• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest GOLDEN AGE Covers Poll, Round One

189 posts in this topic

A few of my faves missing, and a few on the list that do little for me, but all in all a stellar selection of books, and group that would be much more fun to own than a bunch of traditional "keys".

The one book that didn't make it was Terrific 5 which really surprised me.

yea, there are a butt load of great ones missing and some not so great included. I don't hold much stock in this poll (sorry)

Good effort, but fun participating nonetheless

yea, there are a butt load of great ones missing and some not so great included. I don't hold much stock in this poll (sorry)

Thanks for participating. I'm glad you don't hold much stock in this poll as it isn't trending at all on the S&P 500 Index.

Polls are always going be controversial because tastes vary. Few of the books eventually selected in this Top 20 survey would be in my Top 20, but the consensus is a fair cross section given the criteria we asked folks to consider.

Thanks for participating. I'm glad you don't hold much stock in this poll as it isn't trending at all on the S&P 500 Index.

Polls are always going be controversial because tastes vary. Few of the books eventually selected in this Top 20 survey would be in my Top 20, but the consensus is a fair cross section given the criteria we asked folks to consider.

Thanks Dave! I'm just jaded due to my books not making the cut lol

:sorry:

My 2 cents. Based on the fact that the higher echelon keys were not to be voted on, I agree with most of the top 40 selections except the following:

8) Startling 49 - highly overrated. Not a menacing robot and other Xela covers are better like the 53.

19) Wonderworld 7 - this is ok, but there are more menacing skull covers out there. The Flame's posture doesn't show much urgency to the situation.

24) Mask 2 - Satan looks a little too jovial on this one and the duo-tone face throws him off. Any full cover Satan is a plus though.

27) Catman 31 - nice design but a common book and I prefer something like Catman #20 with the wild Hitler face instead.

31) Detective 69 - this and the 71 are overrated to me. Batman and Robin are rendered too small and incidental. Decent Joker covers are few and far between though so I understand the selection.

32) Dynamic 8 - I know people rave about this one, but I don't get it at all.

34) Suspense 8 - so so. Too many Cole spider covers spoil it for me.

40) Hit 18 - I must be missing something but I don't see the attraction of this book at all.

40) Hit 18 - I must be missing something but I don't see the attraction of this book at all.

There were some kinda bizarre inclusions on the list, this being one of them.

It's not even a top five cover in the title, let alone a top 40 golden age book.

My 2 cents. Based on the fact that the higher echelon keys were not to be voted on, I agree with most of the top 40 selections except the following:

8) Startling 49 - highly overrated. Not a menacing robot and other Xela covers are better like the 53.

(thumbs u yes, yes 100 times yes! I have never understood the appeal of Startling 49. Even when it was a lot cheaper, and the hype was just starting, it was always a "meh" book for me.

19) Wonderworld 7 - this is ok, but there are more menacing skull covers out there. The Flame's posture doesn't show much urgency to the situation.

24) Mask 2 - Satan looks a little too jovial on this one and the duo-tone face throws him off. Any full cover Satan is a plus though.

27) Catman 31 - nice design but a common book and I prefer something like Catman #20 with the wild Hitler face instead.

31) Detective 69 - this and the 71 are overrated to me. Batman and Robin are rendered too small and incidental. Decent Joker covers are few and far between though so I understand the selection.

Different strokes. I agree with you on Mask 2 and Suspense 8, as neither even makes my top ten L.B. Cole covers list. The Hit 18 is a real headscratcher, cool cover but not a top 200 even.

On the other hand Catman 31 is one of my personal all-time top 10 GA covers, and Detective 69 my favorite Batman cover. Startling 49, overrated yes, but I like it more than the other Xela airbrush covers, it has a 1950s sc-fi movie poster vibe people respond too.

Different strokes. I agree with you on Mask 2 and Suspense 8, as neither even makes my top ten L.B. Cole covers list. The Hit 18 is a real headscratcher, cool cover but not a top 200 even.

Yes, definitely different stokes for different folks!

I've always like the Spider cover for Suspense 8 myself, although there were quite a few lesser copies attempted of it after that. As for Wonderworld 7, I definitely remembered it being selected by several collectors as one of their Top 5 covers in the pages of CBM back in '95.

