• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please support me in financing my education - THANKS!
2 2

279 posts in this topic

I do have to say your art is great. It's one of my favorite pieces hanging on my wall. My girlfriend was originally freaked by it but has grown to appreciate it.

15280197006_73ac791673_c.jpg

I love that...! :applause:

Thanks, it was a pleasure to create.

Colorfinish_zps31571c15.jpg

FinalINK_zps4bfbc032.jpg

As to the OP, I am torn, smack dab in the middle of this discussion. My University experience was fun, I enjoyed myself, but I also had challenges that were completely unjustified. It was expensive. I also feel I learned very little from the instructors, I am very much self taught from my own experience.

The Op could very well be throwing his money away, he could also open doors that are currently not available to him.

Van Gogh is cemented in history, as well being the definition of “starving artist”. I'd say that kind of posterity is pretty EPIC, even though he struggled in life.

Your work is only part of the package. I don't know you so I can't say jack but as it is with these boards, sometimes the trick is fitting in.

Exactly my experience Artboy. The students that could actually draw were loathed by the instructors.

In response to the other comments of why didn't I put myself out there-I worked with several writers, had several books printed, won an award with my Mr X story, Tales From the Void was lauded at comicon, books are on websites, reviewed and lauded. I did everything humanly possible-there are just way too many talented wannabe artists and writers out there. In a field that has maybe one job opening a year. The current comic artists many of them have to struggle to find work.

when people ask me how do you break into comics I tel them 'you don't'.

To the guy who said maybe I'm just not very good (techvoodoo) - bite me.

If someone who can paint this is 'not very good' you are a dolt:

http://kaviart.deviantart.com/art/airbrush-painting-284287269

That's very good Kav

I do have to say your art is great. It's one of my favorite pieces hanging on my wall. My girlfriend was originally freaked by it but has grown to appreciate it.

15280197006_73ac791673_c.jpg

I love that...! :applause:

Thanks, it was a pleasure to create.

Colorfinish_zps31571c15.jpg

FinalINK_zps4bfbc032.jpg

As to the OP, I am torn, smack dab in the middle of this discussion. My University experience was fun, I enjoyed myself, but I also had challenges that were completely unjustified. It was expensive. I also feel I learned very little from the instructors, I am very much self taught from my own experience.

The Op could very well be throwing his money away, he could also open doors that are currently not available to him.

I love Karl/Artboy's work. I get to see a lot of it and every piece is wonderful

Van Gogh is cemented in history, as well being the definition of “starving artist”. I'd say that kind of posterity is pretty EPIC, even though he struggled in life.

Your work is only part of the package. I don't know you so I can't say jack but as it is with these boards, sometimes the trick is fitting in.

Actually I spoke to comic artist CP Smith-he said it's pure luck-being available right when they need someone.

Kav, in one thread you are chastising board members for not freely giving away their hard worked for money and in this one you are crushing anothers dreams. You have been a very busy PIF Killer!

No no no in one thread I am supporting a struggling boardie and in this thread I am trying to avert disaster!!!!

No no no in one thread I am supporting a struggling boardie and in this thread I am trying to avert disaster!!!!

I think it is great that you supported him, but you basically called out the boards as a whole. People should donate if they want to but not feel obligated. People work hard for their money and can choose what and when to give.

As far as this thread is concerned, as an artist, your insight is certainly invaluable. However, there is giving your opinion and forcing it. As a non-artist I could see how it could be money down the drain or on the flip side, the most valuable experience of his life even if he never becomes a working artist.

Okay... let me spell it out for you. If you didn't like art school, it probably means you didn't fit into that community. You pushed against it so they pushed back. Suddenly, a teacher or fellow student doesn't like you and you don't know why. The result is a negative experience. I've met many people similar to you, who are very skilled but were stuck on the mechanics of art. They couldn't, and wouldn't acknowledge the BS concepts from an art school, because it didn't require any drawing skills. Triangles, squares, stripes, and splashes take seemingly no skill at all... but, it does require an open mind to appreciate what people like Pollack, Riopelle and Jack Bush was trying to accomplish. To these guys, anyone can learn to draw but finding beauty in chaos, order through randomness and the juxtaposition of color had a deeper meaning.

I don't know how old you are but there are many paths in front of you. Your talent can reach people in many different ways. And if you are “likeable"... and assuming you can do the job, they will find a way to use you. And if they don't like you... no matter how talented you are, they will find a way to get rid of you. It's just how people are.

Most famous people are acutely aware of the need to be liked and so they try very hard to be humble, flexible, inclusive, accepting, gracious and open to criticism. It's all a game. This is why don't see guys like Jim Lee on these boards raking some poor chump over the coals for breaking some unwritten code of comic book ethics. Is Jim Lee the best artist that DC has? NO. But he is likeable and knows how to play the game.

You need a public persona and start building relationships. Luck is for people who have no talent. Is this you? People used to say the same thing to me when I was looking for work in advertising. All communities are a clique but I eventually broke in. Once I became a director, I started using the "luck" excuse on young designers so that their feelings wouldn't be hurt.

You need a plan of attack, a strategy. Figure out exactly what you want and start walking and talking like the people who've have it so that you blend in. I guarantee this will work.

Okay... let me spell it out for you. If you didn't like art school, it probably means you didn't fit into that community. You pushed against it so they pushed back. Suddenly, a teacher or fellow student doesn't like you and you don't know why. The result is a negative experience. I've met many people similar to you, who are very skilled but were stuck on the mechanics of art. They couldn't, and wouldn't acknowledge the BS concepts from an art school, because it didn't require any drawing skills. Triangles, squares, stripes, and splashes take seemingly no skill at all... but, it does require an open mind to appreciate what people like Pollack, Riopelle and Jack Bush was trying to accomplish. To these guys, anyone can learn to draw but finding beauty in chaos, order through randomness and the juxtaposition of color had a deeper meaning.

I don't know how old you are but there are many paths in front of you. Your talent can reach people in many different ways. And if you are “likeable"... and assuming you can do the job, they will find a way to use you. And if they don't like you... no matter how talented you are, they will find a way to get rid of you. It's just how people are.

Most famous people are acutely aware of the need to be liked and so they try very hard to be humble, flexible, inclusive, accepting, gracious and open to criticism. It's all a game. This is why don't see guys like Jim Lee on these boards raking some poor chump over the coals for breaking some unwritten code of comic book ethics. Is Jim Lee the best artist that DC has? NO. But he is likeable and knows how to play the game.

You need a public persona and start building relationships. Luck is for people who have no talent. Is this you? People used to say the same thing to me when I was looking for work in advertising. All communities are a clique but I eventually broke in. Once I became a director, I started using the "luck" excuse on young designers so that their feelings wouldn't be hurt.

You need a plan of attack, a strategy. Figure out exactly what you want and start walking and talking like the people who've have it so that you blend in. I guarantee this will work.

I did not push against it I cooperated completely. Working as a comic artist you get a -script and you draw it. there is no real socialization involved. I was always flexible. One writer I drew 25 different covers for him till I got it the way he wanted. CP Smith told me he submitted for years-one day an artist dropped out right when he walked in the office-he was hired. It was 'luck'. I need no plan of attack-I have no interest in drawing comics any more. If Marvel contacted me tomorrow I would decline.

There are hundreds of thousands of talented people that want to draw comics. If you think the only thing holding them back is their personality, you are mistaken.