• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

First 2 pages are obviously same guy / story

George Tuska

Looks like Tuska to me as well - the profiles with the cheekbone lines next to the eyes are a giveaway.

(thumbs u His inking of faces is similar to Milton Caniff. Only Pete Morisi and Tuska would draw those two pages and the art is really good at times (especially the ladies :blush: ) so it has to be Tuska.

The second artist is a generic DC regular (as ZD editor Siegal recruited from there). Perhaps Sy Barry might have been involved? I spend my time looking at the good artists so I am far less useful identifying the average sort of artists.

I think Alan is probably right here.

Sy Barry was a very strong inker and tended to put his imprimature on the penciller's work - so that second one could just be Gill Kane pencils under Barry's inks.

I am on board with the Tuska ID but since you mention Kida, here's a splash to a Kida story in Men in Action # 5 (thanks Mike) I read earlier this week from circa the same time period ('51-'52) and the romance pages are not Kida. I like the splash in its Crandallian mayhem -

That is one jumbled panel. Unless you know for sure who drew the romance pages, I wouldn't count Kida out on the basis of that story. He did some solid work for the later issues of Crime Does Not Pay that looks similar to the romance work.

Not saying the romance pages definitely are his work, just that they might be...

Here's some other Kida for consideration.

Here's some other Atlas work from Marvel Tales 105. Part 1...

Thanks for posting the story :) Still ... I own a MT 105 and am well familiar with that Kida story and it was another reason I didn't believe the Romance is Kida's work. I'll have to sit down and read that giveaway later today. Thanks :D

A quick Guess the artist.

Admittedly (sp?), I wouldn't be able to guess myself but I think that at least two of you will guess it quickly.

@ BOOT - So, who was the Fawcett Western artist whose page you posted earlier in the week? :popcorn:

105550.jpg.933c3ebb1118da8aa61a37ac31fc5745.jpg

Lou Cameron? Not enough to rule him out or exclude other candidates though no one else comes to mind.

:acclaim:

The pose of the soldier in panel 4 and his face in panel 5 are reminiscent of his work for Ace and DC. I think I've seen his work on a CI story (War of the Worlds?) and, while good, he was turning out volume for almost certainly less money than when he was with the big companies. It lacks the playful decorative touch that was his trademark but still a very nice page with a wonderful overhead POV for the splash.

That POV is the reason I selected the page since it's uncommon and put to great use in that panel.

There are some touches of his decorative backgrounds here and there in the story, in particular in the page following this one, but since most of the story takes place outdoors, he can get away with doing less.

Some of the Jack Sparling art is fun.

TellMarines1.jpg

Some of the Jack Sparling art is fun.

TellMarines1.jpg

Salida?

(thumbs u

ConfessionsIllustrated011956-02.jpg

ConfessionsIllustrated021956-05.jpg

Those are sweet. And in such nice shape! :applause:

thanks, man... for the last couple of years, I have only seen these offered at pretty high "buy-it-now" levels on eBay... but this pair came up on Heritage, and I won them for fairly cheap :D (and they look a LOT better than some of those hyper-inflated "buy-it-now"s did!) good paper quality too.