• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA August auction is shaping up to be Batman collectors dream

404 posts in this topic

You have to look at previous auction closing in the listing to see what the item is. They are listed on last page of preview. Here is Det 36 (only a 6.0)

Det 36

The Mystery Men 1 is... not uncool.

I've never seen any of those Allentown pedigree Mystery Men. Believe 1-16 were in that pedigree.

Yes indeed......a absolutely gorgeous Allentown copy of Mystery Men #1! (thumbs u

An unbeatable combination since both are toughies in their own right......the Allentown books themselves and early Fox books in grade. :cloud9:

Holy cow a VF copy of Bats 1 :o Looks beautiful!! Curious to see how much it will sell for.

Looks to be a VF- (7.5) and not a VF (8.0)

What exactly are you guys seeing here because when I click onto the link, it simply takes me to a big Heritage question mark and says that the picture is to come? ???

Does anyone know if this is a previously ungraded copy or a regrade/reholder of a known graded copy?

was a cgc 7.5 SP.... spine split sealed (now unsealed) and 2 small tear seals (now unsealed)

I'd hate to be the guy who sold that book as restored to someone who then turned it into a blue labeled 5.5. Hope this go around it's the same person.

Holy cow a VF copy of Bats 1 :o Looks beautiful!! Curious to see how much it will sell for.

What exactly are you guys seeing here because when I click onto the link, it simply takes me to a big Heritage question mark and says that the picture is to come? ???

No pic yet but ...

As per HA description:

CGC census 6/16: 2 in 7.5, 10 higher.

Further down the page they also list past 7.5 sales.

Finally, they highlight the CGC census numbers for 7.5 grade.

I sure as hell won't be bidding on any book in the new holder.

+1 I just can't take the chance.

Looks like a sad example of the effects of the new slabs. I wonder if the damage that appears to have been suffered by that book can be reversed.

I see a wave in that book. Again, can't be 100% sure no wave to start, but a 9.0 should lay pretty flat. There is also a noticeable fanning of the pages. The holder also looks to small for the book.

The Batman 17 also is getting waves.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/batman-17-dc-1943-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7139-1012.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Preview-BrowseThisAuction-120115#

So, is this where we are going to see that the graded books from the other company in equivalent condition is going to start catching up to the prices on the CGC graded books? hm(shrug)

No pic yet but ...

As per HA description:

Well, if this is the case, then how can you say that it looks like a VF- and not a VF when there is no actual picture of the book in question? At the same time, DK is saying that it looks beautiful when as you say, there is no picture to look at yet. (shrug)

No pic yet but ...

As per HA description:

Well, if this is the case, then how can you say that it looks like a VF- and not a VF when there is no actual picture of the book in question? At the same time, DK is saying that it looks beautiful when as you say, there is no picture to look at yet. (shrug)

I'm not saying it looks like a VF-, I'm affirming it is one ... going by HA item description.

I don't know how Brian is able to see a pic because I cannot see one.

No pic yet but ...

As per HA description:

I'm not saying it looks like a VF-, I'm affirming it is one ... going by HA item description.

I'm simply was using my imagination lol

No pic yet but ...

As per HA description:

I'm simply was using my imagination lol

Well, if that's the case, it's obvious your imagination is not vivid enough then. :baiting:

What I am seeing in front of me when I close my eyes is a 9.6 highest graded copy of Batman #1. :cloud9:

If this is a Boardie's book, my apologies, but I wanted to see what the seasoned collectors thought about it. Full disclosure: I am not bidding on this book, so I'm not trying to affect the price. I just have serious concerns about the new slab. Graded on May 9th.

Batman #15 CGC 9.0

To me, it looks like this poor book is just cramped in the slab. And is the wave and creep engine effect starting? It looks like the top right edge of the cover is being forced up and towards the center. Even accounting for the miscut cover, the bottom still seems well aligned.

batman15fc.jpg

The back shows the same kind of effect. The free edge looks like it is being pushed up in relation to the pages.

batman15bccorner.jpg

I wonder if this spine split was already there and I wonder what effect the high pressure on the spine will have on the split.

batman15bccloseup.jpg

With this book being tied for highest on the census and with comparable sales data available, it will be interesting to see if the new slab has any effect on the hammer price. Will this book still be a 9.0 by the time the auction ends and it can be cracked out?

There is no way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks that book is a 9.0 with that spine split! Unless the CGC graders are on crack now, I'm guessing that it must have occurred after (or during) slabbing.

If this is a Boardie's book, my apologies, but I wanted to see what the seasoned collectors thought about it. Full disclosure: I am not bidding on this book, so I'm not trying to affect the price. I just have serious concerns about the new slab. Graded on May 9th.

Batman #15 CGC 9.0

To me, it looks like this poor book is just cramped in the slab. And is the wave and creep engine effect starting? It looks like the top right edge of the cover is being forced up and towards the center. Even accounting for the miscut cover, the bottom still seems well aligned.

batman15fc.jpg

The back shows the same kind of effect. The free edge looks like it is being pushed up in relation to the pages.

batman15bccorner.jpg

I wonder if this spine split was already there and I wonder what effect the high pressure on the spine will have on the split.

batman15bccloseup.jpg

With this book being tied for highest on the census and with comparable sales data available, it will be interesting to see if the new slab has any effect on the hammer price. Will this book still be a 9.0 by the time the auction ends and it can be cracked out?

There is no way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks that book is a 9.0 with that spine split! Unless the CGC graders are on crack now, I'm guessing that it must have occurred after (or during) slabbing.

I am not 100% sure that is a spine split. The plastic of the outer case is lipped there which may be causing an optical illusion. Regardless with that about of fanning, that could take it away from a 9.0.

I am not 100% sure that is a spine split. The plastic of the outer case is lipped there which may be causing an optical illusion.

I was thinking the same thing...but, in the best case, that just takes us back to the issue of the new case making it difficult to see the "true" condition of the book (especially around the edges). Who wants to bid on it under the assumption that it's not really a spine split, but is merely an optical illusion? Raise your hand. :eek:

Indeed. Lots of OA lately.

Yeah, in their last auction there was some nice books, but I think CLink may actually have had more high-dollar GA books.

Probably got something to do with their auction fees of almost 30% versus only around 10% for both CC and CL. Ah, competition is good for the consignors. (thumbs u

Wonder if Heritage's customer base can generate the additional 20% for consignor's to consider listing their books with Heritage as opposed to the other two major auction sites? (shrug)

HA is pretty easy to negotiate with. Anyone selling decent stuff shouldn't be paying the full vig.

They shouldn't be paying anything...

Indeed. Lots of OA lately.

Yeah, in their last auction there was some nice books, but I think CLink may actually have had more high-dollar GA books.

Probably got something to do with their auction fees of almost 30% versus only around 10% for both CC and CL. Ah, competition is good for the consignors. (thumbs u

Wonder if Heritage's customer base can generate the additional 20% for consignor's to consider listing their books with Heritage as opposed to the other two major auction sites? (shrug)

HA is pretty easy to negotiate with. Anyone selling decent stuff shouldn't be paying the full vig.

They shouldn't be paying anything...

I'm not sure zero revenue works as a business model. :D