• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

This is Sale influenced by Maneely but still throwing in his own twist. :applause:

Didn't find any of the last 3 for the Month collection at B. Con but found 2 more Senate Investigation Board books which I didn't expect to as I was not actively looking for them -

I received # 8 today so I might as well post the few G.I. Janes I have. Tough-ish title as any one who chases it knows. Big kudos to JvR11 for the tip-off on the # 8 :hail: and thanks to 143ksk for the # 2 a while back.

Apparently I collect this title in geometric fashion as I have issues 2 4 and 8. Need a 1 now. :insane:

103947.jpg.077a282419467849814ea3433738a343.jpg

103948.jpg.80e19a8693a25e8de659b4a249033e07.jpg

103949.jpg.815067d9d05a5f1c76791921d244ce0c.jpg

I received # 8 today so I might as well post the few G.I. Janes I have. Tough-ish title as any one who chases it knows. Big kudos to JvR11 for the tip-off on the # 8 :hail: and thanks to 143ksk for the # 2 a while back.

Is the #8 the one where she's undressed? I saw that and almost bid, but the description said GD- even though the comic looked OK.

This comic is what happens if one of the Dizzy Dames joins the Army.

Is the #8 the one where she's undressed? I saw that and almost bid, but the description said GD- even though the comic looked OK.

This comic is what happens if one of the Dizzy Dames joins the Army.

That's the one. The comic has extensive water issue, you know ... the kind where you feel the whole book has been soaked at one point and you feel it when you hold it but otherwise, nice pages and presents well as you can see from the scan.

Having fun reading through my recent purchase of a stack of '50's coverless books, including the few Romance books in there.

Was wondering if you guys would like to venture art ID on these couple of pages.

First 2 pages are obviously same guy / story and then the splash of another from this unknown issue of Romantic Marriage. I have 2 names in mind but my ID skills are poor so I am not tipping my hands in order to 1) not influence you and 2) not appear foolish :blush:

103958.jpg.d815c8a92f1c9b84115ae94959bb5858.jpg

103959.jpg.d9df716b9811537b9fe1868cbd62b845.jpg

103960.jpg.dd9965cc267320f511eba6362d55a7ff.jpg

I think these belong here. I've decided that I really like the comics code EC titles. They certainly tried some interesting ideas. This Extra! #4 has a cool cover, almost like an early Adventure - but the stories are a touch flat. Aces High, on the other hand, is every bit as good as the pre-code war. This is #2. (Thanks, doohickmabob)

extra4.jpg

aces_high_2-1.jpg

First 2 pages are obviously same guy / story

George Tuska

George Tuska

Looks like Tuska to me as well - the profiles with the cheekbone lines next to the eyes are a giveaway.

(thumbs u His inking of faces is similar to Milton Caniff. Only Pete Morisi and Tuska would draw those two pages and the art is really good at times (especially the ladies :blush: ) so it has to be Tuska.

The second artist is a generic DC regular (as ZD editor Siegal recruited from there). Perhaps Sy Barry might have been involved? I spend my time looking at the good artists so I am far less useful identifying the average sort of artists.

I think these belong here. I've decided that I really like the comics code EC titles. They certainly tried some interesting ideas. This Extra! #4 has a cool cover, almost like an early Adventure - but the stories are a touch flat. Aces High, on the other hand, is every bit as good as the pre-code war. This is #2. (Thanks, doohickmabob)

aces_high_2-1.jpg

The art of many of those code issues is superb -- Aces High usually offers heavy doses of it starting with Evans' cover. :applause:

Could be Tuska. Maybe Fred Kida?

I am on board with the Tuska ID but since you mention Kida, here's a splash to a Kida story in Men in Action # 5 (thanks Mike) I read earlier this week from circa the same time period ('51-'52) and the romance pages are not Kida. I like the splash in its Crandallian mayhem -

103967.jpg.b6ac3b69067170699b99b488bc85e3c5.jpg

Are you suddenly becoming a fan of painted covers?

Ah! If only ... yes, I would love to get those nice painted Romantic Marriage covers but this copy is coverless lol

This is my favourite -cant get much more romantic!

RomanticMarriage850.jpg

Great looking book! I love the painted covers as well.

Ken

I am on board with the Tuska ID but since you mention Kida, here's a splash to a Kida story in Men in Action # 5 (thanks Mike) I read earlier this week from circa the same time period ('51-'52) and the romance pages are not Kida. I like the splash in its Crandallian mayhem -

That is one jumbled panel. Unless you know for sure who drew the romance pages, I wouldn't count Kida out on the basis of that story. He did some solid work for the later issues of Crime Does Not Pay that looks similar to the romance work.

Not saying the romance pages definitely are his work, just that they might be...

Here's some other Kida for consideration.

Here's some other Atlas work from Marvel Tales 105. Part 1...

104026.jpg.63db41737dedabbd9d26030319113eb1.jpg

104027.jpg.aebb8772404938c2a77d39e11858f097.jpg

104028.jpg.a4c1b62ccfe17bab928f2cbbd8b33c04.jpg