only found it in the wild once.
On the other end of the rarity spectrum, I once found and bought a box of Platinum Age comics at a flea market for $50. One of the comics was a Feature Book (NN) (MR. Tracy). At the time it was listed in Overstreet as a comic with less than 3 copies known to exist. The copy I found increased that number by 1. Although I found it in the wild, I seriously doubt many other people would find one that way. At the same time, I have the feeling that if another copy is found, it will have to be found in the wild.

When I post things here, the criteria is this: if a comic is hard to find online, or if I have been looking for something specific online without success, then find it in the wild, it belongs here. Those comics don't show up very often, so I rarely post here.

Everybody has a different viewpoint and thats perfectly fine. Your 2nd example applies your first example does not. 

On 11/17/2022 at 8:35 PM, fastballspecial said:

Everybody has a different viewpoint and thats perfectly fine. Your 2nd example applies your first example does not. 

Not that I suggested otherwise. I seem to remember posting images of a complete NM run of Pacific Comics' Groo here last year. I didn't post because they were groo, because it was the Pacific run, because it was the full set, or because they were all NM. I posted because they were all of those things. I find Groos fairly regularly in the wild. The Pacific Groos turn up much more rarely (I assume, because this is the only time I've found any). When I do find Groos (Epic) they are usually in bad shape and are found one or 2 at a time, usually with huge gaps between them. Finding all of those things together was a real surprise.

Groo Pacific.jpg

On 11/23/2022 at 1:13 PM, Michael Browning said:

Found in the wild, but almost impossible to ever find in the wild or online. None for sale on eBay and none for sale at Lone Star, so these are super rare.

14F4975D-D3F6-436D-AAAC-53CFAA898838.jpeg

That Orkin Exterminator book is a really rare find. I don't think very many were produced to begin with. Most of them were handed out by Orkin as promotional pieces; my third-hand understanding is that the intent was for them to be given to families with "comic book age" kids who had to be out of the house for terminate fumigation and similar services.

IMO wild = outside of eBay and auction houses; typically (but not always) in a forgotten $1 box or such.

Basically, "here is a scarce book I found while rummaging at a store / show / garage sale / estate sale / flea market" (and should havesome value; showing a bunch of scarce $1 books bought for $1 is blech but that's my interpretation).

On 11/23/2022 at 1:13 PM, Michael Browning said:

Found in the wild, but almost impossible to ever find in the wild or online. None for sale on eBay and none for sale at Lone Star, so these are super rare.

14F4975D-D3F6-436D-AAAC-53CFAA898838.jpeg

24D312BC-937B-49CB-8E64-25B15C521164.jpeg

On 11/23/2022 at 1:30 PM, Qalyar said:

That Orkin Exterminator book is a really rare find. I don't think very many were produced to begin with. Most of them were handed out by Orkin as promotional pieces; my third-hand understanding is that the intent was for them to be given to families with "comic book age" kids who had to be out of the house for terminate fumigation and similar services.

Speaking of which I found a Teen Titans "keebler issue" that is about not doing drugs, I thought about conversations with y'all, but I left it in the bin because I couldn't find much on it and I was in a rush :cheers:

Let me know something? lol