• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

Weak stories, perhaps, but still a marvelous Toth cover!

Tim will probably agree but I really like the string of covers in the '70's of the Dell Tarzan run. Very pastural / bucolic in their interpretation of jungle life. There is a similar streak in the Lassie set of covers.

110759.jpg.706ae6d80e727286b8d408859c903fd8.jpg

110760.jpg.64b21623f31a9e4063dd10d00d089cf3.jpg

Tim will probably agree but I really like the string of covers in the '70's of the Dell Tarzan run. Very pastural / bucolic in their interpretation of jungle life. There is a similar streak in the Lassie set of covers.

To be honest, they`re my least favorite of the painted covers, but they definitely still beat the heck out of the photo beefcake covers.

By a weird quirk of numerological fate, issues 57 and 75 happen to offer polar opposites of the types of covers that were typically featured.

tarzan57.jpg

tarzan75.jpg

Any scene with a big jungle cat is fine by me. (thumbs u

tarzan57.jpg

To be honest, they`re my least favorite of the painted covers, but they definitely still beat the heck out of the photo beefcake covers.

By a weird quirk of numerological fate, issues 57 and 75 happen to offer polar opposites of the types of covers that were typically featured.

tarzan57.jpg

tarzan75.jpg

Beautiful copies! I pick up beaters when I see them for the right price.

GCD credits for the covers posted:

55 Morris Gollub

57, 62, 73-75 Moe Gollub?; George Wilson?

I wonder if the "superior" covers are all Gollub and the lesser ones are Wilson. Does one of you know for sure?

JPS

The 2 covers above are definitely not George Wilson. I`m not a huge fan of Wilson.

Which two?

If you can definitely tell Gollub from Wilson, I'd be glad to edit the data at GCD.

Thanks,

Jack

The 2 covers above are definitely not George Wilson. I`m not a huge fan of Wilson.

Which two?

If you can definitely tell Gollub from Wilson, I'd be glad to edit the data at GCD.

Thanks,

Jack

57 and 75. Highly unlikely to be Wilson unless he changed his style a lot over the next 15 years or so.

Here`s a typical Wilson cover for Gold Key from the late 60s/early 70s. The style looks completely different from the Dell covers in the 1950s.

Korak31.jpg

My own impression has always been that there were at least 3 different artists who created the painted Dell Tarzan covers. If people don`t mind being sidetracked, I`ll post some examples of what I see as the 3 different styles.

That's not being side-tracked. Bring the examples on.

Tarzan painted covers have as Jack mentioned been attributed to Mo Gollub and George Wilson but I've never heard mention of a third artist.

When folks hear of Atomic Age books they figure that you're talking about Horror, Science Fiction, Crime and Good Girl comics. The more outrageous the book is, the better it is. Since there are already threads devoted to these, this thread is for genres that get eclipsed by their more shocking counterparts.

So post all your Atomic Age superheros, westerns, romance, adventure, and war!

So my funny animal books aren't welcome here either?

:sorry:

The jerk editors these days would bring in Frank Miller to make Tarzan grittier.

doh!

Which two?

Thanks,

Jack

57 and 75. Highly unlikely to be Wilson unless he changed his style a lot over the next 15 years or so.

After going through the covers from the mid-50s that I own, I`ve changed my mind and think that maybe the #57 is Wilson in an earlier style.

I`ve actually identified potentially 5 different artists, but this is just based on my own perception and should definitely not be the basis of any edits at GCD! Differing opinions are most welcome.

Artist 1.

I think this is Gollub as this is by far the most prolific artist during this period. I think #55, 58, 62, 63, 65, 69, 71, 73, 76 and 79 are by him. Here are a couple of representative covers:

Tarzan69.jpg

tarzan71.jpg

Artist 2.

The more I looked at the different covers, the more positive I was that whoever did #57 was not Gollub. Maybe it`s a relatively early Wilson?

#57 was the only cover that I identified as being of this particular style.

tarzan57.jpg

Artist 5.

Finally, the artist I call Mr. Smiley, because Tarzan smiles in his covers. Maybe he`s one of the previous artists and Tarzan`s rendition just looks completely different because of his smile?

Tarzan6196.jpg

Tarzan70.jpg

Artist 5.

Finally, the artist I call Mr. Smiley, because Tarzan smiles in his covers. Maybe he`s one of the previous artists and Tarzan`s rendition just looks completely different because of his smile?

Thanks for the analysis.

I'm going to bounce your thoughts off a GCD member who's very good at Dell artist ID.

Jack