• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

Women Of Marvel One-Shots, actually found the Namora one today, first time I've ever seen a copy in a shop. Haven't spotted a Lady Deadpool in a couple of years

Ive only seen the She Hulk and ASM Variants in person. There are several I have never seen in hand. Namora, Black Widow, DoomWar, Lady Deadpool and so on. You would think you find them more often.

Soooo many dealers bought last issues in the 90s because at the time the cat was already out of the bag and dealers knew these will sell at a premium. Chuck R used to advertise this in EVERY newssletter.. Even NM#100 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Now if youre talking she-hulk, you really wanna find this one:

s_l1600.jpg

Many thanks. I picked up one of these today in my wanderings, and wouldn't have given it a second thought if not for your heads-up.

Soooo many dealers bought last issues in the 90s because at the time the cat was already out of the bag and dealers knew these will sell at a premium. Chuck R used to advertise this in EVERY newssletter.. Even NM#100 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

s_l1600.jpg

Many thanks. I picked up one of these today in my wanderings, and wouldn't have given it a second thought if not for your heads-up.

(thumbs u

s_l1600.jpg

Of course you did, because it's not hard to find. It doesn't belong in this thread.

However, looking at recent eBay sales, it does belong in the "heating up" thread.

1999? That hardly qualifies as "early" for Adam Hughes.

I can't find a single copy anywhere on the internet and eBay hasn't had a copy to sell in a long time because there's no Sold listings for it.

It looks like very early Hughes, so maybe it was an early piece by him that was used later on. I see David Campiti listed as one of the writers. David is a friend of mine and I will ask him about this comic. Maybe it's old inventory from the Innovation Comics company that was published in 1999.

Hmmmm... this comic is a mystery to me, but I will try to get some answers to post here.

I want to know how dc got moebius to do the cover on static 45, a book that would sell less than 5,000 copies. Wouldn't paying him to do the cover pretty much consume the entire budget on a book that would go on to gross DC like 3 grand or did they think his name would sell some extra copies?

s_l1600.jpg

Of course you did, because it's not hard to find. It doesn't belong in this thread.

However, looking at recent eBay sales, it does belong in the "heating up" thread.

I want to know which last issues were selling for a premium in the mid to late 90s that would serve as a basis for dealers to load up on extra copies of failed titles and risk their rent money? Chuck pumping something doesnt mean anyone else cared, he was trying to create a market that didnt exist for another 10 years. Obviously we have no ebay sales data, was wizard listing these at a premium price? I would understand it for senimentality reasons for a long running series like conan, superman, etc., but for some title that lasted less than a decade or was third tier? Defenders last issue has been and continues to be worthless, only recently has powerman/if moved up and the list goes on. True, the print runs on those last issues were probably hefty, by today's standards, so there is no reason.

Edited by the blob

I want to know which last issues were selling for a premium in the mid to late 90s that would serve as a basis for dealers to load up on extra copies

&

Chuck pumping something doesnt mean anyone else cared, he was trying to create a market that didnt exist for another 10 years

Wrong.

of the top of my head:

MTU 150, Flash 350, JLA 261, secret origins 50, superman 423.. Also I remember justice 32 (yup New Universe drek) was pumped by Chuck almost immediately after it came out bcs of the unauthorized Joker appearance.. Also deaths head 9 & 10 were selling for $20 a pop at the time..

Chuck pumping something only means one thing: he had loaded up on stock and wanted to make money. Much like flippers do deceivingly today.. Only difference was/is he is honest about it lol

What you need to understand is that people like Chuck buy smart. They get books at pennies on the dollar from back inventories. So, again, the only thing dealers need to know are what the trends are. Your LCS would NOT get the same deals as he does, I said that time and time again and you keep mentioning it again

What you need to understand is that people like Chuck buy smart. They get books at pennies on the dollar from back inventories. So, again, the only thing dealers need to know are what the trends are. Your LCS would NOT get the same deals as he does, I said that time and time again and you keep mentioning it again

Quite likely, those comics Chuck is paying pennies on the dollar for are from LCS that are going out of business due to over purchasing stuff they can't sell. Alas, unlike Chuck, they don't have a newsletter and a rabid following upon which to pump 'n dump. :eyeroll:

Edited by aerischan

I want to know which last issues were selling for a premium in the mid to late 90s that would serve as a basis for dealers to load up on extra copies

&

Chuck pumping something doesnt mean anyone else cared, he was trying to create a market that didnt exist for another 10 years

Wrong.

of the top of my head:

MTU 150, Flash 350, JLA 261, secret origins 50, superman 423.. Also I remember justice 32 (yup New Universe drek) was pumped by Chuck almost immediately after it came out bcs of the unauthorized Joker appearance.. Also deaths head 9 & 10 were selling for $20 a pop at the time..

