• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

Well, I've got 50 ( forgot he was in that one)

GCD indicates 41,43,44,46,48,49 all have Anderson art, any one in particular that's memorable?

I may not be the most reliable source (I like Jesse Marsh's artwork ..) but # 48's story is really good. This is a frenetic chase of this guy who leaves a heavy body count on the way. Anderson creeps you out with his depiction of the main baddie.

I would suggest you check the entire story out at the Comics Museum.

Wanted48_zpsea817ab6.jpg

Wanted48-AndersonPage_zpsb0a58aa8.jpg

P.S.: The body of the girl is only suggested in the final panel of this page ... it's in full view on the opening panel of the next page. In yet the page over, he chokes an old lady to death in front of her husband. 3 panels later, he's strangled dead. Next page over, he skulks and attacks a couple on a nighttime water ride. Wild!

I like Jesse Marsh's artwork

Good job, Scrooge - the first step in overcoming a problem is recognizing you have one... ;)

Thanks for posting these.

Since we're talking Anderson, here is a giveaway with Anderson art. The more of the guy's work I see, the more I appreciate it.

147050.jpg.dcda79e263a744d19fd6f3a6fe5a6425.jpg

As mentioned in the Robot Covers thread, a look inside Strange Tales #8.

STWorld_8_zpsa845b94e.jpg

Large though he robot is, it attacks the small unassuming town of Shady Glen

st_world_SP_zpse173e31b.jpg

St_world_01_zpsa2ae3ded.jpg

The story be Kubert was the hidden gem in the book IMHO. The protagonist, Henry Twigg appears to be a combination of Icabod Crane, book nerd with oversize glasses, and Walter Mitty. Despite his less than stellar looks he is abducted to a different dimension by dazzlingly beautiful dames, but sadly Twigg cannot stand prosperity for long.

st_world_02_zpsc51533eb.jpg

Just picked this up - all I need now is a copy of Foreign Intrigues #15 for the complete atom age Johnny Dynamite. It's probably easier to find than this book, but it's a matter of the right grade at the right price. That issue is actually not uncommon, but the Johnny Dynamite titled Charltons are probably tougher to find than his excellent pre-code Comic Media run in Dynamite.

Morisi still did the art in the 3 issue JD Charlton run, but the interior printing quality is less than that of Comic Media's. I like this cover the best of the Charltons, as it's moody, and of course anti-communist covers are always fun. The code took some of the grit out of Johnny, but he's still a tough talking hombre.

dynamite10_zps6d02615e.jpg

I love the detail of the policeman's uniform and the care in rendering the car -- there's no question of it being a 50s event.

I love the detail of the policeman's uniform and the care in rendering the car -- there's no question of it being a 50s event.

The detail in the policeman and car is definitely well done. I also like the overall dark and gloomy atmosphere of the cover. The dark clothed policeman, rainy night and grey smoke from the tires.

Does anyone know what kind of car that is?

This book always said atomic to me. Sick colors.

BlackMagic18fc100_zpsfba30c2a.jpg

A cool book that I've never noticed before and would also agree that it looks "atomic".

This part of the ocean floor, with the glow in the dark colors and the giant cockroach, definitely seems to have gotten the radiation treatment.

A cool book that I've never noticed before and would also agree that it looks "atomic".

This part of the ocean floor, with the glow in the dark colors and the giant cockroach, definitely seems to have gotten the radiation treatment.

Kind of prefigures Kirby's later Atlas monster books.

Kind of prefigures Kirby's later Atlas monster books.

You're right and the only thing missing is one of Stan's monster names like Goom or Sporr.