Yes, Hit 18 is definitely a head scratcher for me also, as there are other more deserving issues from that title alone, such as Hit 1, 6, 11, etc. Well, to each their own, I would say!

I've always like the Spider cover for Suspense 8 myself, although there were quite a few lesser copies attempted of it after that. As for Wonderworld 7, I definitely remembered it being selected by several collectors as one of their Top 5 covers in the pages of CBM back in '95.

Yes, Hit 18 is definitely a head scratcher for me also, as there are other more deserving issues from that title alone, such as Hit 1, 6, 11, etc. Well, to each their own, I would say!

716ec883-a171-4eca-8a71-1c57b3b13b2f_zpsgsvam9p0.jpg

:taptaptap:

I'll start by saying that I truly enjoy the Intelligent Collector magazine and think Heritage does a great job promoting different types of collectibles and making them interesting. The magazine is very informative. That being said, I feel the comic book article left me wanting. The initial few paragraphs preceding the poll talked about Detective 31 and followed with a Schomburg love fest. I really had hoped there would be more discussion on golden age comics in general and why they are appealing to collectors, their history, how important they were during WWII, perhaps the investment side of collecting, the unique aspect of the artwork that separates this collectible from others...something. What we got was a short and rather boring introduction and then straight to the photos. I am not fond of the photo presentation either. The images could have been larger and the bubbles around the number rankings, although probably attempting to capture that comic book feel, look hokey and in my opinion diminishes the covers themselves. I'm happy to see them featured in the magazine and seeing the covers together is a treat but I give the overall look and feel of the article a 5 out of 10 ranking. That's my 10 cents.

Ken

That being said, I feel the comic book article left me wanting. The initial few paragraphs preceding the poll talked about Detective 31 and followed with a Schomburg love fest.

Ken

Hey Ken;

Just wondering if there is some way you can scan the article for us poorer slobs who are not intelligent enough to qualify for this mag?

If you can't or not worth the time, no big deal as it sounds like there's not much there. (thumbs u

I prefer Startling Terror Tales 11 to the Suspense 8

That being said, I feel the comic book article left me wanting. The initial few paragraphs preceding the poll talked about Detective 31 and followed with a Schomburg love fest.

Ken

Hey Ken;

Just wondering if there is some way you can scan the article for us poorer slobs who are not intelligent enough to qualify for this mag?

If you can't or not worth the time, no big deal as it sounds like there's not much there. (thumbs u

I can scan the first page which has the write-up if someone doesn't beat me to it first. The rest are simply photos of the books. Have to wait until I get home from work though.

Ken

I'll start by saying that I truly enjoy the Intelligent Collector magazine and think Heritage does a great job promoting different types of collectibles and making them interesting. The magazine is very informative. That being said, I feel the comic book article left me wanting. The initial few paragraphs preceding the poll talked about Detective 31 and followed with a Schomburg love fest. I really had hoped there would be more discussion on golden age comics in general and why they are appealing to collectors, their history, how important they were during WWII, perhaps the investment side of collecting, the unique aspect of the artwork that separates this collectible from others...something. What we got was a short and rather boring introduction and then straight to the photos. I am not fond of the photo presentation either. The images could have been larger and the bubbles around the number rankings, although probably attempting to capture that comic book feel, look hokey and in my opinion diminishes the covers themselves. I'm happy to see them featured in the magazine and seeing the covers together is a treat but I give the overall look and feel of the article a 5 out of 10 ranking. That's my 10 cents.

Ken

Well stated, Ken.

I have to agree that the final result was underwhelming. I'd hoped IC would publish a serious article on GA comics that presented this survey in an adult manner reflecting the sophistication of our collecting community. Unfortunately, my input wasn't solicited for the article. Without judging the intent of IC's staff, I would've authored the article in an entirely different manner. As someone who has written in depth on this topic and given presentations on GA collecting, articles that gloss over the subject fail to impress.

Note: Whoever is in charge of their on-line version still needs to correct misattributing Jack Binder as the cover artist of Silver Streak #6.