• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

What a run!!! :cloud9:

All you need is the 51 to have all of the psuedo 3D issues (it has one 3d-ish story in addition to the cover)

Almost impossible to find these in more rarefied grades - these copies are about as good as they ever come. Great coup, Richard. :applause:

For the sake of completeness, perhaps I should mention there is a truevision story in #59 also, and it has a weird puppet cover.

Thanks Mike. I am looking for 51 and 59 as well as the True-Visions in other ACG titles. I saw one of the Lovelorns in Chicago and have dibs on it when it sells.

What a run!!! :cloud9:

All you need is the 51 to have all of the psuedo 3D issues (it has one 3d-ish story in addition to the cover)

Almost impossible to find these in more rarefied grades - these copies are about as good as they ever come. Great coup, Richard. :applause:

For the sake of completeness, perhaps I should mention there is a truevision story in #59 also, and it has a weird puppet cover.

Thanks Mike. I am looking for 51 and 59 as well as the True-Visions in other ACG titles. I saw one of the Lovelorns in Chicago and have dibs on it when it sells.

Darn I used to have the romance ones in nice shape but sold them long ago. If I see any I'll let you know.

Tonto, I've said ad nauseum before, is one of my favorite '50's series. Here's from a recent package from CatRick issue # 28 which is no less entertaining than others in the run. Tonto is great because it packages superlative art with entertaining & charming stories. The plot of these stories is not the tired retread that you run into in most westerns you read b/c this is not a shoot'em up but these are vignettes of native american lives so they are more quiet and community oriented with little conflict raging. And the horses appear drawn effortlessly and naturally. Love the horses in Tonto.

Tonto28_zps1e12d8b3.jpg

Tonto28-1_zpsca227e87.jpg

Tonto28-2_zps52dac2fb.jpg

Tonto28-3_zps7e6e6ac4.jpg

Tonto28-4_zps26d7917d.jpg

For some stupid reason I was waiting to finish my Hi-Yo Silver run before I started collecting the Tonto's. I'm really kicking myself after seeing this post.

On this p.m.'s reading list was this Tom Mix premium -

TomMixCommandos10_zpsa90a3814.jpg

Art is nice. Story so - so. I didn't realize what the other features were and was happy to run into Jane at Dream Castle. Fanciful & fun -

TomMixCommandos10-Jane_zpsb8706387.jpg

For some stupid reason I was waiting to finish my Hi-Yo Silver run before I started collecting the Tonto's. I'm really kicking myself after seeing this post.

Don't beat yourself up. I'm sure you're picking up really nice copies in the Silver run. The Tonto's aren't hard to come by either.

For more eye-burning experience, here's my morning read: Gene Autry 9 from 1947. The combo of a Western photo cover and Jesse Marsh interior art is sure to please Tim :baiting: Truth be told, I enjoyed it :blush:

GeneAutry9_zpsb09dc6a6.jpg

Killer cover! However methinks the location of that last train car on the right is very oddly placed.... hm

Fred...? Fred Wertham, is that you?

I will never be able to look at that cover again without thinking about how I look in the mirror after a bath.

Or even before.

Don't beat yourself up. I'm sure you're picking up really nice copies in the Silver run. The Tonto's aren't hard to come by either.

For more eye-burning experience, here's my morning read: Gene Autry 9 from 1947. The combo of a Western photo cover and Jesse Marsh interior art is sure to please Tim :baiting: Truth be told, I enjoyed it :blush:

GeneAutry9_zpsb09dc6a6.jpg

I don't usually buy photo covers but this one gave me the idea of putting together a little collection of the "top ten" worst shirt covers of Gene and Roy.

I spent a while going through GCD and had to quit because I couldn't narrow it down. I'll give it another try later on though.

Tonto, I've said ad nauseum before, is one of my favorite '50's series. Here's from a recent package from CatRick issue # 28 which is no less entertaining than others in the run. Tonto is great because it packages superlative art with entertaining & charming stories. The plot of these stories is not the tired retread that you run into in most westerns you read b/c this is not a shoot'em up but these are vignettes of native american lives so they are more quiet and community oriented with little conflict raging. And the horses appear drawn effortlessly and naturally. Love the horses in Tonto.

Tonto28_zps1e12d8b3.jpg

Tonto28-1_zpsca227e87.jpg

Tonto28-2_zps52dac2fb.jpg

Tonto28-3_zps7e6e6ac4.jpg

Tonto28-4_zps26d7917d.jpg

....to my shame, I must confess I never looked inside a Tonto before. Are they all this fantastic ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Some or all of my dog photo cover collection.

th_Lassie4_zps1261487f.jpgth_Lassie52_zps3f8baec9.jpgth_Lassie64_zps974ab70f.jpgth_Lassie65_zpsb01306e7.jpg

th_RinTinTin24_zpse2a20cdc.jpgth_RinTinTin9_zps63e8a492.jpgth_RinTinTin14_zps61999edf.jpgth_RinTinTin16_zpse00a4b69.jpg

th_RinTinTin23_zps96f42cdb.jpgth_RinTinTin26_zpsfd885a47.jpgth_RinTinTin31CGC94_zps290cead2.jpgth_RinTinTin33_zps1003eaef.jpg

th_RinTinTin36_zps1b71e36d.jpgth_RinTinTin37_zps2ed426ce.jpg

Nice. I saw a few episodes of Lassie when I was a kid but I don't think I ever saw a RinTinTin.

When she was younger, my daughter was very into dogs. She's more into boys, now, so I collect them for myself. They aren't very spendy but are tougher to find in my grade than I had originally thought.

Plenty of violent pre-code western stories in Death Valley #1 and #2. A lot of different ways to die in these books.

The first issue is all Andru/Esposito and the second issue is all Heck. I enjoyed the stories and art in both of them with the exception of a few "face" problems by Heck.

DeathValley1_zpscd3526d1-1.jpg

DeathValley1page_zpsfc6ae4f6-1.jpg

DeathValley2_zps84e88587.jpg

DeathValley2page_zps63a2a9a4.jpg

Nice. I saw a few episodes of Lassie when I was a kid but I don't think I ever saw a RinTinTin.

When I was a kid, I saw many episodes of RinTinTin but I don't think I ever saw a Lassie.

Still, the Lassie comics trump the RinTinTin books.

DeathValley2_zps84e88587.jpg

Must not look at this thread :pullhair:

Nice books :thumbsup:

Never notice that bloody shovel cover before. Comic Media never stilted on the violence. Even the one romance book I have of theirs has a dame getting slapped around in it.