• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA August auction is shaping up to be Batman collectors dream

404 posts in this topic

Right, but that means that what you described above isn't quite accurate, there's still revenue from the other party

But ... it doesn't really matter whether the buyer is said to pay or the seller is said to pay. What matters is the difference between the auction price and what the seller receives. However that is divided up, it amounts to what the seller gives up by using the auction house.

Right, but that means that what you described above isn't quite accurate, there's still revenue from the other party

But ... it doesn't really matter whether the buyer is said to pay or the seller is said to pay. What matters is the difference between the auction price and what the seller receives. However that is divided up, it amounts to what the seller gives up by using the auction house.

... this is relatively true, but personally, I feel that each Auction house "earns" a portion of the result, through virtue of reputation and level of service...... so it's not totally a lost share as far as the consignor is concerned........ it's not as if Consignor "A" could cross paths with Buyer A" at a show and reach the same closure. 2c GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

... this is relatively true, but personally, I feel that each Auction house "earns" a portion of the result, through virtue of reputation and level of service...... so it's not totally a lost share as far as the consignor is concerned........ it's not as if Consignor "A" could cross paths with Buyer A" at a show and reach the same closure. 2c GOD BLESS...

Absolutely. As a group, the auction houses more than earn their keep. Whether the larger bite HA (typically) takes is worth it to consignors is a matter of judgement and depends -- obviously -- on what books you've got to sell.

Seller: "My book sold for $10,000!!!"

HA: "Here's your check for $8,000."

Seller: "Where's my other $2,000?!"

A. HA: "We're charging the buyer a BP of $2,000; you get what's left."

B. HA: "We're charging you an SP of $2,000; you get what's left."

C. HA: "We're charging the buyer a BP of $1,000 and you an SP of $1,000; you get what's left."

Doesn't really matter. All that matters is what the buyer paid and what the seller receives. The auction house can label the slice they keep anything they want.

I've always been what used to be referred to in the early days of the CGC Forum as a "Clink Whore" lol ...... but I've done different degrees of business with all the Houses over the years, so perhaps I'm just a plain "Whore" :cool: GOD BLESS...

I've gotten prices for books on Clink that I never would have gotten anywhere on my own. The others I'm not sure, I've only purchased from them.....

Indeed. Lots of OA lately.

Yeah, in their last auction there was some nice books, but I think CLink may actually have had more high-dollar GA books.

Probably got something to do with their auction fees of almost 30% versus only around 10% for both CC and CL. Ah, competition is good for the consignors. (thumbs u

Wonder if Heritage's customer base can generate the additional 20% for consignor's to consider listing their books with Heritage as opposed to the other two major auction sites? (shrug)

HA is pretty easy to negotiate with. Anyone selling decent stuff shouldn't be paying the full vig.

Yes, I am well aware that the standard 10% seller's premium is negotiable based upon both the quantity and quality of the material which you are consigning.

The real question to me, is just how much of the 19.5% buyer's premium can you expect to get back if you do not have 6 or 7 figure consignments to hand over to them? (shrug)

Yes, I am well aware that the standard 10% seller's premium is negotiable based upon both the quantity and quality of the material which you are consigning.

The real question to me, is just how much of the 19.5% buyer's premium can you expect to get back if you do not have 6 or 7 figure consignments to hand over to them? (shrug)

Confidentiality clauses in my agreement with Heritage prevent me from answering this question.

But would suggest you give Ed Jaster a call to propose releasing some of your massive hoard and find out for yourself.

Confidentiality clauses in my agreement with Heritage prevent me from answering this question.

But would suggest you give Ed Jaster a call to propose releasing some of your massive hoard and find out for yourself.

Seeing as how this is now 2016, it must mean that I haven't brought a book of any significance in 20 years now. So, I think my tiny little hoard of books will get me nothing more than a big fat doughnut in terms of any breaks when it comes to the HA auction fees.

