• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

It's just a newsstand edition, that's what defines the book. The price difference is trivial.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=398688&Number=9103030

Yes! This thread is essential for understanding modern newsstand price variants! :cloud9:

Alot of good info there minus a few lost pages of entertainment :-D

It's just a newsstand edition, that's what defines the book. The price difference is trivial.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=398688&Number=9103030

Yes! This thread is essential for understanding modern newsstand price variants! :cloud9:

Ok I finally read it.

It does indeed give me a better understanding.

Ok I finally read it.

Good. (thumbs u

I'm glad we at least got through to somebody.

I have no idea what the market value is, but it seems to be a newsstand that doesn't pop up, that's all. And in his market that usually means some people will pay some extra bucks for it.

As you get closer and closer to say past 2000 or so newsstands become very difficult to find and still are. I personally know several buyers that will pay well above currently market for NM copy of a newsstand book.

Whats the ratio now anyone know? I am guessing 90/10. If it wasn't for Barnes and Nobles and Books a Million the newsstand contract might have completely gone away by now I think.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Here is one off the top of my head that I know Iook for, but never find. I mean, finding any of them in the $1 bins/back issue bins is hard enough even at a inflated price. The book I speak of is Jason vs. Leatherface (Topps #3). I have stumbled across two copies of #1 (7.5 and 9.2 respectively), one nice copy of #2, but never, ever, see #3. The #1's and 2's were had in cheapo boxes just by pure luck on my part;aka diving waaaaay too many boxes than is healthy I'm suspecting. lol

Maybe others in different geo. regions have better luck with these??

250342-19938-119346-1-jason-vs-leatherface.jpg

Only once. I picked up a set in $1 boxes in Florence, SC two years ago at a con.

Ok I finally read it.

Good. (thumbs u

I'm glad we at least got through to somebody.

Yes. Even though I been collecting since the 80's I find this forum to be the best and only one I actively decided to participate in.

You guys a a very difficult bunch but that's what I respect.

I use sarcasm sometimes but I respect everyone here and appreciate the different views and information.

Thank you.

Edited by Juice Head

I'm inquiring about a book that I saw was posted months ago.

Static 45 milestone/DC

I'm very curious as to the rarity of these "last issues" by milestone.

I found it on comicrom Jan 1997 at 4,767.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1997/1997-01.html

I've read a lot about print number discrepancies and how it is not posable to quote a "printed number"...So I am in no way saying this is true or accurate.

Just looking for ideas and views. I own a copy and am interested in finding a very high grade for submission. I do see them on Ebay (not in the condition being claimed) I do not want to waste time and effort if it's not worth it.

So please any ideas on an accurate market value, print number, or anything else worth noting.

Thanks

Edited by Juice Head

Static 45 milestone/DC

I've read a lot about print number discrepancies and how it is not posable to quote a "printed number"...So I am in no way saying this is true or accurate.

Just looking for ideas and views. I own a copy and am interested in finding a very high grade for submission. I do see them on Ebay (not in the condition being claimed) I do not want to waste time and effort if it's not worth it.

So please any ideas on an accurate market value, print number, or anything else worth noting.

Thanks

well the last ebay auction at the end of oct went for $15.50 and that was graded VF-. It looks like an NM raw would cost you $25-$55

, maybe more as its pretty rare to find in high grade. And with only 1 CGC 9.8 and 1 CGC 9.6 on the registry, I wouldn't be surprised if a CGC 9.8 set you back $125-$200+. Its not the most popular character/comic ever, but most collectors know it to be rare, especially in high grade.

This analysis is mostly conjecture, but that's how I would view it...in terms of hunting for a high grade copy, there's some people you can pay to hunt for copper comics....

Static 45 milestone/DC

Thanks

You are chasing the "white whale" of modern/late copper comics. Several copies have surfaced due to this thread I think. However this book is extremely difficult to find anywhere even on ebay there are only a few. Ive doubles of 40,41,42, and 43 , but 44 and 45 I never see.

Same goes for Hardware 50 which I buy every chance I can find it(Which is no often), because its going to be just as hard to find one of these days if they reboot Milestone.

Static 45 milestone/DC

Thanks

well the last ebay auction at the end of oct went for $15.50 and that was graded VF-. It looks like an NM raw would cost you $25-$55

, maybe more as its pretty rare to find in high grade. And with only 1 CGC 9.8 and 1 CGC 9.6 on the registry, I wouldn't be surprised if a CGC 9.8 set you back $125-$200+. Its not the most popular character/comic ever, but most collectors know it to be rare, especially in high grade.

