• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA August auction is shaping up to be Batman collectors dream

404 posts in this topic

Would the other company be the way to go for restored books as opposed to the stigmatizing labels from CGC? (shrug)

Especially if it is only slight professional restoration where interested bidders should really be focusing more on the book itself and the work done, as opposed to the stigmatizing colored label. hm

I would say no unless it is one of the super extensively restored books since cgc won't grade them.

I thought the restorer/owner went across the street before CGC came to a decision on whether to continue certifying them.

Yes, you are 100% correct, but I believe the CGC supporters want the marketplace to think that CGC won't grade them. (tsk)

As you had correctly stated, CGC had not yet come to a decision on grading these books before the Meyers decided to go across the street. (thumbs u

Actually, that is not correct guys....

CGC would grade the books, but they were not willing to call the extensive work done to those heavily glossed franken-books "professional".

The Meyers were not happy with that and decided to go to the other company instead who were perfectly fine slapping essentially whatever label the Meyers' wanted on there.

-J.

First I've heard that. I thought in the thread on these books Matt said that they hadn't yet decided how they would grade the books after the Meyers had changed some of their techniques. Before they could arrive at a decision, the Meyers decamped to CBCS.

So, CGC was going to give the books an amateur restoration designation? That seems odd because whatever you think of the books, the Meyers are professionals. hm

The problem was that the books were so heavily glossed that CGC could not definitvely tell the extent of all that was done to the books. The Meyers then brought a different batch of books for CGC to review, "claiming" that they had revised their techniques. Before CGC could confirm or deny, the Meyers pulled the books.

-J.

Would the other company be the way to go for restored books as opposed to the stigmatizing labels from CGC? (shrug)

Especially if it is only slight professional restoration where interested bidders should really be focusing more on the book itself and the work done, as opposed to the stigmatizing colored label. hm

I would say no unless it is one of the super extensively restored books since cgc won't grade them.

I thought the restorer/owner went across the street before CGC came to a decision on whether to continue certifying them.

Yes, you are 100% correct, but I believe the CGC supporters want the marketplace to think that CGC won't grade them. (tsk)

As you had correctly stated, CGC had not yet come to a decision on grading these books before the Meyers decided to go across the street. (thumbs u

CGC would grade the books, but they were not willing to call the extensive work done to those heavily glossed franken-books "professional".

The Meyers were not happy with that and decided to go to the other company instead who were perfectly fine slapping essentially whatever label the Meyers' wanted on there.

-J.

First I've heard that. I thought in the thread on these books Matt said that they hadn't yet decided how they would grade the books after the Meyers had changed some of their techniques. Before they could arrive at a decision, the Meyers decamped to CBCS.

So, CGC was going to give the books an amateur restoration designation? That seems odd because whatever you think of the books, the Meyers are professionals. hm

The problem was that the books were so heavily glossed that CGC could not definitvely tell the extent of all that was done to the books. The Meyers then brought a different batch of books for CGC to review, "claiming" that they had revised their techniques. Before CGC could confirm or deny, the Meyers pulled the books.

-J.

Umm ... that's what I said but doesn't seem to match what you said above that the sticking point was the professional designation. But whatever. :D

Do we actually know if these lower-graded books were restored by the Meyers?

Pretty sure the AS8 and Sensation 1 were theirs (thumbs u

Certainly makes sense that they would continue cranking these out because my understanding was that they were doing this as a full time job.

Certainly makes sense that they would continue cranking these out because my understanding was that they were doing this as a full time job.

I think their next step is to try another go at CGC grading (now using less resto)

I think their next step is to try another go at CGC grading (now using less resto)

With all that is going on and the type of comics they work on I hope they don't start using CGC.

-J.

-J.

Umm ... that's what I said but doesn't seem to match what you said above that the sticking point was the professional designation. But whatever. :D

Just to clarify (and without sugar coating it) the extent and type of resto that the Meyers was doing to the books was so invasive that CGC felt the books were essentially being destroyed and could not in good conscience give them a "professional" designation , regardless of how "pretty" they looked superfically.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Just to clarify (and without sugar coating it) the extent and type of resto that the Meyers was doing to the books was so invasive that CGC felt the books were essentially being destroyed and could not in good conscience give them a "professional" designation , regardless of how "pretty" they looked superfically.

-J.

Suppose CGC are experts in the destruction of books lol

There is a ton of stuff within my wheelhouse. I may have to take the day off work so I can make sure I can bid !

Now, that Church copy of Phantom Lady #16 is looking like a pretty spicy and saucy dish there:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/phantom-lady-16-mile-high-pedigree-fox-features-syndicate-1948-cgc-nm-94-off-white-pages/p/7139-68004.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Should certainly build up everybody's appetite for bidding on it. Old case holder goodness too! :cloud9::takeit:

:banana: and we are off ! 4 must win books in this one for me.

Good luck !

Thanks. I am watching them closely to see how prices move relative to what I set as my max budget so I can make sure I know when to increase my max budget lol

:banana: and we are off ! 4 must win books in this one for me.

Good luck !

Thanks. I am watching them closely to see how prices move relative to what I set as my max budget so I can make sure I know when to increase my max budget lol

How many times I have gone through that scenario? :cry: