• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

From Yellow to Pink with this Wanted # 49. Aside from the Big John cover and story, there are two Anderson stories inside. Such a treat and the kind of books I'm always happy to get :banana:

Wanted49_zps6919f0f6.jpg [/quote

Awesome cover - don't recall seeing it before, was it skipped in thr gerber guide?

From Yellow to Pink with this Wanted # 49. Aside from the Big John cover and story, there are two Anderson stories inside. Such a treat and the kind of books I'm always happy to get :banana:

Wanted49_zps6919f0f6.jpg

Cool cover Scrooge. Do you know if it was intended to be printed mostly pink that way or was it some kind of printers mistake?

Definitely would have stood out on the comic rack.

All copies are in pink. I consequently doubt that it was an error as the entire print run was run in that color scheme. Aside from the color, it's the violence and nature of the scene that would make it stand out in a sea of crime and horror. I love the lunging dog too :)

All copies are in pink. I consequently doubt that it was an error as the entire print run was run in that color scheme. Aside from the color, it's the violence and nature of the scene that would make it stand out in a sea of crime and horror. I love the lunging dog too :)

Issue 50 has a memorable pink and green two-tone cover, so I imagine Orbit was looking for ways to make the title stand out. Wanted was one of the earlier titles of the crime boom in the late 40s, but I'm guessing by 1952, horror books were hurting crime sales, as the title folded in early 1953 after a 45 issue run.

We tend to think of pre-code crime and horror as being concurrent genres, which they were to some degree, but really crime comics were really a phenomenon of the late forties when after a few years of CDNP having the market to itself, there is a sudden explosion of crime titles in 1947-48, but by 1952 many are folding or switching to a horror format, right at the peak of horror's popularity, a genre which despite early examples from the late 40s, doesn't really get going until 1950 with the EC books.

No love for Robin? Well, maybe you'll like the Black Bull.

Read this Prize Comics Western # 71 today. I bought this thinking there was art by Severin in this issue but he starts on the Black Bull with # 72. Oh well, I'll do better research next time but this allowed me to discover that the Black Bull was originally started by D_ick Briefer and as always Briefer brings his own personal twist on the western genre gifting us with a tale that definitely does not feel from 1948. Check out how the Black Bull is often lurking in from one side of the panels.

The other stories therein are 3 Dusty Ballew tales by the competent Al Carreno and one story of The Lazo Kid, a feature that continued running in the pages of Prize Comics Western once American Eagle took over the 3-story spot from Dusty Ballew in the hands of Severin / Elder.

PrizeComicsWestern71_zps154d0cbd.jpg

Black Bull Splash -

PrizeComicsWestern71-BlackBull1_zps95ea7ab0.jpg

Black Bull Page -

PrizeComicsWestern71-BlackBull2_zps697fcdf7.jpg

No love for Robin? Well, maybe you'll like the Black Bull.

Read this Prize Comics Western # 71 today. I bought this thinking there was art by Severin in this issue but he starts on the Black Bull with # 72. Oh well, I'll do better research next time but this allowed me to discover that the Black Bull was originally started by D_ick Briefer and as always Briefer brings his own personal twist on the western genre gifting us with a tale that definitely does not feel from 1948. Check out how the Black Bull is often lurking in from one side of the panels.

The other stories therein are 3 Dusty Ballew tales by the competent Al Carreno and one story of The Lazo Kid, a feature that continued running in the pages of Prize Comics Western once American Eagle took over the 3-story spot from Dusty Ballew in the hands of Severin / Elder.

PrizeComicsWestern71_zps154d0cbd.jpg

Thanks for introducing me to Al Carreno's artwork, I'd never even heard of him, and I'm surprised he's not better known given the quality of that cover art.

What a run!!! :cloud9:

All you need is the 51 to have all of the psuedo 3D issues (it has one 3d-ish story in addition to the cover)

All you need is the 51 to have all of the psuedo 3D issues (it has one 3d-ish story in addition to the cover)

Yep. It will turn up somewhere.

Thanks for introducing me to Al Carreno's artwork, I'd never even heard of him, and I'm surprised he's not better known given the quality of that cover art.

IIRC, he toiled here and in some lesser known features for Fawcett and bounced a lot but never had a signature series to his name. Died fairly young in 1964 [1905 - 1964].

Here are two sample pages from this issue - (Note that the colorist could change a panel's palette (if you can call it that) as quickly as a chameleon on a polka-dot shirt).

PrizeComicsWestern71-Carenno_zps1cca41cf.jpg

PrizeComicsWestern71-Carenno2_zpsd0de626a.jpg

Almost impossible to find these in more rarefied grades - these copies are about as good as they ever come. Great coup, Richard. :applause:

For the sake of completeness, perhaps I should mention there is a truevision story in #59 also, and it has a weird puppet cover.

Edited by Flex Mentallo

Tonto, I've said ad nauseum before, is one of my favorite '50's series. Here's from a recent package from CatRick issue # 28 which is no less entertaining than others in the run. Tonto is great because it packages superlative art with entertaining & charming stories. The plot of these stories is not the tired retread that you run into in most westerns you read b/c this is not a shoot'em up but these are vignettes of native american lives so they are more quiet and community oriented with little conflict raging. And the horses appear drawn effortlessly and naturally. Love the horses in Tonto.

Tonto28_zps1e12d8b3.jpg

Tonto28-1_zpsca227e87.jpg

Tonto28-2_zps52dac2fb.jpg

Tonto28-3_zps7e6e6ac4.jpg

Tonto28-4_zps26d7917d.jpg