• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

Mailday with this Wild Boy issue, # 11 a.k.a. # 2. The little secret here is that Ziff-Davis paid very competitively, esp. once they brought in Siegel as editor and therefore was able to attract top talent freelancers to draw their books. This Wild Boy is a little too early for that effect to truly kick in but the art is competent.

102804.jpg.ee47eecefe47456e2d92cc139d24729a.jpg

Nothing wrong with a Saunders' cover. (thumbs u

Mailday with this Wild Boy issue, # 11 a.k.a. # 2. The little secret here is that Ziff-Davis paid very competitively, esp. once they brought in Siegel as editor and therefore was able to attract top talent freelancers to draw their books. This Wild Boy is a little too early for that effect to truly kick in but the art is competent.

That kid's feet must have been pretty messed up afterwards.

Western PA from '54 :o

I had no idea it went that far back with nice books!

Got this relatively recently. The oldest Western Penn in my collection.

tarzan5996westernpenn.jpg

I think Tom H has said that it goes all the way back to GA proper. I've seen nice copies from the 1950s, but they're sporadic.

I can't figure out the collection. There seems to be a pretty clear demarcation in the condition of SA DCs that I've seen around 1961 or so, where the issues from 1961 or earlier are VF to NM-, and then after that are consistently NM and NM+. But then you get these copies appearing from the 1950s that are in really high grade, so it appears the OO knew how to store the books properly well before 1961. Maybe it had something to do with the transition from the father to the son.

I think Tom H has said that it goes all the way back to GA proper. I've seen nice copies from the 1950s, but they're sporadic.

I can't figure out the collection. There seems to be a pretty clear demarcation in the condition of SA DCs that I've seen around 1961 or so, where the issues from 1961 or earlier are VF to NM-, and then after that are consistently NM and NM+. But then you get these copies appearing from the 1950s that are in really high grade, so it appears the OO knew how to store the books properly well before 1961. Maybe it had something to do with the transition from the father to the son.

That explains my puzzlement.