• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

Thank you for playing.

It's big George Evans. Hard to see with the lousy Canadian printing. He produced lots of other material for Fawcett at this time, including romance, horror, and Captain Video.

Not listed as such in the Guide.

None of the Bob Colts are indexed at comics.org.

Thanks for the info. No wonder you said I should get this. To be honest, it's clearer once you've said it but still it's not screaming Evans. But that has to do with my weak art spotting skills/ I wish I knew how to improve on that. Does it come down to looking long and hard at pages and pages or does my weakness come from my total lack of art / drawing skills? I know for example that Darth Corgi, Dr. Svord, Sweetybones, all great artists, have an easier time picking them out. I wish I was better :(

Thanks for the info. No wonder you said I should get this. To be honest, it's clearer once you've said it but still it's not screaming Evans. But that has to do with my weak art spotting skills/ I wish I knew how to improve on that. Does it come down to looking long and hard at pages and pages or does my weakness come from my total lack of art / drawing skills? I know for example that Darth Corgi, Dr. Svord, Sweetybones, all great artists, have an easier time picking them out. I wish I was better :(

Scrooge, you're too modest. You're one of the best and one of the founts of knowledge here. (worship)

Evans can be tricky, especially when he was turning out lengthy stories. Easy tells are the squarish upper bodies/chests, the solid figure drawing during fights/action, the slightly squarish eyes.

thanks, they are such great books. I dont even remember how I started collecting them.

The ones I am missing are very hard to find.

1 was just jolly expensive

14 I dont think there are any file copies, the highest out there is an 8.5 !

and 11 only gets to 9.4 with file copies

Metropolis has the OA to 11 up on the wall of their office in NYC :cloud9:

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_gallery.php?dir=gallery/gallery1&perpage=20&perrow=4&pagenum=3#

Yes, but it's one of Kurtzman's best artworks!

107173.jpg

Yes, but it's one of Kurtzman's best artworks!

107173.jpg

yes, of the covers seven is one of the best, 1 of 1 in 9.8 :acclaim:

could not believe it when I won it.

I got outbid on a 9.6 issue 1 in an HA auction

The ACG 3D run can fit right into the pre-code horror thread as well. That's my favorite mini-run of ACG because of the great stories and "black" pages sporting the psuedo-3D effect.

when I was a kid (a while back) Lanning's Book Shop over in San Diego had a shopping cart at the door filled with coverless precode comics for a penny apiece. the first thing I always did was check the stacks for truevision as the black spines would flash like dark lightning...

:bump:

Been a while since any one posted here.

Read this AAW tonight. Always solid art in these issues but, aside for the Johnny Thunder story, the stories are too short (7 pages) to be too developed and it suffers a bit from that. Still, an enjoyable comic book -

110310.jpg.9cbe9e634c2154ef7ab438550ff9bc8d.jpg