Chuck pumping something only means one thing: he had loaded up on stock and wanted to make money. Much like flippers do deceivingly today.. Only difference was/is he is honest about it lol

Mtu 150, Flash 350, JLA 261, etc were (and sort of still are) dollar box books. They were also not really a cancelled series. Each was rebooted, although Mtu became web. None of them were dead titles with very low print runs. I know the early deaths head books were selling for a chunk in the early 90s because they brought back the character for a bit. Nothing you are referring to shows me that dealers had a financial incentive to load up on last issues. To be fair, I think they may be overhyped and often their circulation numbers are no lower than the prior few issues and maybe slightly better as they sometimes do something "special" that may garner more sales.

As for chuck, sure, maybe he bought all the returns of last issues whenever he could, but no, he was not ordering 1,000 extra copies of ghost rider 93 thinking it might eventually be a $5 book. He is buying the inventory of failed dealers.

My local shop wouldn't pay more than 5 cents a book for anything other than sa, fa, and some later keys. He also bought out shops and would blow it out at shows. Not anything like chuck, of course.

I have also been next to chuck as he goes through the same cheap - o boxes I do, watching him try to haggle dolgoff down on a stack of $3 books (unsuccessfully). He is also out of stock on a lot of decent books despite his millions of comics.

&

Wrong.

of the top of my head:

Mtu 150, Flash 350, JLA 261, etc were (and sort of still are) dollar box books. They were also not really a cancelled series. Each was rebooted, although Mtu became web. None of them were dead titles with very low print runs. I know the early deaths head books were selling for a chunk in the early 90s because they brought back the character for a bit. Nothing you are referring to shows me that dealers had a financial incentive to load up on last issues. To be fair, I think they may be overhyped and often their circulation numbers are no lower than the prior few issues and maybe slightly better as they sometimes do something "special" that may garner more sales.

As for chuck, sure, maybe he bought all the returns of last issues whenever he could, but no, he was not ordering 1,000 extra copies of ghost rider 93 thinking it might eventually be a $5 book. He is buying the inventory of failed dealers.

My local shop wouldn't pay more than 5 cents a book for anything other than sa, fa, and some later keys. He also bought out shops and would blow it out at shows. Not anything like chuck, of course.

I have also been next to chuck as he goes through the same cheap - o boxes I do, watching him try to haggle dolgoff down on a stack of $3 books (unsuccessfully). He is also out of stock on a lot of decent books despite his millions of comics.

All of the books I mentioned were final issues which showed value appreciation. They were not dollar bin books. Some became dollar bins later on. But they were always fairly easy to find as you mentioned - which is exactly my point. Always have been my point.

Im not here to "speculate" on why they appreciated where other last issues havent, but just to demonstrate that that was a known spec. VERY well know spec.

And no one EVER said chuck ordered thousands of those. I nor anyone here would know.

We can assume, according to suggestive distribution reportings, that there werent thousands printed nor distributed, but to conclude that thats a fact is a blatant lie which keeps on being repeated on these boards many many many times.

And yeah, Chuck always had first dibs, as well as Joe, and Leanne, and many others that you or me are probably not aware of

Looked for a long time to find a 1st print of this book

1Vv6ebQl.jpg

???

How is that a "1st print?"

1st print of that edition!

Yeah I can see the issue here since this is the one shot edition of the original 1995 which I have never found either.

I could have phrased it better I guess. I always thought the white cover was the 2nd print of this book, but its not its a 2nd print of the 1995 book. Hope that's clear as mud. :insane:

I lucked out and found a first edition for I think $28 at a used bookstore last year. I found this edition that is quoted for $5 at a local store shortly after... a few months later, I paid $15 for the Punisher skull variant at a 2nd and Charles. I'm now looking for the other versions. Those are the only ones I've seen in person.

Any one have an estimate on the print run of any of the versions of this book? I'd imagine most are kept in personal collections...

I found the Punisher Skull variant at a flea market a couple of weeks ago... it was listed at $20, but I paid $10 in a half price sale. That's the only time I've ever seen any print in the wild.

Yeah I just don't see the book at all any print. I mean it sells well, but when I go to shows I never see it even the reprints.

Funny timing... I was just at a used record/comic shop looking for some records. Having just looked through their back issue inventory last weekend, I didn't really focus on the comics. By chance, looking through the misc. "P" section, I found the Steve Dillon cover reprint with the white background for $10. It felt funny to me, so I had the owner open it up at the counter to make sure it wasn't water damage... it was just shoved into a bag that was too small for this type of book. I guess the only ones I lack now are the Dillon cover with the gray background, newsstand edition of the 08 reprint, and the Museum Edition (which I doubt I'll ever get), unless I'm missing something.

Edited by BishopT