This analysis is mostly conjecture, but that's how I would view it...in terms of hunting for a high grade copy, there's some people you can pay to hunt for copper comics....

Ok. Well here's the whole story. I will not buy from ebay and been burned befor. I'm having trouble believing there advertised NM for an asking price of 25.00 adds up.

The dealers know how hard it is in high grade and I'm certain most would sub it or ask much more with really good pics.

I have a guy in Brooklyn selling an unread set of 1-45 (platinum edition all included). The 45 in that set is perfect with the exception of a small non-color breaking ding on the upper right corner that effects 1st 3-4 pages. It's pressable for certain (I've never had a book pressed).

Asking price is a firm 200.00. I'm willing to offer 175.00....well maybe.

I have no desire for the set and do not sell comics (unless maybe sell them on ebay to make some money back?)

I do not know what is the best choice. I usually have a 50.00 limit or so on a book. If it's more? And I do not have it?? Then I accept "I missed the boat".

I just really want this book and slabbed. I love the painted cover and trying to get a true idea of its rarity for a mainstream comic in order to convince myself I should buy.

Thanks for all the input (that's includes everyone)

Edited by Juice Head

Static 45 milestone/DC

Thanks

You are chasing the "white whale" of modern/late copper comics. Several copies have surfaced due to this thread I think. However this book is extremely difficult to find anywhere even on ebay there are only a few. Ive doubles of 40,41,42, and 43 , but 44 and 45 I never see.

Same goes for Hardware 50 which I buy every chance I can find it(Which is no often), because its going to be just as hard to find one of these days if they reboot Milestone.

Yes...I was not aware I was chasing the white whale though it's kinda obvious now that I'm really wanting it.

Like I said. I have a copy I bought because I used to read the series. It would grade no better than a 6.5-7.

I love the book and have it hanging in my work space at home.

I'm new here...and going back I saw it was posted here. That just made my fervor for a pristine copy boil lol.

I have never seen it as a "back issue" in shops with the exception of a NM unread set.

I'm afraid to wait on it. If they reboot (and that's still in the works) or make an announcement for animation or easter egg for movie? Then I'm done!

That's as close to a print number as you're going to get.

Value is hard to say as they don't come up often. Seems to be more on the bay now than any one time I remember checking in the past.

Just saying, there is one copy up right now at a big price. Also, why was the new stand $1.50 and the regular $1.95? I thought newsstands were usually the same or more?

I don't have a horse in the race. Of course, I like the cover and such. I just think it's probably a bit more than a $5 book, that's all.

That's as close to a print number as you're going to get.

Value is hard to say as they don't come up often. Seems to be more on the bay now than any one time I remember checking in the past.

Just saying, there is one copy up right now at a big price. Also, why was the new stand $1.50 and the regular $1.95? I thought newsstands were usually the same or more?

I don't have a horse in the race. Of course, I like the cover and such. I just think it's probably a bit more than a $5 book, that's all.

They've moved on. They're talking about Static 45 now, not Newsstands that happen to have a different price than Directs.

But to answer your question, the Direct editions for those books used better paper, which is why they were more expensive.

Static 45 milestone/DC

Thanks

I would think you're looking at more than $200 for a 9.8, being as there is only one. As was mentioned a few pages back, hard to find 9.8's can pull some good cash.

I would pay 200 for a graded 9.8. I'm considering a 200 buck set just for a strong 9.8 candidate lol

I think this book is amazing. The stories and art were always good. That painted Moebeus cover is COSMIC!

The more I research and think about the numbers? The more I realize the gravity of this issue.

The interesting thing is...if this character has a future "breakthrew" (and that is a strong possibility) then this book will become unattainable for someone like myself.

I can't believe I'm willing to pay what I would pay.

I've never paid over 50 bucks for a book and I never mind "missing the boat".

This book is intriguing.

Static 45 milestone/DC

Thanks

I would think you're looking at more than $200 for a 9.8, being as there is only one. As was mentioned a few pages back, hard to find 9.8's can pull some good cash.

And getting the owner to sell it will probably cost you more. Most I know that have a 9.8 of that book or a very nice raw just wont sell it.

It usually took them a long time to find it.

All stop now so I don't get more hate mail about discussing this book. lol

Edited by Fastballspecial