• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

As promised, Silver.

771039-Superboy30.jpg

771039-Superboy30.jpg.cd93689d39bda9c32d36bc305af9fa0a.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

771043-Adventure196.jpg

771043-Adventure196.jpg.ba62e08ae93c9b3d8a64c90196ff90ad.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Thanks for helping us with the thread!

I've seen some of your posts elsewhere in the forum and was hoping at some point to create a thread enticing enough for you to contribute.

As for the "horrifying" super-hero romances, I love the Wonder Woman "romance" series in Sensation. If you have more of them, please post them when you get a chance!

I saw the 10c silver thread mentioned in Comics General and wandered over. When you guys started discussing this thread there, I decided to join in. I would've posted in the silver thread, but it seemed to be more about high grade books, and I was strictly a low to mid-grade kinda gal. Because this thread was new, I figured you wouldn't mind some of my not-so-high grades. If you don't mind beaters in the silver thread, I've got plenty more DCs I could post.

As for the Sensation romances, I deemed them 'horrifying' only because they made a character whose original purpose was the empowerment of women (with a big emphasis on independance, strength of character, etc.) into yet another "women are defined only by whether or not a man wants them" kind of book. To me, that was a sad development. It's not that I have anything against romances. I love a good romance, and got a big kick out of the romance comics I owned. I just don't want Wonder Woman to be solely focused on that. She's more important historically and symbollicly than what can be found in so narrow a definition.

-- Joanna

In this thread and in the other 10cent thread we encourage everyone to post books. From what I've seen in my short time on the boards, the GA and SA forums are about comics, rather than grades. I collect high-grade copies, but I love comics so anything that you would like to post and comment on is of interest to me.

The reason I like those romance Sensations is because they are so different from the norm. It's the same reason I like the horror cross-over into super-heros -- which some folks also object to.

I've seen a few nice copies in person of the Sensations and they exude a wonderful innocence to romance compared to the cyncism of much of today's media. I can certainly see your point about the interior stories and the change to the character of WW, but since I don't have any copies it's not something that I have much knowledge of. I will definitely try and read one or two next chance I get. Michelle Nolan has commented on the difficulty of finding some of those books even in lower grades. Has that been your experience?

Also, we also love seeing interior art from comics, so if you feel comfortable scanning or taking a pictures, you'll find a ready audience.

Edited by adamstrange

What year/month is that issue?

Nov/Dec 1949.

GCD is down, so I was forced to get up out of my chair and pull my Gerber Guide down from the wall. After that exertion, I think I need a snack and nap!

BTW, for you Goldies who don't peruse the other sections, my website site is up!!!

I was among your first vistors as I dropped by shortly after midnight.

Edited by adamstrange

One of the things I find odd about Overstreet's Plasticman listings is that after all these years, with both Plas and Jack Cole considered greats of the GA, no one has (to my knowledge) bothered to figure out what Plasticman stories are reprinted in what issues. Thumbing through the Gerber it is pretty clear where cover stories began to get recycled, but are they all-reprint issues?

Even Overstreet's listing of #26 as possibly being the last non-reprint is confusing, as it is clear from having read a few of the later issues that new stories continued to appear into the 50s, including many by Cole. Do they mean it might be the last issue with no reprints? I've kept a few of the Atom Age Plas' that I used to have because of the horror covers and the bizarre hybrid Cole stories where Plas battles commies in Korea or vampires and witches. Cool Stuff - stylistically closer to his Web of Evil work than the 40s Plasticman stories. I suppose if the Archive editions continue to remain popular all may be revealed, but at one a year, I'll be too old to care by then.

Dang you Adam! You must sell that one to me! cloud9.gif

Very nice! One of my favorite covers!

It's the pre-cursor to the Jimmy Olsen as scaly fishman -- although both are a swipe from a pulp cover.

I believe my signature quote adequately address the "sale" question. flowerred.gif

One of the things I find odd about Overstreet's Plasticman listings is that after all these years, with both Plas and Jack Cole considered greats of the GA, no one has (to my knowledge) bothered to figure out what Plasticman stories are reprinted in what issues. Thumbing through the Gerber it is pretty clear where cover stories began to get recycled, but are they all-reprint issues?

Even Overstreet's listing of #26 as possibly being the last non-reprint is confusing, as it is clear from having read a few of the later issues that new stories continued to appear into the 50s, including many by Cole. Do they mean it might be the last issue with no reprints? I've kept a few of the Atom Age Plas' that I used to have because of the horror covers and the bizarre hybrid Cole stories where Plas battles commies in Korea or vampires and witches. Cool Stuff - stylistically closer to his Web of Evil work than the 40s Plasticman stories. I suppose if the Archive editions continue to remain popular all may be revealed, but at one a year, I'll be too old to care by then.

