• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

maybe this is post-atomic, but...

32879.jpg

One of the first comics I bought off the stands was Forbidden Worlds #87 May-June 1960 (cover thanks to GCD). The cover story was based on a yarn from Dec 1950 Astounding, ‘A Subway Named Möbius', by A. J. Duetsch (an astronomer), and involved a train that takes an interdimensional turn.

The story (is online here http://pappysgoldenage.blogspot.com/2010/08/number-783-science-fiction-week-train.html thanks Pappy) contains a description of the mobius strip (nicely drawn by John Buscema), and eight-year-old Pat was fascinated.

So when I saw a picture of this mobius netsuke by Michael Birch today I was impressed.

mobnet.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun

sexy books!

Thanks. It's hard to go wrong with EC's (though I haven't read MD or Psychoanalysis yet).

The only one I didn't like was Extra. But I haven't read Psychoanalysis either. M.D. is kind of interesting, because it shows how rudimentary medicine was sixty years ago.

I've had these for a while but one of my biggest regrets this year in collecting is not bidding more aggressively (within my miserly scale) when this collection of T&Js hit eBay. I only won a few but missed out on a great many that looked good. Oh well, I am satisfied with those few I fished. I scanned a couple -

TampJ54_zps563d1513.jpg

TampJ77_zps03d469d1.jpg

I've had these for a while but one of my biggest regrets this year in collecting is not bidding more aggressively (within my miserly scale) when this collection of T&Js hit eBay. I only won a few but missed out on a great many that looked good. Oh well, I am satisfied with those few I fished. I scanned a couple -

TampJ54_zps563d1513.jpg

TampJ77_zps03d469d1.jpg

Nice books. Was Kelly still doing the Our Gang stories at this point?

I haven't read any of the issues before but the Kelly covers seem to call my name every once in a while. Was tempted to bid on the bound copies Heritage just auctioned.

Don't know if this has been posted here, but this is an interesting giveaway from 1949 I just picked up. Crudely drawn and 16 pages long, it's not really that informational, with not much more than some basic advice about seeing a "real" doctor if you suspect you may have contracted syphilis, and what to look for. The plot, as it is, has Doc Carter arriving in Carbiville and busting up a graft and prostitution "ring".

I'd wanted a copy since seeing it in Scott Shaw's old Oddball Comics column years ago.

DocCarter001_zps1e26846a.jpg

I've had a burning sensation for that issue for a while.

TampJ54_zps563d1513.jpg

TampJ77_zps03d469d1.jpg

Beautiful books!

:bump:

Yikes, nothing since December :o

Anyway, I took a break from scanning Westerns to scan this Wanted # 24.

There was a Paul Dean Barker criminal in the late '40's but by the time this ran in Wanted (January 1950 as per cover), he was already behind bar, having been condemned to 6 consecutive 5-year sentence in 1948. He appealed in 1958 contending that the sentencing wasn't clear about the "consecutiveness" of the sentences. The appeal got dismissed really quickly.

Wanted24_zps87a1a5f9.jpg

I only have the drug issues and the surrealistic Buscema cover, and the material is uneven, but overall I found Wanted above average for a crime title. Mort Leav did some nice splashes . Ever since you posted the cover to #49 ( I think it was you), I've been looking out for it, but it seems to come up rarely. I should also grab the Mr. Crime ( or whatever his name is) covers before they start getting expensive.

I once bought a copy of #22 because Overstreet listed it as having extreme violence, but it seemed pretty run of the mill to me so I sold it when I was thinning out my crime collection of "lesser" books. Kind of regret doing that now, as I've had a renewed affection for the genre and have been buying stuff lately. Thankfully I held onto the high demand books, I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on some of the classic covers if I had to buy them now.

I only have the drug issues and the surrealistic Buscema cover, and the material is uneven, but overall I found Wanted above average for a crime title. Mort Leav did some nice splashes . Ever since you posted the cover to #49 ( I think it was you), I've been looking out for it, but it seems to come up rarely. I should also grab the Mr. Crime ( or whatever his name is) covers before they start getting expensive.

It was me :) Wanted is such a better title when 1) "Mr. Crime" (isn't that the name of the guy on Crime Does Not Pay though?) is on the cover and 2) mainly one should look for the issues with Anderson's art inside. That's my current goal with Wanted as a title anyway, "Mr. Crime" covers and any issues with Anderson or Buscema. Syd Shores does a lot of work in Wanted but it's for some reason not as good as his Atlas work. Also, Mort Leav and Mort Lawrence work in the title but, again, Mort Lawrence's work seems inferior here to his work for Hillman. Go figure!