• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

Ill have a new addition to this thread in 4 days (as soon as I win it in an auction)

Merry Christmas!

Here you go

I always love your submissions, but this one left me meh

Ha well everyone has they're preferences. (thumbs u

I like the idea and the creative talent behind that book more so than appreciating its scarcity attributes. If this was simply a google brochure that had been circulating at some point in time I don't think I would pay any attention to it even if there was only one copy around

I was pleased when I got a nice 24 out of a bug dealer's $2 boxes at nycc, but I suspect that may be the last time that ever happens

Nice side hustle for the bug dealer.

Bug dealers rule in good deals :grin:

I hear there is an entire industry based on killing those things. :roflmao:

P6Acli.gif

Ill have a new addition to this thread in 4 days (as soon as I win it in an auction)

Merry Christmas!

Here you go

I'm glad you got it though like Fastballspecial, I can't say I've ever seen or heard of it....

...which means it will probably be worth about $12,000 raw this time next year lol

Do any of these count?

nGrbm0dl.jpg

I've owned and sold probably 15 copies of Ghost Rider 94. While it isn't an issue you find in every shop, there are stores that bought lots of those and they never sold, so they are sitting in back issue bins.

Now, a Ghost Rider 93 is a really tough one to find these days. You know a comic is selling high when webuycomics.com is buying them for $26 each.

Never seen the Cyblade-Shi before.

And I've owned at least a couple of the She-Hulk 60s. It's a bit tough to find and can sell high.

Last issues, particularly those of 1990s-to-early-2000s Marvels, are generally hard to find.

Last issues for War Machine, Ghost Rider, Conan the Barbarian, She-Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy, Silver Surfer, Marvel Comics Presents, New Warriors, the Punisher titles, Alpha Flight, Force Works and others are tough to find and increasing in price.

Some are rarer than others and are in more demand. Nice, high-grade copies of GR 93, Punisher 100-104 and Guardians of the Galaxy 62 can sell for big bucks.

As for DC, I see a few New Teen Titans 130s around, but they are getting harder and harder to find.

The last issue of Swamp Thing, #171, is tough and I never see those last 10 issues in boxes in any stores.

I rarely find Doom Patrol 18 in shops. In 25 years of looking, I have found two copies.

And the last issue of Doom Patrol, #87, is tough to find, too.

Soooo many dealers bought last issues in the 90s because at the time the cat was already out of the bag and dealers knew these will sell at a premium. Chuck R used to advertise this in EVERY newssletter.. Even NM#100 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Now if youre talking she-hulk, you really wanna find this one:

s_l1600.jpg

Soooo many dealers bought last issues in the 90s because at the time the cat was already out of the bag and dealers knew these will sell at a premium. Chuck R used to advertise this in EVERY newssletter.. Even NM#100 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

s_l1600.jpg

I strongly disagree with the statement that "soooo many dealers bought last issues in the 90s because at the time the cat was already out of the bag and dealers knew these will sell at a premium." I don't know many DEALERS who subscribed to the Mile High Comics newsletter. A comic like NM 100 was ordered heavily, because it was heading into X-Force 1. A comic like Conan the Barbarian 275 was not ordered heavily. Neither was Ghost Rider 93 -- because retailers didn't know it was the last issue.

Those last issues are rare because those series' sales numbers had dropped so low that they were past Marvel's cutoff point and no one was ordering them.

I don't know a single retailer who bought to speculate on last issues at that time -- or many who do that now. When no one is buying a comic, retailers don't increase their orders for speculative purposes that far in the future. I mean, some of these ARE JUST NOW INCREASING IN PRICE, meaning a lot of retailers would have had to have gambled on the long game instead of wanting to make the fast profit and were stuck with back stock they either didn't sell or tried selling at cheap prices to make room for more stock that sold quickly.

Retailers don't sit on new comics for two decades with the hopes that they will eventually increase in value. They want to sell new comics now to make their money as quickly as they can. So, to say that a lot of retailers bought last issues doesn't make any sense and the fact that there are so few of these last issues in back issue bins in shops is proof that the print runs on those final issues were very low.

Edited by MichaelBrowning

s_l1600.jpg

I strongly disagree with the statement that "soooo many dealers bought last issues in the 90s because at the time the cat was already out of the bag and dealers knew these will sell at a premium." I don't know many DEALERS who subscribed to the Mile High Comics newsletter. A comic like NM 100 was ordered heavily, because it was heading into X-Force 1. A comic like Conan the Barbarian 275 was not ordered heavily. Neither was Ghost Rider 93 -- because retailers didn't know it was the last issue.

Those last issues are rare because those series' sales numbers had dropped so low that they were past Marvel's cutoff point and no one was ordering them.

I don't know a single retailer who bought to speculate on last issues at that time -- or many who do that now. When no one is buying a comic, retailers don't increase their orders for speculative purposes that far in the future. I mean, some of these ARE JUST NOW INCREASING IN PRICE, meaning a lot of retailers would have had to have gambled on the long game instead of wanting to make the fast profit and were stuck with back stock they either didn't sell or tried selling at cheap prices to make room for more stock that sold quickly.

Retailers don't sit on new comics for two decades with the hopes that they will eventually increase in value. They want to sell new comics now to make their money as quickly as they can. So, to say that a lot of retailers bought last issues doesn't make any sense and the fact that there are so few of these last issues in back issue bins in shops is proof that the print runs on those final issues were very low.

I think youre confusing dealers with flippers today. Dealers like Chuck, till this day, have stock to sell. Thats their business, theyre not some kid in a basement buying books to flip on eBay.

Dealers dont buy from dealers, just like Chuck, there were many other comic book shop owners that ordered heavily on these final issues because they knew they could price them accordingly.

That does not mean that they are rare as much as it doesnt mean that they are worthless.

The point is, that what you are saying was a known fact EVEN back in the 90s

Do any of these count?

nGrbm0dl.jpg

Ive never seen that Teaser book ever.

The other 2 are hard to find, but Ive seen several copies of each.

I actually found a couple of the Teaser books very recently.

That Sensational She-Hulk #40 is one I had no idea about.

Any others I should be on the lookout for?

Do any of these count?

nGrbm0dl.jpg

Ive never seen that Teaser book ever.

The other 2 are hard to find, but Ive seen several copies of each.

I actually found a couple of the Teaser books very recently.

That Sensational She-Hulk #40 is one I had no idea about.

Any others I should be on the lookout for?

She Hulk 52 seems to be tough to find. I never see it.

I think youre confusing dealers with flippers today. Dealers like Chuck, till this day, have stock to sell. Thats their business, theyre not some kid in a basement buying books to flip on eBay.

Dealers dont buy from dealers, just like Chuck, there were many other comic book shop owners that ordered heavily on these final issues because they knew they could price them accordingly.

That does not mean that they are rare as much as it doesnt mean that they are worthless.

The point is, that what you are saying was a known fact EVEN back in the 90s

I don't think it's so much confusing dealers with flippers. Rather, it's using dealers interchangeably with retailers/comic shops. Sure, a lot of comic shops are probably dealers as well. However, those who rely on new comics for majority of their income would probably prefer to sell stock quickly rather than tie up capital on old stock in the hopes of the comic appreciating.

Ghost Rider #93 may be selling for $30-90 now but during that 18-year period, the retailer could have used the funds to buy comics that sell quickly and dependably. Let's say the retailer makes $1 per comic and they sell every month, over the years, that would have net them $200+.