If we crack it out of the slab, maybe we could figure it out. devil.gif

You are asking good questions -- the only source I can think of might Howard Keltner's index. I know at one point I looked at it, but can't remember if it was on the web or on paper. Can anyone help out!

I'm ecstatic that they are reprinting Jack Cole in the Archives. Honestly, I NEVER thought I would see the day when that happened. I have been looking for Plas in comics from the very first time I put a wantlist together.

I've kept a few of the Atom Age Plas' that I used to have because of the horror covers and the bizarre hybrid Cole stories where Plas battles commies in Korea or vampires and witches.

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Edited by adamstrange

Steve Wilson, battling newsman of the Illustrated Press!

Basically, it's about a big city reporter in a variety of mystery, crime, and human interest stories.

The cover artist is Alex Toth, but, alas, he did not contribute to the interior art.

(I actually had this at the top of my stack to scan when I saw your post!)

771153-BigTown9.jpg

771153-BigTown9.jpg.18813f53d7fb77ae170ab550659f3273.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

In this thread and in the other 10cent thread we encourage everyone to post books. From what I've seen in my short time on the boards, the GA and SA forums are about comics, rather than grades. I collect high-grade copies, but I love comics so anything that you would like to post and comment on is of interest to me.

Cool! Then I might just have to mosey back over.

The reason I like those romance Sensations is because they are so different from the norm. It's the same reason I like the horror cross-over into super-heros -- which some folks also object to.

They are that, it's true.

I've seen a few nice copies in person of the Sensations and they exude a wonderful innocence to romance compared to the cyncism of much of today's media. I can certainly see your point about the interior stories and the change to the character of WW, but since I don't have any copies it's not something that I have much knowledge of.

Wonder Woman became a Dear Abby type, with a column for the lovelorn. Can you imagine if they had done that to Superman or Batman? They wouldn't, period. Wonder Woman is the premiere female superhero, and yet she's suffered many indignities in her long career. Not that they aren't without their charm. I love the wildly silly Wonder Family stories because they were goofy, charming, and so obviously written for children. It's just that Sensation had a great line-up of characters like Mr. Terrific and Wildcat, along with solid, interesting WW stories. When they changed the format, it was a second-to-last ditch effort to save the title (understandable, but a mistake). After the romances came the non-WW issues and cancellation.

I will definitely try and read one or two next chance I get. Michelle Nolan has commented on the difficulty of finding some of those books even in lower grades. Has that been your experience?

Extremely difficult. But then, I battled both finding books and being able to afford them, so many were difficult for me. I remember being ecstatic when I found a Sensation 11 for $20 (it was in terrible condition -- brittle pages and everything). For me, that was a huge find because it meant I could afford a really early Sensation.

Also, we also love seeing interior art from comics, so if you feel comfortable scanning or taking a pictures, you'll find a ready audience.

Since you're new, you probably never saw my Golden Age Reviews. Although the picture links are all dead on them by now. If I get sufficiently motivated, I could repost one with new links. Basically, I give a complete recap of the story, with many scanned panels. It's the next best thing to owning the books!

-- Joanna

Since you're new, you probably never saw my Golden Age Reviews. Although the picture links are all dead on them by now. If I get sufficiently motivated, I could repost one with new links. Basically, I give a complete recap of the story, with many scanned panels. It's the next best thing to owning the books!

-- Joanna

No, I haven't seen the reviews. I have had fun browsing old threads, but it's not always that easy to find the interesting ones.

As far as re-posting one:

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Re Big Town - if anyone cared, they could also go back to the A Month in the Life thread entry for Big Town sorry.gif

At this point, this thread needs to get away from the Supers and get back to what it needs, a good ol' western book. Focus folks, focus... This one is 1951.

771196-PWC88s.jpg

771196-PWC88s.jpg.bd169e3ccbbac9fa2831572945705b67.jpg

sorry.gif

I should have referred Mark to your post.

Here's the link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/rem...887&Main=728111

The cover artists are John Severin and Bill Elder, who were a team even before they came to EC.

Original color guide.

771236-PrizeWest88colorgd.jpg

771236-PrizeWest88colorgd.jpg.eaad757f1e5edad522d26905261fe2fe.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Original Color Proof -- which is even prettier than the scan. The scanners don't seem to be capture true green or lemon yellow.

If Scrooge hadn't already posted the comic, I'd provide a scan of my copy.

771239-PrizeWest88proof.jpg

771239-PrizeWest88proof.jpg.56736a97122d5b18deaa36fb6be1f2ee.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Some of the Western "stuff".

Alex Toth cover and art.

771249-JimmyWakely13.jpg

771249-JimmyWakely13.jpg.5227cd1dab5349f14d8ab167a1638b04.jpg

Edited by adamstrange