• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

Rats - I have made a fool of old pov. Do not hate me. NOW I understand the "shadow" thing. It nis a worthy thing. Rats. Live long and prosper! frown.gif

I hate you!

.....does that make you feel more-better? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

poke2.gif

Rats - I have made a fool of old pov. Do not hate me. NOW I understand the "shadow" thing. It nis a worthy thing. Rats. Live long and prosper! frown.gif

I hate you!

poke2.gif

Yeah! I got the more-better blues! Yeehaaa! tongue.gif893naughty-thumb.gifgrin.gif

I hate you!

poke2.gif

Yeah! I got the more-better blues! Yeehaaa! tongue.gif893naughty-thumb.gifgrin.gif

Good!

You can sing them blues while you're staying in your "van down by the river!" makepoint.gif

I hate you!

poke2.gif

Good!

You can sing them blues while you're staying in your "van down by the river!" makepoint.gif

I hate you more each day! Come visit!

Pov

::in the spirit of the boards, my contributionj::

blkter20.jpg

Edited by povertyrow

I hate you!

poke2.gif

Good!

Pov

blkter20.jpg

Hey! Did you have that book pressed? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yay.gif

I hate you!

poke2.gif

Good!

Pov

blkter20.jpg

Hey! Did you have that book pressed? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yay.gif

OK - seriously - that is scary becauise the book has a full length light crease - almost like a subscription crease. It really does,

So now, Fuelarama! WHY would you ask that? Are you a PP (Psecret Psychic)? This is just too TWO strange. I fear I must report you to J Edgar's progeny. Your abilities may be invaluable!

And again - to be serious - it does have a full length crease. Is a good press candidate though as no color break in the crease! crazy.gif

Joanna,

I love the Sensation 94. thumbsup2.gif Some of the romance covers are silly but that is part of the allure.

I am glad Romance and Westerns had their glory days, which would have been around the mid fifties

Edited by Harvey Dude

770601-Detective208.jpg

In all the years that I've collected Batman and Detective, I've never seen that cover before. Very nice! thumbsup2.gif Let me know if you ever want to sell it. flowerred.gif

A beat-up, Sensation Comics #94 from the horrifying romance period.

770823-Sensation94-A.jpg

Thanks for helping us with the thread!

I've seen some of your posts elsewhere in the forum and was hoping at some point to create a thread enticing enough for you to contribute.

As for the "horrifying" super-hero romances, I love the Wonder Woman "romance" series in Sensation. If you have more of them, please post them when you get a chance!

I believe this was published in Nov 1950. Plastic Man 26

770847-PlasticMan26Front.jpg

That's a super nice copy! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

MH? Palo Alto?

Regardless, that's an excellent example of Jack Cole's more mature style.

Edited by adamstrange

Here's a few from the Salida thread:

721126-SSWS18.jpg

721119-GICombat27.jpg

723495-Battleground13.jpg724620-OFF32.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Thanks for helping us with the thread!

I've seen some of your posts elsewhere in the forum and was hoping at some point to create a thread enticing enough for you to contribute.

As for the "horrifying" super-hero romances, I love the Wonder Woman "romance" series in Sensation. If you have more of them, please post them when you get a chance!

I saw the 10c silver thread mentioned in Comics General and wandered over. When you guys started discussing this thread there, I decided to join in. I would've posted in the silver thread, but it seemed to be more about high grade books, and I was strictly a low to mid-grade kinda gal. Because this thread was new, I figured you wouldn't mind some of my not-so-high grades. If you don't mind beaters in the silver thread, I've got plenty more DCs I could post.

As for the Sensation romances, I deemed them 'horrifying' only because they made a character whose original purpose was the empowerment of women (with a big emphasis on independance, strength of character, etc.) into yet another "women are defined only by whether or not a man wants them" kind of book. To me, that was a sad development. It's not that I have anything against romances. I love a good romance, and got a big kick out of the romance comics I owned. I just don't want Wonder Woman to be solely focused on that. She's more important historically and symbollicly than what can be found in so narrow a definition.

-- Joanna

I love those covers, Joanna!

Thanks to another board member who alerted me to them, I saw that Metro has a few copies of that Detective, and purchased a 5.5 copy. I'll go broke if I stay around here much longer! 893whatthe.gifyay.gif