Unlike your hoard where HA not only gave you back both the seller and buyer premiums, but also tossed in an extra 10% for all the extra eyeballs your books were attracting to their auction site. :baiting:

OK, just kidding. lol

Okay, not Batman related, but just wondering if you GA boardies would know anything about this book here from the Comics General thread:

image_zps7gcauqox.jpeg

I found out who owns the Action 1 that has been put up in this thread. Gerry Ross owns the book. The book was slabbed very recently. He had no clue on what was happening with the new slabs. Newton Rings, Waviness.

He has a X-Men 129 in the new slab as well. I told him all about the slabs, this thread. Peoples opinion on this situation. etc.

Then I showed him his X-Men 129. It does indeed have Newton Rings, some waviness. He did not take it all that well. There was concern in his mind now about the Action 1. He said he was going to be looking into the situation with Heritage, CGC, and one or two other sources. I told him I would take it out of the slab for the sheer concern about the possible damage that can happen to the book. I also said the same thing about the X-Men 129. I would bet he is now looking into this situation very carefully.

I truly think there may be a few possible bidders that will be shy about bidding on this book being being in the new holder. Personally I would take the book out of the slab. Have it re done by another grading company. Or leave it raw, well bagged and boarded with the CGC label available to the new owner.

Just wondering if this book is actually owned by Gerry Ross or the Comic Master as he was known in his days. hm

Seeing as how this is now 2016, it must mean that I haven't brought a book of any significance in 20 years now. So, I think my tiny little hoard of books will get me nothing more than a big fat doughnut in terms of any breaks when it comes to the HA auction fees.

So what you`re saying is that you acquired so many awesome books at pre-1996 prices that you`ve had no need to acquire more since then.

Can you feel the waves of sympathy that I`m emanating in your general direction across the Pacific?

Okay, not Batman related, but just wondering if you GA boardies would know anything about this book here from the Comics General thread:

image_zps7gcauqox.jpeg

I found out who owns the Action 1 that has been put up in this thread. Gerry Ross owns the book. The book was slabbed very recently. He had no clue on what was happening with the new slabs. Newton Rings, Waviness.

He has a X-Men 129 in the new slab as well. I told him all about the slabs, this thread. Peoples opinion on this situation. etc.

Then I showed him his X-Men 129. It does indeed have Newton Rings, some waviness. He did not take it all that well. There was concern in his mind now about the Action 1. He said he was going to be looking into the situation with Heritage, CGC, and one or two other sources. I told him I would take it out of the slab for the sheer concern about the possible damage that can happen to the book. I also said the same thing about the X-Men 129. I would bet he is now looking into this situation very carefully.

I truly think there may be a few possible bidders that will be shy about bidding on this book being being in the new holder. Personally I would take the book out of the slab. Have it re done by another grading company. Or leave it raw, well bagged and boarded with the CGC label available to the new owner.

Just wondering if this book is actually owned by Gerry Ross or the Comic Master as he was known in his days. hm

I saw Gerry Ross with an Action 1 at at least 2 shows. I held it. Trying to remember how much he wanted. Always assumed it was worked on. If this is the same book...Wow!

image_zps7gcauqox.jpeg

I saw Gerry Ross with an Action 1 at at least 2 shows. I held it. Trying to remember how much he wanted. Always assumed it was worked on. If this is the same book...Wow!

it is NOT the same book...

the book was just purchased a couple of weeks ago from a deceased collector in VA...

it was a cgc 7.5 slight that has been "un" restored and graded...

image_zps7gcauqox.jpeg

the book was just purchased a couple of weeks ago from a deceased collector in VA...

Did HA buy it? Or someone is going to make a bundle on it.

image_zps7gcauqox.jpeg

not a "bundle" necessarily...

image_zps7gcauqox.jpeg

not a "bundle" necessarily...

Depends on 8/4 ;) Be interesting to see if a new record can be made...need to topple the two 5.0's prices in the last few years.

The price paid for the copy took into account it being unrestorable... So depending on final bid with juice, the consignor may or may not make much

The price paid for the copy took into account it being unrestorable... So depending on final bid with juice, the consignor may or may not make much

I think you meant to say "un-restored"...

I think you meant to say "un-restored"...

nah. Created my own word. Unrestored-able hehe