• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,399 posts in this topic

Taking a leave of absence from the horror thread this week to bring you a trio of pre-code fantasy from the remarkable River City collection: House of Mystery 11, Strange Adventures 16, and Star Spangled Comics 129. Enjoy.

HOM011-RC-2.jpg

SA016-RC-2.jpg

SSC129-RC-2.jpg

SSC129-RC-2.jpg

Neat cover - and Black Orchid prototype? I've long wondered if Neil Gaiman may have been inspired by this cover when he came up with the human plant origin for Black Orchid.

Not to forget Seymour Krelborn.

Jack

(FEEEEED me)

Very impressive!!! :applause:

But they'd look even better out of the slab. ;)

Taking a leave of absence from the horror thread this week to bring you a trio of pre-code fantasy from the remarkable River City collection: House of Mystery 11, Strange Adventures 16, and Star Spangled Comics 129. Enjoy.

SA016-RC-2.jpg

StrangeAdv.gif

lol:applause:

I'd call this a late Atomic Age book despite the 1957 date, but respecting the "traditional" Silver Age starting point I just posted some scans and questions over in the Silver Age 10¢ cover thread. Check over there if you're interested.

Jack

44209-JG6.jpg

I personally consider pretty much any non-superhero book with a dime cover price an "atom age" book.

I agree, but I didn't want to get the "What time did the Silver Age start?" zealots on my case. Not that people on the Gold forum would attack like they do on General.

Jack

I personally consider pretty much any non-superhero book with a dime cover price an "atom age" book.

I agree, but I didn't want to get the "What time did the Silver Age start?" zealots on my case. Not that people on the Gold forum would attack like they do on General.

Jack

They're more civil over here :grin:

Angelo

SA016-RC-2.jpg

StrangeAdv.gif

I love these things! Hey Flee, how many pre-hero Marvel covers have you animated?

Bill